Propecia Side Effects

andy22

I know this question was beaten around a bit but I couldn't find any relatively recent information on the subject.

I was browsing around at askapatient.com and found something that concerned me somewhat. The reviews about Propecia seem to be startlingly negative. Many have noted several, quite severe side effects to the drug and also noted that the effects didn't necessarily stop after quitting Propecia.

What should we make of these 'first hand accounts'? Of course, we really don't know who is actually making these posts, their intentions, and whether the psychological factor of taking a drug is having an effect.

From what I have gathered from this forum, however, it seems like the side effects were more manageable and less common.

Here's a quick link to the reviews (I don't like linking other websites but for ease of researching I see no problems with doing so here): http://askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20788&name=PROPECIA

I know this question was beaten around a bit but I couldn't find any relatively recent information on the subject.

I was browsing around at askapatient.com and found something that concerned me somewhat. The reviews about Propecia seem to be startlingly negative. Many have noted several, quite severe side effects to the drug and also noted that the effects didn't necessarily stop after quitting Propecia.

What should we make of these 'first hand accounts'? Of course, we really don't know who is actually making these posts, their intentions, and whether the psychological factor of taking a drug is having an effect.

From what I have gathered from this forum, however, it seems like the side effects were more manageable and less common.

Here's a quick link to the reviews (I don't like linking other websites but for ease of researching I see no problems with doing so here): http://askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20788&name=PROPECIA

andy22,

I must admit..............I got a little scared while reading the information on that site.....and I have taken Finasteride for the last 1 yr & 3 mo.

I "may" have noticed a decrease in sex drive. I'm not really sure as that naturally happens a little as you age and I just turned 40 late last year. I still have the desire for sex and no problem with erections. As for "man boobs" and a "beer belly" (I don't drink)...........I've experienced neither of them. My chest still looks like a mans chest and I have a 34" waistline which i've kept since my college days..............though it has taken more effort to maintain the past 5-10 years icon_smile.gif.

My dosage is every other day.......maybe this helps to have less sides, I'm not sure icon_confused.gif?? I think I'm safe in saying "most" people on this site who take Fin don't have the problem with the sides.

My advice to you would be this..................try it for a couple of months and see how you do. If you experience some of the sides, you can likely quit taking it early on without much risk of effecting your hairloss one way or the other. I do believe some of these folks who say they have memory loss, brain fog....etc, may have other issues contributing to this or are possibly experiencing "self-induced" sides. I'm not making any accusations whatsoever..............just realize that if you're not careful, you can worry yourself literally sick and unhealthly.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Andy,

I have read those reviews and I have to admit that some of it seems a little scary at first glance, the idea that it can cause all of those side effects is unbeleivable.

Like you say some of them could possibly be marketing ploys by their competition, who knows.

Like hairbank has said you can try it for a few months to see how you go.

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.