hey, taking prop, shedding... ahhhhhhhh lol!!!

alexjohnson

hey, just started taking the pills, my hair is think but still looks good when waxed haha,

but going thin so thought id start the propecia, so been taking a week now 1 day on the pill one day off (basically taking the pill every other day) anyway woke up today and my hair is shedding badly!!! anyway im just gonna see it through, how long will this last? and will i deffinetly get this hair back lol, wot i mean is the hair shedding due to the propecia will that hair deffinetly come back?

thanks EVERYONE for the help and support.. its hard icon_smile.gif

hey, just started taking the pills, my hair is think but still looks good when waxed haha,

but going thin so thought id start the propecia, so been taking a week now 1 day on the pill one day off (basically taking the pill every other day) anyway woke up today and my hair is shedding badly!!! anyway im just gonna see it through, how long will this last? and will i deffinetly get this hair back lol, wot i mean is the hair shedding due to the propecia will that hair deffinetly come back?

thanks EVERYONE for the help and support.. its hard icon_smile.gif

alex,

In just starting Propecia, its way too early to assess whether or not Propecia (finasteride) is going to work for you. Though Propecia works bio-chemically right away, it can take up to 3 months to begin reversing the hair miniaturization process that occurs in hereditary hair loss. It can take up to 6 months to 1 year to see any cosmetic improvement in appearance of your hair.

Be assured however, that Propecia won't cause additional hair loss.

It is possible that you will experience some additional hair shedding over the course of the first 3 months. What is actually happening is that the weaker, finer, miniaturized hairs are forced into catagen (the resting phase) and then telogen (the shedding phase) to make way for the new hair being produced by the follicle (the anagen stage). The new hair will grow back thicker and stronger if indeed Propecia is working for you.

I hope this helps.

Bill

hmmmm, ok, so before i started taking prop the loss was gradual, so now its speeded up, are you saying that the hairs caused to fall out by the prop WILL DEFFINETLY return?? i dont wanna take this, shed, then find out prop wont work, and the hairs effected by accelerated hair loss caused by prop will not return....lol i hope u understand

Alex,

Far be it for me to make you promises and guarantees. However, excessive hair shedding can be typical upon starting Propecia (finasteride) or even Rogaine (minoxidil). Accelerated hair loss is not a reported side effect of either hair loss treatment.

Propecia's website recommends 1 pill (1mg) of finasteride daily. Hair restoration physician Dr. Jerry Cooley recently made a good case for taking varying dosages of finasteride. To see Dr. Cooley's response, view our hair loss forum discussion thread "Taking Propecia Every Other Day?"

Best wishes,

Bill