WHY H&W TELL THEIR PATIENTS TO STOP TAKING ROGAINE 3 MONTHS PRE SURGERY...WHILE DR JEFFERY E DOESNT ....

icon_smile.gifHI THIS AMAN FROM INDIA.I AM PLANNING A HT WITH DR H&W BUT THEY MAILED ME TELLING THAT I SHOULD STOP TAKING ROGAINE 90 DAYS PRE SURGERY..I MEAN I HAVE GAINED FEW HAIRS ON MY FRONTAL AND MID SCALP DUE TO IT...IF I STOP TAKING THEM I WILL LOOSE ALL WHETEVER I HAVE GOT.

1 MORE THING GUYS I AM ON PROPECIA,ROGAINE SINCE 1ST NOVEMBER 07 TELL ME SHOULD I GO BOTH FOR CROWN AND FRONTAL..MID AREA COVERAGE IN MA 1ST SURGERY OR SHD I WAIT FOR SOME MORE TIME........MY HAIRLOSS HAS STOPPED BUT NO REGROWTH AT THE CROWN SADLY

icon_smile.gifHI THIS AMAN FROM INDIA.I AM PLANNING A HT WITH DR H&W BUT THEY MAILED ME TELLING THAT I SHOULD STOP TAKING ROGAINE 90 DAYS PRE SURGERY..I MEAN I HAVE GAINED FEW HAIRS ON MY FRONTAL AND MID SCALP DUE TO IT...IF I STOP TAKING THEM I WILL LOOSE ALL WHETEVER I HAVE GOT.

1 MORE THING GUYS I AM ON PROPECIA,ROGAINE SINCE 1ST NOVEMBER 07 TELL ME SHOULD I GO BOTH FOR CROWN AND FRONTAL..MID AREA COVERAGE IN MA 1ST SURGERY OR SHD I WAIT FOR SOME MORE TIME........MY HAIRLOSS HAS STOPPED BUT NO REGROWTH AT THE CROWN SADLY

Amanindia,

Minoxidil use can cause issues that we would like to avoid during any procedure. Our standard requirement for being off of minoxidil is two months but each case is considered independently because different people use minoxidil in different ways as well do they have different requirements for a procedure.

There are some patients that have used Minoxidil for twenty years and these patients need to be off of minox for perhaps longer than a patient that has been on it for two years.

If a patient requires dense packing we may ask them to stay off for longer too. Minoxidil makes the tissue "mushy" and the effects can last as long as six months so when placing incisions very close to together we want as much tissue integrity as possible. In some consultations we will see a strong reaction to the medication such as persistent redness, flaking, complaints by the patient of itchiness. These are some additional factors that weigh in on our decision to advise being off of minox for a while.

You may lose a few hairs that you have saved or regrown but in the long run it is better for you to have a healthier scalp for your procedure. Minoxidil thins the blood which can cause excessive bleeding. It can also cause graft poppage where the grafts that are freshly inserted literally "pop" right out of the incision. This makes the surgery last a lot longer than necessary.

Once you have a procedure you are free to resume minoxidil two weeks post-op.

Please keep in mind I do not know who you are nor do I know your case so my response is understandably generalized. With this in mind I ask that you contact our office for further questions regarding our pre-operative requirements.

I hope my post helped clear up some of your questions.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Aman,

I think you should email me with these questions as they are relevant to your personal assessment. Email me at joe@hassonandwong.com. Please include your full name as input in your consultation request.

Thank you.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

This is common request by most surgeons. Rogaine can increase bleeding during surgery, Shapiro said stop 1month before surgery. Stay on Propecia and can add Rogaine 1wk post-op and add to frontal area as well as it can help stimulate growth and shorten dormant period.