Prostate Treatment Shrinks Penis

jackisback1

Ruh Roh. I came across this article on MSNBC http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16582687/ Now in the article, it stipulates that it's really the radiation that causes the shrinkage here. But let's not be naive, if prostate treatments are used on our hair, and some prostate treatments cause your penis to shrivel up, is it possible that other prostate treatments could do so too (albeit to a lesser extent)? Pretty alarming stats in the article: before treatment the average penis length was 5.6 inches, and 18 months later 3.4 inches. Personally I could be willing to lose an inch to slow my hair loss down, but definitely not two! Reading this along with all the stuff at that site i think it's ask a patient where everybody insists that propecia kills your sex forever has done a little bit to scare me. What do you guys think?

• Moderators

If you read the article, it says most of them no longer get erections because of all the medication and radiation they are on. It's pretty obvious that if you mesure your erection BEFORE you go on meds and then measure your non erect penis AFTER the meds, it will of course be a few inches shorter. I don't think it takes a study to know that.

The article didn't say if they went back to getting erections once they stopped the radiation (which I think probably caused most of it) and meds.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.