Propecia vs Proscar

I know a lot of people take Proscar (but cutting the pills into quarters) here rather than Propecia to save cost...so I have a couple questions.

1. Is the finasteride evenly distributed in the pill?

2. Do you feel that taking Proscar is as effective as taking Propecia?

3. Are there any negatives about taking Proscar verses Propecia? AKA, any additional risks or possible side effects?

4. How would I go about getting a prescription for Proscar?

Thanks for your help!

Edit ---> This can be moved under hairloss drugs section if you feel it's more appropriate

Bill

Bill-

I'm far from an expert but will reply to your Q's as best I can:

1. This has been mentioned before. From what I've read and understand it's not a concern. My goal when quartering is to "at least" get 1mg per dose and I think I do. Is there a chance that one of those quarters has 85% of the Fin and the other 3 contain 5% each, I highly doubt it.

2. Yes..........but, I've not taken Propecia....only Proscar. We both know it's all Finasteride so in essence it's the same thing anyway.

3. No..........again, the active ingredients are the same. Proscar just packs more of a punch at 5mg versus Propecia's 1mg. When Proscar is quartered they are the same............I suppose in a perfect world if you were a Proscar quarterer extraordinaire you'd have 1.25mg doses of proscar while having a 1mg dose with Propecia.

4. I'd try asking the same person who issued you the script for Propecia. My first HT doc gave me my choice between the two since they are the same as long as you quarter the proscar. If not your HT doc, try your General Practioner.

To give you an idea of cost..........I paid $78 for 30 generic Proscar pills from Walmart. In addition, at Dr. Wong's recommendation, I take it every other day so this supply will last me 8 months. You can compare this with what you pay for Propecia.

I really don't see any reason for a person to opt for Propecia versus quartering Proscar unless they just don't want to cut the pills (takes about 10 seconds or so when you're used to it). Actually, the generic Proscar is round versus name brand Proscar being pentagon shaped so generic is easier to cut.

I don't want to split hairs (pun intended icon_biggrin.gif), but the decision to opt for Proscar was a no-brainer for me!

Hope this helps, Bill.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I used propecia for about six months before changing over to proscar (real proscar cut into 1/4). I don't see any difference. From my understanding some doctors even suggest taking propecia every other day. So if you are taking 1/4 proscar daily, and some of it is less than 1mg, then that has to be at least better than not taking it at all.

I've been on proscar now for 9 months (so 15 months total on the drug) and my crown is for sure thicker, and I have a few scatterred newer hairs in my hairline. I seem to have slowed greatly my hairloss by using the drug this way.

ian

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.