Strip vs FIT... which is better?

jjones411

The end results is what really counts and in good hands both strip and FUE will come up with same results.

It is just a question if you are prepared to have a huge scar on the back of your head for the rest of your life. Up to about a year ago there was no alternavive to strip procedure (except Woods). Now you have a choice. FUE/FIT is more expensive then strip at present.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

I've given this very topic some thought myself and for me the answer is pretty obvious.

I will probably be hunted down by my folically challenged brothers on this forum for saying this but, FUE/FIT must be the superior choice, especially if you have a virgin scalp and can wait a year (or more) or so until the prices starts to fall.

The reason for me saying this is due to the fact that even after the HT we will keep on loosing more hair. Propecia and other drugs may halt it temporarily but not indefinately.

If you keep on loosing hair after your procedure you may want to buzz cut your hair, especially if you have a HT hairline. We all know that a buzz cut looks better when there is a "shadow" of a hairlline to frame the face, even if the crown is thin. (look at Vin DIESEL)

When you've had Strip surgery you are COMMITED to keep on doing more and more and more HT's for the rest of you life because when as your hairloss progresses it needs maintenance.

If you buzz cut your hair after having a strip surgerey it is likely to look terrible because of the scar.

Should you buzz cut your hair after a FUE/FIT nobody will notice.

However, it would be a good idea to wait a bit for FUE as it is still new, way too expensive and sofar pretty limited. (There are at present no decent megasessions documented but thats just a matter of time I beleive)

My two cents

El Guapo

All this talk about scars being so evident but are they really? I have seen 2 guys close up who buzzed their heads extremely close. Both had procedures and both had to point out where the scars where to me. We all look at pictures of scars that are from a few weeks to a few months old. The ones that I have seen that are several years old were virtually non existant.

Bluesman,

I agree with you. Scars aren't always as obvious. I buzz my hair to a #2 guard at the moment, I feel that by a year out from my strip HT, I'll be down to at least a #1 guard or possibly a no guard.

Even at a #2 guard (which is pretty short by the way), not a single person has noticed anything....and I'm surrounded by people who are VERY observant and VERY quick to point out flaws, ask details, pry etc.

jjones- I needed 5000 grafts to get the density I needed, and I was a NW5a... My choice was pretty easy because my hairline was almost like my dad's hairline and he's 73 years old. It was pretty obvious that I was headed in the same direction. His crown was a little farther gone, that's why I'm on Proscar and Minox 5%. While I do agree that after time (years) meds may stop working. If so, I'll switch to Avodart. If (after years) that stops working, I'll switch to whatever is the "new med on the block". Also- If all else fails and meds just QUIT working all together. I still have more donor hair to fill that crown. If all goes to hell and THAT fails, So- I'll have a bald crown- I am covered now right back to the crown now with my 5200 grafts...

I think it all depends on the individual. You keep reading and asking- You're heading in the right direction.

My take on FUE- I haven't seen results from 5-6000 graft sessions. I'm hoping to- I'd say that if you really want FUE, wait for a while- See if some great results come out. I think there's been a handfull of larger sessions done lately- If the outcome is good- We should be seeing pictures. If NOT, we won't.

If you want to see what 5200 grafts looks like on a NW5a have a look:

FUTzy's web page

Keep in mind I'm only 4 months post op from my second HT so I have 60% more density to come. (60% of the 2219 grafts that is...)

FUTzyhead