Elapsed time for regrowth to start

This question is for any docs out there (especially Dr. Rose). What is the range of elapsed time (post-surgery) for regrowth to start? This must vary quite a bit by individual, and even for one individual they won't all start on the same day, right?

This question is for any docs out there (especially Dr. Rose). What is the range of elapsed time (post-surgery) for regrowth to start? This must vary quite a bit by individual, and even for one individual they won't all start on the same day, right?

Dear Gary:

You are right on several counts. The regrowth of hair after a hair transplant varies from patient to patient and hair to hair.The hairs do not synchronize once transplanted.

Generally, after the initial loss of hair following a hair transplant, the hairs begin to be evident at about 3-4 months. Experience shows that when we use large numbers of grafts and "dense packing" the delay may even be longer. In some instances patients who have undergone large graft sessions (1000+) may find that the final result is not evident for 9-12 months. For this reason I caution patients not to proceed with an additional grafting session in an area previously grafted, until approximately 9 months later,

I do think that using Propecia(Finasteride) and

Rogaine(Minoxidil), seems to decrease the "shock phase) for some patients. Rarely I have seen patients who have had growth of hair transplants right from the start,

Paul T. Rose,MD

• 1 month later...

I was curious to hear what the average number of graphs you are preforming on patients these days. Clearly we have seen new technology with improved surgical equiptment resulting in increased numbers of FUs. I was wondering the most you have ever done, and the typical amount you encounter these days (despite cost)? Thank You.

Oliver - I believe that the best surgeons can easily do a 2000 graft session. It starts to get more difficult as you go to greater numbers, because it requires more people to cut the grafts and the "out-of-body" time for the grafts gets longer, which can endanger the survival of the follicles.

i dont think it is the number of FU which can be done in a session but the size of the donor strip. If to much donor area is taken at one time then a large scar can form due to stretching.

Thanks Gary. The reason I ask is because I just had 1880 graphs done and I am trying to determine if that is a lot vs the norm these days. My hopes were to do just one big session so I went for alot, but I am starting to find that this amount is possibly typical in many of todays HTs. What has you experience been?