Chaparral Study (DHT)

blowdry

Chaparral (Larrea tridentata) or known as the creosote bush is common in the Sonoran deserts of Mexico and the American southwest. The leaves and stems of L. tridentata contain high quantities of the phenolic compound: nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA).

In a recent study printed in the 2009 addition of; European Journal of Pharmacology conducted by: U.C. San Francisco department of medicine concluded:

"NDGA blocks the DHT-induced growth of LAPC-4 prostate cancer cells by several mechanisms including rapid inhibition of the IGF-1R kinase, and a dose-dependent inhibition of androgen stimulation of IGF-1R expression."

In another study conducted by: Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research at San Francisco/Mt. Zion Medical Center and published in; Breast Cancer Research and Treatment stated:

"We can now attribute certain of these anti-cancer properties in breast cancer cells to the ability of NDGA to directly inhibit the function of two receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs), the insulin-like growth factor receptor (IGF-1R) and the c-erbB2/HER2/neu (HER2/neu) receptor."

Combined research from Department of Chemistry, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan; Department of Chemistry, National Central University, Taiwan; and Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, concluded:

"A series of new nordihydroguaiaretic acid derivatives were prepared and screened, which exhibited inhibitory activity against HIV ... These new compounds exerted appealing activity against HIV Tat-regulated transactivation in human epithelial cells."

An earlier study was published conducted by Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; The Ben May Institute for Cancer Research; and The Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, University of Chicago which demonstrated a direct inhibition of 5?±-reductase type I, which can prevent the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It has been well documented that DHT is the primary cause of androgenic alopecia among other androgen-dependent disorders such as prostate cancer. The study states (paraphrased):

"Certain natural products contain components that are inhibitors of 5?±-reductase. Some compounds were more effective inhibitors of the type 1 isozyme, including nordihydroguaiaretic acid NDGA among others"

Chaparral side effects:

Several cases have been reported which include; allergic reactions including rashes, itching, inflammation of the mouth and fever. In some reported cased ingestion of chaparral has lead to hepatoxicity and kidney failure. It may also increase blood sugar levels an act as a blood thinner.

Chaparral drugs interactions:

Chaparral may also cause an under-expression of the liver enzyme cytochrome P450 causing the levels of other drugs or supplements to rise leading to drug side effects.

• 3 months later...

Hey Blowdry,

You may appear to be smart but you're nothing but a rip-off artist. Next time you steal someone else writing by coping it verbatim and then re-posting it on another forum at least have the decency to give credit to the original author! Better yet, just post the link to the original author's work instead! This post is total plagiarism !!!!!!!

Original article and author: (compare posted dates):

(promotional link removed)

Hard Core Real Hair Club Member

Posted October 16, 2009 10:30 AM

Chaparral (Larrea tridentata) or known as the creosote bush is common in the Sonoran deserts of Mexico and the American southwest. The leaves and stems of L. tridentata contain high quantities of the phenolic compound: nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA).

In a recent study printed in the 2009 addition of; European Journal of Pharmacology conducted by: U.C. San Francisco department of medicine concluded:

"NDGA blocks the DHT-induced growth of LAPC-4 prostate cancer cells by several mechanisms including rapid inhibition of the IGF-1R kinase, and a dose-dependent inhibition of androgen stimulation of IGF-1R expression."

In another study conducted by: Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research at San Francisco/Mt. Zion Medical Center and published in; Breast Cancer Research and Treatment stated:

"We can now attribute certain of these anti-cancer properties in breast cancer cells to the ability of NDGA to directly inhibit the function of two receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs), the insulin-like growth factor receptor (IGF-1R) and the c-erbB2/HER2/neu (HER2/neu) receptor."

Combined research from Department of Chemistry, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan; Department of Chemistry, National Central University, Taiwan; and Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, concluded:

"A series of new nordihydroguaiaretic acid derivatives were prepared and screened, which exhibited inhibitory activity against HIV ... These new compounds exerted appealing activity against HIV Tat-regulated transactivation in human epithelial cells."

An earlier study was published conducted by Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; The Ben May Institute for Cancer Research; and The Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, University of Chicago which demonstrated a direct inhibition of 5?±-reductase type I, which can prevent the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It has been well documented that DHT is the primary cause of androgenic alopecia among other androgen-dependent disorders such as prostate cancer. The study states (paraphrased):

"Certain natural products contain components that are inhibitors of 5?±-reductase. Some compounds were more effective inhibitors of the type 1 isozyme, including nordihydroguaiaretic acid NDGA among others"

Chaparral side effects:

Several cases have been reported which include; allergic reactions including rashes, itching, inflammation of the mouth and fever. In some reported cased ingestion of chaparral has lead to hepatoxicity and kidney failure. It may also increase blood sugar levels an act as a blood thinner.

Chaparral drugs interactions:

Chaparral may also cause an under-expression of the liver enzyme cytochrome P450 causing the levels of other drugs or supplements to rise leading to drug side effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Zima,

And who exactly is "Tom", registered member of your forum? It appears to me that Tom isnt' the original author, but just someone who also copied and pasted public content to your forum to share its content with the public.

So unless you can prove to me that this registered member Tom from your forum wrote the article himself and its content is copyrighted, I'd appreciate if you follow the rules of our community and not promote your forum on our site. Read our terms of service for more information.

Bill

First of all that is not my forum and I don't know why you assumed that.

I did a google search for the topic I was looking for and I came up with both forums. Informing someone they are copying another persons post is the right thing to do.

The well-researched post that the original poster created, sited clinical studies just like any research paper or document might do.

The issue is not with the citations that the original author used to draw his conclusion, but the context in the way it was written. Authors who use reference material either as inline quotes, citations, bibliographies, etc. are not claiming first rights to their source material (this is in fact why they site their sources) but the context in the way the research paper or article was written.

Quoted or sited research articles written for the internet are automatically copyrighted and belong to the original (1st) author the moment the article(s) are posted publicly by that original author. As per your request, I read your TOS and Blowdry's post is in violation of it.

Since your member Blowdry copied a research article verbatim from the original author (the automatic copyright holder) without proper credit to the original author, that constitutes plagiarism and copyright infringement.

If you were in a university writing a research paper and the guy next to you wrote his on the same topic using some of the same source material there would be no issue with that. However if you photo copied his paper exactly the way he wrote it and turned it in with your name on it, that is stealing some other's work.

The poster Blowdry, clearly and blatantly copied verbatim the original authors researched forum post. Quite frankly I'm taken back by the fact that you were unable to see this logically when it is so blatantly obvious.

The fact that you deleted the link to the original authors work so that person can not get proper credit is very troubling. It just proves to everyone that you support this type of plagiarism on your forum and demonstrates your lack of integrity.

Originally posted by Bill - Managing Publisher:

Zima,

And who exactly is "Tom", registered member of your forum? It appears to me that Tom isnt' the original author, but just someone who also copied and pasted public content to your forum to share its content with the public.

So unless you can prove to me that this registered member Tom from your forum wrote the article himself and its content is copyrighted, I'd appreciate if you follow the rules of our community and not promote your forum on our site. Read our terms of service for more information.

Bill

Zima,

The only thing obvious to me is that you came here specifically to accuse a poster of what you don't even know to be true rather than to find or research or find any legitimate information.

I see no immediate evidence to suggest that the information found on the other forum was written or published by the poster "Tom" who is just a "registered member" on the other forum. Typically such studies and articles are written by physicians, researchers, or someone with obvious influence. But if you can prove it to me that "Tom" wrote the article, I'll provide the reference.

Additionally, I just tried doing several searches on Google for the content in the above message and couldn't even find links to the other forum you linked to anywhere. So why don't you tell me the magical search keyphrase you used to find the article both on this and the other forum. Otherwise, I think you're smart enough to figure out why I'd assume you're a representative from the other forum.

Bill

No, I came here from a search engine keyword search while doing research on this herb.

Obviously you didn't try hard enough. I searched BING for some of the claimed side effects and typed in:

Chapparral AND Inflammation AND hepatoxicity AND blood sugar levels

I came up with both forums on the first page.

The posted date on the other forum is a few days prior to Blowdry's posted date. By the posted dates It is obvious that Blowdry DID NOT write the original content and ripped off the content from someone else.

The responsibility of a decent and genuine forum owner when presented with the fact that their member(s) are stealing content from other people is to make sure it is corrected, not defend the behavior.

What is really telling is the fact that when you are presented proof (by the posted dates) that your member did not write the content and ripped it off you do nothing about it.

This probably means that this "Blowdry" character is probably you or your ilk ripping off content to try to increase your forum readership.

Zima,

Just because someone posted something on another forum first doesn't mean that the data source originated there. I noticed that you aren't giving "Tom" the same grief for apparently posting someone else's potentially copyrighted content on the other forum.

I also did a search for the exact phrase below and am not even finding the other forum on Google.

Sorry Zima...it's quite obvious you're here simply to stir up trouble and make false accusations. Go find another forum to post on.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I thought it was quite obvious that It was not my reserch on this subject. Life Extension is the forum where I frequent and buy their top notch products.

All I was doing was being a condiut of possibly helpful information.

R