New Yorkers or anybody else?? PLEASE READ??

Has anyone gotten a transplant by the NHI in NYC? I have a consultation tomorrow with Dr Bernstein, and while my hair loss isn't out of control YET, it's on it's way there. Any positive or negative expieriences? I am SERIOUSLY apprehensive about getting transplant surgery done. i've been wearing my hair bald for the past 2 years, nothing new to me really, used to shave it every so often in the summer, but lately my hair loss is beyond noticable, thinning like mad. I look fine with a bald head, if i get a transplant and end up needing 2 or 3 more, is shaving my head again out of the question due to scarring?

I know it's alot of questions, but any that y'all can address would be helpful, i would like the opinion of ppl who've had it done besides the surgeon...anyone?? icon_confused.gif

Has anyone gotten a transplant by the NHI in NYC? I have a consultation tomorrow with Dr Bernstein, and while my hair loss isn't out of control YET, it's on it's way there. Any positive or negative expieriences? I am SERIOUSLY apprehensive about getting transplant surgery done. i've been wearing my hair bald for the past 2 years, nothing new to me really, used to shave it every so often in the summer, but lately my hair loss is beyond noticable, thinning like mad. I look fine with a bald head, if i get a transplant and end up needing 2 or 3 more, is shaving my head again out of the question due to scarring?

I know it's alot of questions, but any that y'all can address would be helpful, i would like the opinion of ppl who've had it done besides the surgeon...anyone?? icon_confused.gif

Dr. Bernstein is a good person to consult with. Remember, you are only going in to talk to him tomorrow, not get a surgery yet. You still have plenty of time to think things over. So don't be nervous.

My experience is that Dr. Bernstein does not try to talk anyone into a hair transplant, unlike many other clinics. Dr. Bernstein was recently on the Discovery Channel, on a program about cosmetic surgery. He said guys who are thinning should get on Propecia, and hopefully they will never need a transplant in the first place. The point is that he's willing to lose patients and potential income, in order to give out good advice. I think you can feel safe with him.

How educated are you about hair transplants? The more you know about HT, the more in-depth you can get during your consultation.

Look at the NHI website from top to bottom:

www.newhair.com I think Dr. Bernstein is responsible for a lot of the content of the website, so you can get a good idea of what his philosophies are, by reading the site. Unlike most HT websites, the NHI website puts an emphasis on patient education, rather than "sales".

Ask Dr. Bernstein if you can see some patients in person first, if you think you might decide to go ahead and get a HT.

Good luck. Take your time and weigh your options carefully. And if Dr. Bernstein gives you advice, I would take it.

PS: shaving your head is pretty much never an option after a hair transplant. I'm sure it's been done, but HT create scars. You should assume that the scars will prevent your shaved head from looking good.

i am sort of educated about it. i've been reading alot more lately that i've been seriously considering it, that's why i scheduled an appt to s/w Dr Bernstein. My biggest thing is the scarring. cause even with a HT, i usually fade my hair in from the back up pretty close, almost bald, so it adds to my indecision regarding the whole HT thing. and then there's the 'shock loss' thing i've found out about...eek....

I appreciate ya thoughts though. icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

anyone HAD a HT from Dr Bernstien?? good or bad, lemme know! icon_biggrin.gif