Hi everybody, Can I get some advice?

ConorGillen

Hi guys. I am so glad I found this forum, listening to all you guys has been a real help. I was wondering if I can get some advice.

Here is the thing, I started noticing my hair loss about 4 months ago and it totally shocked me. I do not really have a family history of hair loss. My mom's family all have their hair and my dad's family all have their hair except for one unlce (out of 10 total children). It started with a thinning in the front to the point I couldnt spike my hair up anymore, and now i've noticed the crown getting worse. I had incredibly thick hair my whole life, so it isnt really noticible yet,(no noticible bald parts) but I am so worried about it becasue it is getting really thin.

I am not a very attractive man to begin with, but I have been dating this incredibly beautiful girl for four months and I am so worried about what she'll think. I cannot sleep at night when I think about what I'll look like w/o hair.

So guys (and gals i guess) what do you recommend for me. I went to the doctor and got Propecia and have been using Rogaine (even though it itches my scalp like a SOB). C

1.) Can I take more than one Propecia a day?

2.) Can Rogaine help me keep (not regrow) some hair in the frontal area?

3.) What shampoo should I use? (and how often)

4.) Do B-12 vitamins help

5.) Anything else to help thicken/strengthen hair?

6.)Any other meds I can take?

7.)Does wearing a hat hurt my hair?

Nobody in my family has lost hair this early and It has bothered my so much.It hasnt got too bad yet, but it will and I want to be proactive.

Thanks for ANY help you can afford.

Hi guys. I am so glad I found this forum, listening to all you guys has been a real help. I was wondering if I can get some advice.

Here is the thing, I started noticing my hair loss about 4 months ago and it totally shocked me. I do not really have a family history of hair loss. My mom's family all have their hair and my dad's family all have their hair except for one unlce (out of 10 total children). It started with a thinning in the front to the point I couldnt spike my hair up anymore, and now i've noticed the crown getting worse. I had incredibly thick hair my whole life, so it isnt really noticible yet,(no noticible bald parts) but I am so worried about it becasue it is getting really thin.

I am not a very attractive man to begin with, but I have been dating this incredibly beautiful girl for four months and I am so worried about what she'll think. I cannot sleep at night when I think about what I'll look like w/o hair.

So guys (and gals i guess) what do you recommend for me. I went to the doctor and got Propecia and have been using Rogaine (even though it itches my scalp like a SOB). C

1.) Can I take more than one Propecia a day?

2.) Can Rogaine help me keep (not regrow) some hair in the frontal area?

3.) What shampoo should I use? (and how often)

4.) Do B-12 vitamins help

5.) Anything else to help thicken/strengthen hair?

6.)Any other meds I can take?

7.)Does wearing a hat hurt my hair?

Nobody in my family has lost hair this early and It has bothered my so much.It hasnt got too bad yet, but it will and I want to be proactive.

Thanks for ANY help you can afford.

ConorGillen,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Propecia and Rogaine are the two best non surgical treatments available to treat hair loss. Using them in combination with one another gives you the greatest chance of stopping hair loss and regrowing hair. Adding Nizoral or Revita shampoo which contains active ingredient ketoconazole may help as an adjunct treatment. Revita can be used every day whereas Nizoral (especially the 2% ketoconazole) should only be used 2 or 3 times a week as it can be a bit harsh on the scalp and hair causing dryness.

It is recommended only to take one Propecia (finasteride) tablet per day up to 1mg.

Vitamins are good for all around health however, I'm not convinced that Vitamin B-12 will help combat hair loss. There is some evidence to suggest however, that Vitamin E may be of some benefit. Read more about Vitamin E.

There are a number of other so-called hair loss treatments of which, in my opinion, are all questionable (including Vitamin E). Be sure to do your research before considering investing money in any of the others.

Wearing a hat will not cause hair loss. This is a hair loss myth.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have another question...

When I apply Rogaine in the morning, do I need to wash my hair before I re-apply in the evening? I typically put it on at 10:00 am and pm. What is the ideal routine for applying Rogaine? I put it on after I shower at night, but should I shower again before I reapply. My hair feels kinda nappy when I have two applications on there at one time. But, I hate washing my hair so much because I shed so much when I wash...

Also, I've been noticing a lot of dandruff, is this a possible side effect

Conor,

You do not have to shower before re-applying Rogaine Foam. I have heard however from Dr. Glenn Charles, one of our well respected Coalition hair restoration physicians, that only one application of Rogaine Foam per day is necessary. If you apply it once, applying it an hour or so before bed is probably ideal if you shower in the morning. If you shower at night, give yourself some time for your hair to dry a bit before applying the Rogaine Foam.

Best wishes,

Bill