shock Loss

Pastor

Can somebody explain to me what exactly is shock loss and let me know how many grafts are necessary for an area that is 4X4 on the crown of the head. I dont know much about FU versus minigrafts, but Im scared now that I read some of your comments. I just had a procedure done where I had 400 minigrafts (3-4 hairs each) placed in the crown of my head and I hope it comes out ok.

Can somebody explain to me what exactly is shock loss and let me know how many grafts are necessary for an area that is 4X4 on the crown of the head. I dont know much about FU versus minigrafts, but Im scared now that I read some of your comments. I just had a procedure done where I had 400 minigrafts (3-4 hairs each) placed in the crown of my head and I hope it comes out ok.

Shock loss is when the surgery accelerates your hair loss in non-transplanted hair. Depending on the patient's characteristics, that hair may return or be lost for good. It probably depends on how fragile that hair was prior to surgery. Shock loss is why most people suggest that a guy stablize his hair loss (with Propecia etc) before getting a transplant. If you are in a hair loss "free fall" when you get your transplant (losing hair fast) it is possible that shock loss will hit you harder. Some guys suffer shock loss, others have no problems with it whatsoever. Again, shock loss is something that affects the natural remaining hair you might still have, not the transplanted grafts.

Shock loss is a different phenomena than the routine dormant phase your grafts go into, a few weeks after surgery. The grafted hairs will fall out after a few weeks, then be dormant. In about 10 weeks they will begin to grow, and emerge from your scalp.

It is troubling that your clinic did not discuss these issues with you before your surgery.