question/guidance on treatments

I would say I am a 3 to a 4 on the norwood scale right now...I am 36 and am not really concerned with hair regrowth...

That being said, i would like to keep what I have...I am not on propecia or rogaine..but if thats what it takes then fine...

I have heard that propecia works well in back but not in front....

What is the preferred method for keeping what ya got in front and back?

By the way, yesterday I posted a message concerning a HT appointment on dec 26 with dr. robert leonard and the hesitation i had....I got some very helpful advice and canceled the appointment...So thanx to u all

hi hairhead,its got to be finastride and minoxidol.fin will basically(hopefully)stop hairloss in its tracks.min has been reported to work for the front,not in my experience though.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

hairhead,

i've been on propecia over 6 years now and i've pretty much been able to maintain my hair in the front--hairline maybe slipped a little; but for the most part it has stabalized my hairloss in the front and back

hairhead,

Balody and dhoose75 are correct. Propecia and Rogaine are the best chances you have. However, if you are not losing any hair or your hair loss has stabilized on it's own, you could always take the risk and not use anything. But again, it is simply that...a risk. Hair loss after all is progressive and unpredictable.

Best wishes,

Bill

The whole issue of Propecia or Rogaine only working in the crown/vertex region of the scalp is totally false. The reason the two companies have to say that in their advertizing is that the studies they conducted on their drugs were done in those areas, and, because of the strict rules of the FDA, one can only say a drug works in the area in which you studied it. I have had many, many patients given either or both drugs who have benefited in all other areas of the scalp, including the midscalp on top, the frontal region, and even rarely in the balding recessions in front.

Topical minoxidil and oral finasteride do work synergistically, but I find most men aren't motivated enough or willing to invest the money into taking both. Research also shows that the prescription-strength Nizoral shampoo in the 2% form may have a slight pro-growth effect on hair also.

I'm still somewhat of a skeptic on laser and would want to see far more convincing proof before making it a routine recommendation in my practice.

Mike Beehner, M.D.