Newbie Question

I have a few questions for you guys with some knowledge on the HT subject. I am about 30 and currently a NW 5a. I am considering using Hasson for my first HT and he is reccomending 3500 to 4000 grafts to cover the front 1/2 to 2/3 of my scalp, but possibly he will not be able to address the crown in the first session, but he said it depends on the final number of grafts and how myself and Dr. Wong agree on the distribution of the grafts. I really would like to get this HT done once at least for now, so should I push for more grafts? Also, I am flying in from out of town, so I don't know if I can stay for 10 days to have them remove the staples. Where do you guys go to get them out once you are home? Will the scar from the staples be there forever? I have some many questions and I am still early in the research stage, but I will start with these.

I have a few questions for you guys with some knowledge on the HT subject. I am about 30 and currently a NW 5a. I am considering using Hasson for my first HT and he is reccomending 3500 to 4000 grafts to cover the front 1/2 to 2/3 of my scalp, but possibly he will not be able to address the crown in the first session, but he said it depends on the final number of grafts and how myself and Dr. Wong agree on the distribution of the grafts. I really would like to get this HT done once at least for now, so should I push for more grafts? Also, I am flying in from out of town, so I don't know if I can stay for 10 days to have them remove the staples. Where do you guys go to get them out once you are home? Will the scar from the staples be there forever? I have some many questions and I am still early in the research stage, but I will start with these.

Well, You can have staples/sutures removed by your family doc. Some people have spouse, friend, relative, do it, too. My doc used dissolveable sutures, so that was not a concern for me. The scar is there forever, but I have had 4 surgeries, and my barber doesn't notice it, and I cut my hair in back about as long as the width of my index finger. I can barely feel it when i look for it. It will be large for a while, but it lessens with time.

The scar is one aspect of finding a good surgeon. A good doc will make it barely noticeable. I know this is very secondary to the final appearance, but it is something to consider.

As for the number of grafts, I cannot really say. I would ask the doc that one.

The scar issue is something that you NEED to understand before you go under the knife:

Either get a HT or shave your head bald, but you can't do both.

Any (strip-style) hair transplant will leave you with a long horizontal-line scar on the back of your head. It will be big/visible enough to rule out ever shaving down buzzed again for fear of showing it. You'll always need at least a centimeter of hair length in the back/sides to hide the scar for the rest of your life.

So, you CANNOT get a HT and then later decide to shave your head down short. This issue has burned A LOT of men over the years who become unhappy with what they can get out of HTs (or just can't afford more of them) but still can't just shave down short to cope with the balding. They're stuck showing the total "horseshoe" in back for life.

--------------------------------------------------

I think that if you have the money for it, go ahead and ask for more grafts, chances are you're gonna go back anyways.

My first procedure, I had a transplant down in Florida, and the doctor set me up with a local doctor to remove the sutures. My second procedure was done with staples and I removed the staples myself, took a while, but I got them all, about 65 staples. The doctor gave me a stapler remover tool from 3M and I used the elastic bandage they put on my head to pull up the hair from the back so I could see the donor area, of course you'll need two mirrors, your bathroom mirror and a handheld one, or you could just have someone help you. If you do it yourself, just make sure to soak your head in warm water for five minute, have some guaze pads or towels ready for some blood and some alcohol for disinfecting things. There were 3-4 tough ones, but I got them all, and most didn't hurt at all. I'm sure H&W should give you a stapler remover.