Need the fellas advice-Helping Out an HT Victim

Hey guys

Get enough of me yet??

I am trying to help a young woman, who is kinda in the same boat as myself, but I think her issue may be more negative than mine.. at the moment.

Her story is that she has a high forehead, NOT hair loss. She said she went to wonderful Bosley for the transplant to lower the hairline on the forehead, 2 YEARS AGO.

She mentioned that the grafts grew in just fine, but she said about two weeks after the procedure, her hair started to fall out all over her head.

She said it has been two years, and it is still falling out. Of course, Bosley told her it was just shock, and that if the hairs are meant to come back, they will.

I never heard of shock loss lasting two years.

Do any of you guys think it is possible? Or does anyone have any other suggestions as to why this might happen? (Besides the fact that it is Bosley, remember, i went there too...so dont give me a heart attack here!!!)

Actually this lady already did...

Thank Guys

Jenn

Hey guys

Get enough of me yet??

I am trying to help a young woman, who is kinda in the same boat as myself, but I think her issue may be more negative than mine.. at the moment.

Her story is that she has a high forehead, NOT hair loss. She said she went to wonderful Bosley for the transplant to lower the hairline on the forehead, 2 YEARS AGO.

She mentioned that the grafts grew in just fine, but she said about two weeks after the procedure, her hair started to fall out all over her head.

She said it has been two years, and it is still falling out. Of course, Bosley told her it was just shock, and that if the hairs are meant to come back, they will.

I never heard of shock loss lasting two years.

Do any of you guys think it is possible? Or does anyone have any other suggestions as to why this might happen? (Besides the fact that it is Bosley, remember, i went there too...so dont give me a heart attack here!!!)

Actually this lady already did...

Thank Guys

Jenn

It could be shock loss, because shock loss can be permanent.

It's possible she has diffuse hair loss, so she has a lot of "at risk" hairs. The shock loss is an issue with hairs that are at risk. If this is the case, I feel sorry for her.

In my opinion, people who have severe negative results should consider suing their clinics. The statute of limitations is usually short (2 years), too short for many people to figure out what is happening in time...

I have seen firsthand also where getting a transplant has actually accelerated a persons hairloss at an alarming rate. This one guy was thinning very slowly over 20 years...got a transplant and then within a year was completely bald aside from the few hundred grafts he had done. Not saying this is the cause but is a possibilty.

Guest dude1

How common is shock loss? It seems to be something HT doctors rarely talk about. In your opinion do most patients experience some shock loss and others (perhaps susceptable to it for whatever reason) experience it to a much greater degree? The reason I ask is that it seems to defeat the purpose of a HT, unless of course the shed hair does grow back in time.

I don't know what the percentages are, and I doubt anyone is keeping track of it. Many doctors don't tell their patients about it, and some docs even claim it doesn't exist or isn't an issue.

Shock loss is a reason why it is best to have stablized your hair loss first (either with Propecia, or have no more hair to lose) before getting transplant, rather than being in a hair loss "free-fall". It's also why small sessions can (in my opinion) often be a bad idea- you sometimes end up with a net loss in the end, instead of a net gain (this may a bigger issue with small strip sessions, as opposed to small FUE sessions).

It's also a factor (in my opinion) with guys with diffuse thinning, as opposed to guys with distinct areas of hair loss. I think diffuse thinners need to be aware that thickening diffuse hairloss with transplants can put them at risk for shock loss, whereas if you have a distinct area of hair loss, that area is a clean slate for surgery.