Im new and have some questions....

hi all,

first,i have to apologize for my bad english,i have been in US only for couple of months.

i have read a lot about HT in last years and now finaly decided to go with HT with DR Keene in tucson.

I have only two questions for now.

Im starting to take proscar today and my surgery is in 2 months.I read that sheding from finastride will start after 4-5 weeks.I also know about initial shock-loss from surgery (after 2-3 weeks post op).

Im going to have transplants on my sides (1500 gr.) and on top of my head (500gr between my existing hair)

So,my question is,does it mean that in 4 months from now i will find my self with only few of my existing hair (because of finastride sheeding+shock loss from surgery = only few remaining hairs) ??

My second question is if is there anything available to grow faster my existing hair after surgery? (i want to cut my hair very short before surgery but then i want it to grow fast cuz i want to cover rec. and donor area with my existing hair before i return to work!)

i heard something about MSM if i remember good....

At the end, i really need to say that i really like this forum,its very helpfull.this is my first post but i have been here for long time.

only thing i find strange here is that many people post few times here and then disapear! i really like to se how they are doing after months or years after HT.maybe they are so happy with their new hair so they forget about this forum and HT problems?

thanx

hi all,

first,i have to apologize for my bad english,i have been in US only for couple of months.

i have read a lot about HT in last years and now finaly decided to go with HT with DR Keene in tucson.

I have only two questions for now.

Im starting to take proscar today and my surgery is in 2 months.I read that sheding from finastride will start after 4-5 weeks.I also know about initial shock-loss from surgery (after 2-3 weeks post op).

Im going to have transplants on my sides (1500 gr.) and on top of my head (500gr between my existing hair)

So,my question is,does it mean that in 4 months from now i will find my self with only few of my existing hair (because of finastride sheeding+shock loss from surgery = only few remaining hairs) ??

My second question is if is there anything available to grow faster my existing hair after surgery? (i want to cut my hair very short before surgery but then i want it to grow fast cuz i want to cover rec. and donor area with my existing hair before i return to work!)

i heard something about MSM if i remember good....

At the end, i really need to say that i really like this forum,its very helpfull.this is my first post but i have been here for long time.

only thing i find strange here is that many people post few times here and then disapear! i really like to se how they are doing after months or years after HT.maybe they are so happy with their new hair so they forget about this forum and HT problems?

thanx

Hi maki8787

From my experience, shedding from finasteride (or minoxidil for that matter) will be dependent on the individual. I've known some guys to shed upto 300 hairs a day for the when they first started taking finasteride (and similarly with minoxidil) and I've known others - including myself - who saw almost immediate results with no shedding.

To answer your first question, you'll most likely look worse before you look better post HT. Often people will lose existing hairs and HT hairs a 2-3 weeks after surgery. I've seen this happen quite often, but the hairs that can grow back, will, in 3-5 months time.

With regards to your second question, I've heard some people use MSM and minoxidil to speed up the growth. I'd like to say that there is no proof that HT hairs actually come in faster. I've seen some people have exception growth without using medications post HT and others use them and still see growth starting at the end of the 4th month.

My personal belief is MSM will help hair that is already in growing phase to grow faster - but I don't think it will necessarily jump start the growth itself.

Good luck.