Consult with Dr. Tessler

NervousNelly

I just wanted to update things regarding my consult with Dr. Tessler today as I stated I would do. Please see my photos posted under the photo album section.

For those of you that don't know, Dr. Tessler is in Southfield Michigan which is essentially a suburb of the Detroit area. He is a coalition doc that has been featured on this site by Pat. He is described by Pat as a hidden gem and really there is not a whole lot about him on-line or very little in terms of unsolicited patient photos.

The office itself is in a large medical facility with several different disciplines under one roof. He personally shares a large office space with a dermatologist. This is a little weird as you are in the waiting room with patients for dermatological issues and those seeking HT info. I can see the relation but it was different than previous doc 16 yrs ago who had a stand alone facility and if you were there it was for HT only.

Dr. Tessler himself is a very nice man and did spend a decent amount of time with me answering the questions that I had. I consider him a straightshooter that doesn't BS and tells it like it is. I appreciate that. I believe that he is relatively conservative but that is not necessarily a strike against him as safety and consistent quality results are his primary goals.

He told me that he recommended between 1500 and 1800 FU in the frontal region that could produce a density of approx 40 cm2 with existing hair. There is no need for removal of old plugs and just believed that it would help with density. That is a relief but essentially what all of you told me. He did say that he would possibly be able to harvest 2800 FU from donor area at this time to limit any fears of issues and would recommend putting approx. 1000 Fu in the crown if I wanted. Due to lack of scalp laxity this is why the limited number plus he was fairly comfortable that it would limit shock loss and I could return to work in 2 weeks. He estimated my donor density at approx. 90 cm2. The one bummer is that he DOES NOT believe that he could incorporate the existing scar from previous HT as is is too low on my scalp towards the neck. I think B spot illuded to this as a possibility. He does believe that my donor area should be OK for future work if I want/need it. The price quoted is $7800 for 1800 FU, $11300 fo 2800 FU. The photos that he showed me were the same ones on his website(good work but poor light and few) that he himself did feel he needed to work on but admitted that they are very busy and he himself is considering slowing down. I asked for patient names to contact and he said that it was not a problem but then I never did receive. This could just be an oversight and I will e-mail his office girl for the reference. I do plan on seeing Ron Shapiro next to get his opinion.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I just wanted to update things regarding my consult with Dr. Tessler today as I stated I would do. Please see my photos posted under the photo album section.

For those of you that don't know, Dr. Tessler is in Southfield Michigan which is essentially a suburb of the Detroit area. He is a coalition doc that has been featured on this site by Pat. He is described by Pat as a hidden gem and really there is not a whole lot about him on-line or very little in terms of unsolicited patient photos.

The office itself is in a large medical facility with several different disciplines under one roof. He personally shares a large office space with a dermatologist. This is a little weird as you are in the waiting room with patients for dermatological issues and those seeking HT info. I can see the relation but it was different than previous doc 16 yrs ago who had a stand alone facility and if you were there it was for HT only.

Dr. Tessler himself is a very nice man and did spend a decent amount of time with me answering the questions that I had. I consider him a straightshooter that doesn't BS and tells it like it is. I appreciate that. I believe that he is relatively conservative but that is not necessarily a strike against him as safety and consistent quality results are his primary goals.

He told me that he recommended between 1500 and 1800 FU in the frontal region that could produce a density of approx 40 cm2 with existing hair. There is no need for removal of old plugs and just believed that it would help with density. That is a relief but essentially what all of you told me. He did say that he would possibly be able to harvest 2800 FU from donor area at this time to limit any fears of issues and would recommend putting approx. 1000 Fu in the crown if I wanted. Due to lack of scalp laxity this is why the limited number plus he was fairly comfortable that it would limit shock loss and I could return to work in 2 weeks. He estimated my donor density at approx. 90 cm2. The one bummer is that he DOES NOT believe that he could incorporate the existing scar from previous HT as is is too low on my scalp towards the neck. I think B spot illuded to this as a possibility. He does believe that my donor area should be OK for future work if I want/need it. The price quoted is $7800 for 1800 FU, $11300 fo 2800 FU. The photos that he showed me were the same ones on his website(good work but poor light and few) that he himself did feel he needed to work on but admitted that they are very busy and he himself is considering slowing down. I asked for patient names to contact and he said that it was not a problem but then I never did receive. This could just be an oversight and I will e-mail his office girl for the reference. I do plan on seeing Ron Shapiro next to get his opinion.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN, thank you for posting such a detailed description of your visit to Dr. Tessler.

I think his assessment of your needs is very good, with his 1800 to provide further density to your front and 1000 to the crown. Obviously, the 1000 to the crown would just be adding density while you are doing a session.

I think your visit to Shapiro Medical will confirm this.

I am sorry to hear that my fears may have been realized with the placement of your previous scar.

I am eager to hear if Dr. Shapiro has any contrasting suggestions as to what can be done to incorporate your existing scar.

I will say that most likely an additional incision will be necessary, but it is always best to get a second opinion, especially from one of the best.

My question to you is this: When you feel the bump on the back of your head, right where the neck and head "meet" (occipital protuberance) where is your scar in relationship to this?

Above, Below, or right on top of this?

In any case, you can probably do a small FUE session to break up the existing scar if necessary. I however, think that you have significant hair left, so perhaps a second smaller scar is no big deal.

Please let me know about your visit to Shapiro Medical and thanks again for the positive feedback on Dr. Tessler.

PS. Let us know if he sends you the patient phone #'s.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I would have to guess that it is right on top of the protuberance and this is why Dr. Tessler said it would be a challenge and really didn't want to try for fears of worse issues. This sucks but considering my hairline is OK for an 80's HT I guess I am lucky. I specifically asked about donor area and I never got a figure out of him but he did say that it is pretty thick and a I shouldn't have a problem with an additional future procedure. FUE would be viable as I really would love to be able to cut the hair shorter. First things first however. I'm sure that I will here the same from Shapiro as from what I understand they are friends and have similar philosophies. Shapiro apparently has made recommendations of Tessler. Thanks for getting back.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN, you know, Dr. Shapiro may be able to use the edge of your existing scar leaving you a bit wider scar, but only one scar at least.

Then you can go back for a small scar revision if needed later.

Let us know how your consult goes!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.