Questions from Pat - My BHT and FUE Technique

Pat had put forth these questions:

1. How the "Umar procedure" works and how it differs from techniques used by other surgeons.

2. Body hair growth cycles and their longevity when transplanted to the scalp.

3. How he qualifies candidates for surgery.

4. BHT success rates in his experience, including typical growth yield and overall success in the 150+ cases he's performed.

1. How the "Umar procedure" works and how it differs from techniques used by other surgeons.

FUE was first made popular by Dr Woods. It long emerged that the crucial aspect of the procedure entails dissecting the hair follicle free of the surrounding tissue without compromising the integrity of the follicle. The generic procedure was adopted by many different Drs to transfer head hair grafts. Later on it emerged that body hair can be made to grow in the scalp. It became soon evident that body hair differs from head hair because of the difference in its orientation relative to the skin surface and the anatomy of its attachments and the investing tissues, as well as its sturdiness. All these factors vary from one individual to the other and within the same individual from one location to another.

The basic tenet of FUE remains the same. My procedure is a total protocol that begins from before the surgery is performed to nuanced techniques of scoring using custom made devices that ensure the intact removal of the grafts with minimal challenge of their integrity as well as the treatment of the grafts thereafter ending with the post operative management of the patient. It brings into play my background in dermatology and enhanced understanding of hair medicine. The total protocol (The Umar procedure) has resulted in a good success rate in my BHT procedures the result of which started manifesting as of 2005. The first major case that resulted in compelling transformation was of an active forum member "Heliboy" whose surgery in September of 2005 was well documented amidst a lot of skepticism and rancor. His result received the acclaim it did not only for the unquestioned transformation that was evident but also because his surgery was documented in public when his outcome was not known. Heliboy is now over 2 years since his surgery and his results have held well. He has since gone on with his life as is the overall goal of the process in the beginning.

My current protocol for performing BHT is something I developed independent of any party. I started sharing my thoughts on the forums as they emerged several years ago, but realized that many mistook my motives for self promotion while other doctors are quick to adopt ideas while claiming to be the originators of it. I stopped doing so afterwards having decided that it is best to focus blog interactions to result sharing (as much as possible) while methodically working towards a formal introduction of lessons learnt through professional forums and publications. I began the process by formal presentation of results at the ISHRS, and was glad that these results have dispelled certain misconceptions amongst the HT providers. I am currently rounding up the training of a board certified dermatologist from Thailand (at no charge) who has been with me for over 10 months, and would be free to set up shop in Thailand should he so choose without preconditions afterwards. I have no problem training, I just would not subscribe to underhanded tactics by ego driven forces bent on usurping ideas through disrespectful blog interactions disguised as challenges. I have concentrated on showing results for the past several years for this purpose. Hence I would ask that for those practitioners asking that I differentiate my protocol from theirs, they provide me with a similar track record for the kind of BHT results I have thus far shared with the public along with relevant timelines to buttress their point. It would be absurd for someone to claim that my protocol is his when he cannot produce my kind of results with relevant timelines to make their point. Again I would stress that if a doctor has difficulties with a procedure a colleagues seems to be succeeding with, the way to do it is the old fashioned and tested way; recognize the achievement gap, contact the colleague directly with a view to learning something new that might help you improve your approach. You do not go to the public disparaging this colleague while challenging him to show you/teach you how he does it.

Body hair cycles have been researched by other workers using phototrichography. There are old publications to this effect. However, with BHT, the importance is whether or not sustainable coverage can be achieved regardless of the hair source.

I have seen only one instance of possible cycling problems in one patient who was later lost to follow-up. The compounding factors in that instance is the heavy duty usage of a combination DHT inhibitors in a sensitive period before and post transplant in spite of my verbal and written admonitions to a contrary actions. At the time other facilities purveying BHT had offered contrary opinion regarding DHT inhibitors and BHT, hence we have a scenario where patients even mine may have been confused as to what exactly is the way to go with regards to DHT inhibitors post BHT. A poignant point in this regard is the instance of one other patient that received leg hair transplantation from me 2 years ago. He would not respond to my enquiries for a while until 18 months afterwards when he confessed that despite my instructions he had gone on Dutasteride. When he was not experiencing growth, he deferred his follow-up "not wanting to disappoint". He later stopped the medication on his own and to his surprise, the transplanted leg hair started gaining in length once again. It was at that point he felt confident enough to resume his follow-up with confessions to boot. He has since gone on to have a second procedure to address other areas, and has promised this time to take his post ??“operative instructions very seriously.

We already have known blog personalities like "Heliboy" and sofarsogood whose well documented surgeries and results continue to hold at 2 years and beyond.

That said I have treated patients that have lost head hair that was transplanted previously. Any transplanted hair can be lost for different reasons regardless of the donor source. By those accounts even patients receiving head hair transplants should be aware that loss in the long term is no impossibility, if informed consent is to be strictly observed.

3. How he qualifies candidates for surgery

Patients are assessed for their relative lack of head donor to decide on the justification for BHT. Once this is determined, then the body hair is assessed for quality, quantity and location to determine likelihood of success based on observations of previous cases. That is the basis of my consultation. I have incurred the displeasure of some because of the rigorousness by which this is done. I had written on this subject already on another thread which can be accessed by going to this link:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...861/m/2381064283/p/2

4. BHT success rates in his experience, including typical growth yield and overall success in the 150+ cases he's performed.

While I may have performed over 150 cases of FUE and BHT, the BHT cases per se may not amount to that. Many of my surgeries go on for 2-5 days. Some have lasted almost 2 weeks, while we have patients that a patient that has had surgery for perhaps 30 days collectively. So for my clinic, the number of cases is not the emphasis.

Thus far I have had reason to be dissatisfied with perhaps 10 clear cut BHT cases that I have had the chance to evaluate fully. I have redone most of these, some of whom had surgeries much earlier in our inception. Some of these cases have clear reasons (eg infection etc) that could account for their outcome.

The yield I have observed varies with the location of the donor, and the quality of the hair. It has ranged from 70-80 percent allowing for hair that is not showing on the surface because of the skin owing to resting phase. BHT results could take 1-2 years to fully manifest. These are still anecdotal numbers and patients are informed that their results could and do vary. We have encouraged patients to go for test procedure if in doubt before proceeding (See Sofarsogood).

In conclusion, perhaps 60 percent of my patient pool comes from patients seeking repair of one kind of the other from earlier procedures done at other facilities. The majority have had head hair transplanted with complaints ranging from lack of graft take, loss of grafted head hair that had initially taken, plugginess, scarring, pitting etc. In short the myriads of complaints from procedure performed at times from well regarded clinics is such that could lead one to question the legitimacy of head hair transplant regardless of how the hair is harvested. All medical procedures have the possibility of ending up in unsatisfactory outcome. Patients must beware of clinics or doctors that boast of guarantees and a record devoid of unsatisfactory outcome.

Pat had put forth these questions:

3. How he qualifies candidates for surgery.

FUE was first made popular by Dr Woods. It long emerged that the crucial aspect of the procedure entails dissecting the hair follicle free of the surrounding tissue without compromising the integrity of the follicle. The generic procedure was adopted by many different Drs to transfer head hair grafts. Later on it emerged that body hair can be made to grow in the scalp. It became soon evident that body hair differs from head hair because of the difference in its orientation relative to the skin surface and the anatomy of its attachments and the investing tissues, as well as its sturdiness. All these factors vary from one individual to the other and within the same individual from one location to another.

The basic tenet of FUE remains the same. My procedure is a total protocol that begins from before the surgery is performed to nuanced techniques of scoring using custom made devices that ensure the intact removal of the grafts with minimal challenge of their integrity as well as the treatment of the grafts thereafter ending with the post operative management of the patient. It brings into play my background in dermatology and enhanced understanding of hair medicine. The total protocol (The Umar procedure) has resulted in a good success rate in my BHT procedures the result of which started manifesting as of 2005. The first major case that resulted in compelling transformation was of an active forum member "Heliboy" whose surgery in September of 2005 was well documented amidst a lot of skepticism and rancor. His result received the acclaim it did not only for the unquestioned transformation that was evident but also because his surgery was documented in public when his outcome was not known. Heliboy is now over 2 years since his surgery and his results have held well. He has since gone on with his life as is the overall goal of the process in the beginning.

My current protocol for performing BHT is something I developed independent of any party. I started sharing my thoughts on the forums as they emerged several years ago, but realized that many mistook my motives for self promotion while other doctors are quick to adopt ideas while claiming to be the originators of it. I stopped doing so afterwards having decided that it is best to focus blog interactions to result sharing (as much as possible) while methodically working towards a formal introduction of lessons learnt through professional forums and publications. I began the process by formal presentation of results at the ISHRS, and was glad that these results have dispelled certain misconceptions amongst the HT providers. I am currently rounding up the training of a board certified dermatologist from Thailand (at no charge) who has been with me for over 10 months, and would be free to set up shop in Thailand should he so choose without preconditions afterwards. I have no problem training, I just would not subscribe to underhanded tactics by ego driven forces bent on usurping ideas through disrespectful blog interactions disguised as challenges. I have concentrated on showing results for the past several years for this purpose. Hence I would ask that for those practitioners asking that I differentiate my protocol from theirs, they provide me with a similar track record for the kind of BHT results I have thus far shared with the public along with relevant timelines to buttress their point. It would be absurd for someone to claim that my protocol is his when he cannot produce my kind of results with relevant timelines to make their point. Again I would stress that if a doctor has difficulties with a procedure a colleagues seems to be succeeding with, the way to do it is the old fashioned and tested way; recognize the achievement gap, contact the colleague directly with a view to learning something new that might help you improve your approach. You do not go to the public disparaging this colleague while challenging him to show you/teach you how he does it.

Body hair cycles have been researched by other workers using phototrichography. There are old publications to this effect. However, with BHT, the importance is whether or not sustainable coverage can be achieved regardless of the hair source.

I have seen only one instance of possible cycling problems in one patient who was later lost to follow-up. The compounding factors in that instance is the heavy duty usage of a combination DHT inhibitors in a sensitive period before and post transplant in spite of my verbal and written admonitions to a contrary actions. At the time other facilities purveying BHT had offered contrary opinion regarding DHT inhibitors and BHT, hence we have a scenario where patients even mine may have been confused as to what exactly is the way to go with regards to DHT inhibitors post BHT. A poignant point in this regard is the instance of one other patient that received leg hair transplantation from me 2 years ago. He would not respond to my enquiries for a while until 18 months afterwards when he confessed that despite my instructions he had gone on Dutasteride. When he was not experiencing growth, he deferred his follow-up "not wanting to disappoint". He later stopped the medication on his own and to his surprise, the transplanted leg hair started gaining in length once again. It was at that point he felt confident enough to resume his follow-up with confessions to boot. He has since gone on to have a second procedure to address other areas, and has promised this time to take his post ??“operative instructions very seriously.

We already have known blog personalities like "Heliboy" and sofarsogood whose well documented surgeries and results continue to hold at 2 years and beyond.

That said I have treated patients that have lost head hair that was transplanted previously. Any transplanted hair can be lost for different reasons regardless of the donor source. By those accounts even patients receiving head hair transplants should be aware that loss in the long term is no impossibility, if informed consent is to be strictly observed.

3. How he qualifies candidates for surgery

Patients are assessed for their relative lack of head donor to decide on the justification for BHT. Once this is determined, then the body hair is assessed for quality, quantity and location to determine likelihood of success based on observations of previous cases. That is the basis of my consultation. I have incurred the displeasure of some because of the rigorousness by which this is done. I had written on this subject already on another thread which can be accessed by going to this link:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...861/m/2381064283/p/2

While I may have performed over 150 cases of FUE and BHT, the BHT cases per se may not amount to that. Many of my surgeries go on for 2-5 days. Some have lasted almost 2 weeks, while we have patients that a patient that has had surgery for perhaps 30 days collectively. So for my clinic, the number of cases is not the emphasis.

Thus far I have had reason to be dissatisfied with perhaps 10 clear cut BHT cases that I have had the chance to evaluate fully. I have redone most of these, some of whom had surgeries much earlier in our inception. Some of these cases have clear reasons (eg infection etc) that could account for their outcome.

The yield I have observed varies with the location of the donor, and the quality of the hair. It has ranged from 70-80 percent allowing for hair that is not showing on the surface because of the skin owing to resting phase. BHT results could take 1-2 years to fully manifest. These are still anecdotal numbers and patients are informed that their results could and do vary. We have encouraged patients to go for test procedure if in doubt before proceeding (See Sofarsogood).

In conclusion, perhaps 60 percent of my patient pool comes from patients seeking repair of one kind of the other from earlier procedures done at other facilities. The majority have had head hair transplanted with complaints ranging from lack of graft take, loss of grafted head hair that had initially taken, plugginess, scarring, pitting etc. In short the myriads of complaints from procedure performed at times from well regarded clinics is such that could lead one to question the legitimacy of head hair transplant regardless of how the hair is harvested. All medical procedures have the possibility of ending up in unsatisfactory outcome. Patients must beware of clinics or doctors that boast of guarantees and a record devoid of unsatisfactory outcome.

Dr. Umar,

Thanks for posting and beginning to address the concerns of the community.

I have a few follow up questions.

1. Firstly, can you describe how you ensure the integrity of the graft remains in tact minimizing the risk of transection? Is it the tool, the technique? Pat already wrote a little bit about your technique (scoring the skin surface with a punch that is 0.9mm or less in size and then using a needle to separate the base of the follicles from the surrounding tissues)

Can you tell us a little bit about the custom made devices and how they work? Who made them? Are the patented?

2. Regarding BHT longevity: in your experience, is there any reason to believe that body hair will grow for a short time and not grow back? Or what about periods of time where all the transplanted body hair is totally dormant? Why does Propecia/Avodart impact transplanted body hair growth?

3. Specifically speaking, what criteria do you use for determining the caliber of body hair used? Can you give us an example of an optimal candidate, an average candidate, and a poor candidate? Are there places on the body that are more optimal for transplantation? Chest, leg, arm? What about hair characteristics, thick, thin, dark, light?

4. Since you've performed approximately 150 cases of FUE and BHT combined, how many would you say are BHT? What accounted for these 10 BHT failures? Were the infections related to the BHT surgery or something else?

5. If the average growth yield for BHT is 70-80 percent, what have you determined was the reason for the 20-30 percent failure? In your opinion, what is the remedy to this to increase the growth yield? It would stand to reason that if a certain type of hair or skin characteristics aer not optimal and is accounting for some of these failures, then tightening your guidelines for hair used and patient candidacy would increase the success rate.

I hope you will continue to indulge us by answering our questions and continuing to post your results.

I encourage you also to post BHT results beyond the 6th month, such as 12 months, 18 months, and even 24 months out for pictorial evidence of permanent BHT success.

I look forward to your responses.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

There are better suited media for the teaching of medical procedures and sharing of complex medical processes...journals, books, professional seminars, training programs etc, and as mentioned already I am well on track to getting that accomplished. I would rather not continue along the lines of providing information prematurely to a medium that could be subject to misinterpretation. For instance 70-80% figure estimate mentioned does not imply a 20-30% failure. I do not think the production process of a custom made instrument is of paramount importance at this point However, as I get the chance to organize data and thoughts in a more comprehensive manner, I will as appropriate share these with the community. I have done so previously and would continue to do so. My website has several articles written in this vein. Most of these articles were written over 2 years ago:

Some of them do address some of your questions. For instance regarding Dutasteride, Finasteride etc. Most of the thoughts shared in that article still remain relevant:

The pathway that leads to the production of the 3 androgens (DHT, testosterone and Androstenedione, also has a route that leads to the production of Estrogen). When you block DHT production by 5AR inhibition, the path to testosterone and/or estrogen production tends to be up regulated. The degree to which either of these two hormones (testosterone and Estrogen) are affected by 5AR inhibition should depend on several factors including the patient's idiosyncratic predispositions, drug dosage, drug type and actions (e.g. Dutasteride blocks both 5AR-1 and 5AR-2 hence leaves less room for DHT production via the 5AR1 pathway -the case with finateride) etc.

In healthy individuals, most body hair (relevant to BHT) responds especially to testosterone positively. Hence if DHT blockage results in more testosterone production than estrogen, you may actually end up with a positive effect on body hair than in pre-medication periods. If however, more estrogen is produced than is testosterone, you may well have a slowing of body hair growth and/or breast enlargement and/or loss of libido etc. If these hormones (Testosterone and Estrogen) are raised to the same degree activity-wise, then you may have no change in body hair status as the effects of the 2 will balance out (most patients on alopecia reduction doses). This is the basis for my previous statement "Some activities of 5AR inhibitors (dutasteride and finasteride) are not a direct result of DHT or lack of it" found in the post you pasted above. As you can judge from the aforementioned, some activities of 5AR inhibitors is as a direct result of Testosterone and/or estrogen up regulation, rather than DHT.

A study on chest hair suggests that when slowing of hair growth occurs with finasteride use, it sustains for about 6 months following which it ceases to affect it either way as evidenced by observations in months 6 through 12. It is believed that even in these cases, the effect of testosterone increases to balance the initial estrogenic burst that may have occurred in the earlier months. Also these uncommon negative effects tend to reverse with cessation of meds.

Please note: All the studies leading to the aforementioned statements have been based on prostate studies whereby higher doses of 5AR inhibitors are used compared to the standard doses for hair loss indications.

Conclusion:

I do not generally dissuade my patients from using finasteride or dutasteride post BHT, but certain caveats have applied. I have thus far advised caution in the following events:

1. Breast symptoms have occurred and persist.

2. Libido problems have occurred and persist.

3. 5AR inhibitors have been used for less than 6 months.

4. I pay special attention to the use of dutasteride (an effective 5AR-1 and 5AR-2 inhibitor) and patients using higher doses (of either meds) than is the standard recommendation for hair loss treatment.

I have also re-emphasized pre-operative wet shaving and the intra-operative selection of only actively growing body hair for transfer. These would constitute anagen hair that has weathered any real or imagined negative effects of any agent the patient may have been using.

Other useful read include:

Importance of hair cycles and extraction:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_artdetail.aspx?id=12

Hair cycles and BHT:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_artdetail.aspx?id=11

Role of minoxidil in BHT:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_artdetail.aspx?id=8

BHT testing, basic principles:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_artdetail.aspx?id=13

Wounding and healing in BHT:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_artdetail.aspx?id=10

Wound healing variations in BHT:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_artdetail.aspx?id=9

I would continue to show results as I have been for the past years. As mentioned there are results that are beyond the 2 year mark already from active (once active) blog members. As we continue to get them from patients willing to have their results in the public domain, more long term results would emerge. It is going to be a slow process given that we are dealing with a procedure that takes a while to show and patients that do get lost to follow-up sometimes because after a while some just want to get on with their lives.

Regards,

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Dr. Umar,

Thanks for posting and beginning to address the concerns of the community.

I have a few follow up questions.

1. Firstly, can you describe how you ensure the integrity of the graft remains in tact minimizing the risk of transection? Is it the tool, the technique? Pat already wrote a little bit about your technique (scoring the skin surface with a punch that is 0.9mm or less in size and then using a needle to separate the base of the follicles from the surrounding tissues)

Can you tell us a little bit about the custom made devices and how they work? Who made them? Are the patented?

2. Regarding BHT longevity: in your experience, is there any reason to believe that body hair will grow for a short time and not grow back? Or what about periods of time where all the transplanted body hair is totally dormant? Why does Propecia/Avodart impact transplanted body hair growth?

3. Specifically speaking, what criteria do you use for determining the caliber of body hair used? Can you give us an example of an optimal candidate, an average candidate, and a poor candidate? Are there places on the body that are more optimal for transplantation? Chest, leg, arm? What about hair characteristics, thick, thin, dark, light?

4. Since you've performed approximately 150 cases of FUE and BHT combined, how many would you say are BHT? What accounted for these 10 BHT failures? Were the infections related to the BHT surgery or something else?

5. If the average growth yield for BHT is 70-80 percent, what have you determined was the reason for the 20-30 percent failure? In your opinion, what is the remedy to this to increase the growth yield? It would stand to reason that if a certain type of hair or skin characteristics aer not optimal and is accounting for some of these failures, then tightening your guidelines for hair used and patient candidacy would increase the success rate.

I hope you will continue to indulge us by answering our questions and continuing to post your results.

I encourage you also to post BHT results beyond the 6th month, such as 12 months, 18 months, and even 24 months out for pictorial evidence of permanent BHT success.

I look forward to your responses.

Best wishes,

Bill

Its ok if you use the Feller punch icon_smile.gif

I did read that you offer a discount to patients for pics with their face included so I cant wait to see all these photos. I know it takes time to load these but we are patient.

It will surely get you in here to stay.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Hey PGP,

Show us the BHT results Feller has produced using "The Feller punch" or whatever the heck he calls it. Dr Umar has been doing so for almost 3 years, and if Feller invented the damn thing, he's obviously been using it for longer than Dr Umar.

Post some results, as Dr Umar has done!

I am beginning to see what Dr Umar is talking about. It is so obvious what is going on here.

You have another Dr trying to learn a procedure through forums so that they can then turn around and claim credit for it! Is that not what this is all about?

In his above post, Dr Umar has thrown a challenge to ANY other Dr attempting to claim his technique as their own!

So show him (and everyone else) the results of BHT that you have produced along with the time the procedure was performed, complete with donor pictures, before Dr Umar will even dignify your assertion with a response!

Hooray for Hair,

I understand that it is natural to defend your doctor however, I will now allow this thread to turn into an attack against Dr. Feller. I will not allow it.

There is plenty of evidence around the forum of Dr. Feller's first-rate work. He is not in question here. Any attempts on this or any other thread will result in its removal and possible suspension.

If you are truly interested in seeing evidence of Dr. Feller's work, simply do a "find" on Dr. Feller and you will find plenty of it.

To my understanding, he has not posted any BHT work nor does he regularly perform it. Dr. Feller or Spex can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for understanding,

Bill

PGP, Bill,

What ever the "Feller punch" is, It would seem something its creator is very proud of. However, I have never seen the "Feller Punch," let alone use it.

Last September I attended the ISHRS scientific meeting in Las Vegas. There was a large room in which vendors who sell supplies to the transplant industry exhibited their products, products such as cutting blades, scopes, solutions, automated FUE devices, punches of all shapes and an assortment of curious FUE and strip paraphanelia.... To the best of my recollection, I don't recall seeing a product called the "Feller Punch" for sale in the exhibition room.

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Hooray for Hair,

I understand that it is natural to defend your doctor however, I will now allow this thread to turn into an attack against Dr. Feller. I will not allow it.

There is plenty of evidence around the forum of Dr. Feller's first-rate work. He is not in question here. Any attempts on this or any other thread will result in its removal and possible suspension.

If you are truly interested in seeing evidence of Dr. Feller's work, simply do a "find" on Dr. Feller and you will find plenty of it.

To my understanding, he has not posted any BHT work nor does he regularly perform it. Dr. Feller or Spex can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for understanding,

Bill

Bill,

I was only responding to PGP's comment in which he openly accused (a smiley face at the end doesn't make it any less damaging) Dr Umar of using a technique that Dr Feller invented.

(You'll have noticed over the last year that any perceived attacks on my part are simply defenses. I hope it means something that I NEVER start anything by attacking anyone else first, unlike all of these other people supporting their doctors who take every chance they can get to try and shoot down Dr Umar's credibility)

Hooray,

I understand however, you and Dr. Feller have had your words on another thread and I don't want them to continue here period.

PGP said nothing defammatory. In fact, the Feller punch is quite effective and it's no insult to Dr. Umar if he uses it.

The truth is, Dr. Umar has not provided an answer as to who made the custom device he is referring to. For all we know, it could be the Feller punch or something he patented himself. In my opinion, PGP said nothing defammatory that warranted a defensive response.

Try to remember that the majority of comments about Dr. Umar have been quite positive and supportive. But before we can recommend him on the Hair Transplant Network, we'd like him to answer this community's questions and provide additional samples of his work. In time, we can reconsider him for recommendation.

I personally am intrigued and would like to learn more. But new concepts take time to convince others if they work.

Thanks,

Bill