Chance favors the prepared mind: but girls favor the hair-ed head!

Ok, where to beging this one. First off, I owe this site a huge favor for being both a source of hope and therapy for my "condition." I cringe to consider something so ludicrous as a little balding as a significant condition; considering, I am a new physician and I've witnessed countless sorrown and heartbreak due to "real" diseases, since my starting medical school 4 years ago. Why I have let it affect me so greatly, may be a mystery; however, I've chosen, like so many of you out there to finally do something. I went to Dr. Jones in Toronto. He has had a HT in the past and was able to offer the perspective of both a critical observant physician as well as an empathetic hair loss sufferer. This latter part; I believe is key, considering my degree of hair loss at my age, a young and vibrant thirty years old, is bound to progress beyond a N-3 to possibly 4 or 5. "Oh my god, I"m using hairloss jargon." So now, much like Narcissus, I'm speding even more time in the pool of water, looking waiting, rubbing the 1900 little fuzzlets that are sprouting out of my calvarium like cactus fuzz. It's only day ten, but I'll have to admit these ten days have been quite a long road. On day six I took a long soak in the tub and, unlike a good patient, as most doctors are not, I used my finger nails to rub off some of the scabs in the front of my scalp. ARRRRGGG, I looked down to my horror to see at least 10 little follicles attached to the some of the crusty scab remains. That sucked! What a picture a grown doctor, hunched down on all fours, frantically scouring the water for lost grafts, like a crack fiend who dropped his stash in a sewer drain. I called Dr. Jones and was assured that out of 2000 grafts that a few will be lost in the early stages, and not to worry. I am revealing this part of the story to just remind to all that it's probably best to just use the old Adam Smith Lassez Faire approach for the first ten days at least, so the follicles can take refuge in the new fibrotic matrix of collagen and fat that the body will build around them in this time. So all and all I'm pretty happy, not a soul has noticed, and I've only been wearing a hat part of the time. I had a bit of swelling, that went away by day five completely. I'll try and keep posted as much as possible; I'm starting my residency in the St. Louis area so please feel free to email me so I can show you my seedlings or donor scar if you would like; I can even remove sutures or staples for the low low price of free, that is if you trust a first year doc to do it.

Good luck to everyone,

Haplo,

aka CK

Just a bit on the pictures; my original plan was to have 90 percent hairline work; bring down the temporal recession; Dr. Jones pointed out that my crown was thinning much more than I could see, and that this area would have to be filled in, and that we could always go lower on the hairline later. I took this as sound advice, and I can see from the pictures that I did need a lot of work in the crown area. The pizza pic is 1 day post op in New York. "I drove there from toronto" and the second pic is about one hour post op.

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" Albert Einstien

before.JPG.cb0b06eb6059d894994814b7d7db230e.JPG

Ok, where to beging this one. First off, I owe this site a huge favor for being both a source of hope and therapy for my "condition." I cringe to consider something so ludicrous as a little balding as a significant condition; considering, I am a new physician and I've witnessed countless sorrown and heartbreak due to "real" diseases, since my starting medical school 4 years ago. Why I have let it affect me so greatly, may be a mystery; however, I've chosen, like so many of you out there to finally do something. I went to Dr. Jones in Toronto. He has had a HT in the past and was able to offer the perspective of both a critical observant physician as well as an empathetic hair loss sufferer. This latter part; I believe is key, considering my degree of hair loss at my age, a young and vibrant thirty years old, is bound to progress beyond a N-3 to possibly 4 or 5. "Oh my god, I"m using hairloss jargon." So now, much like Narcissus, I'm speding even more time in the pool of water, looking waiting, rubbing the 1900 little fuzzlets that are sprouting out of my calvarium like cactus fuzz. It's only day ten, but I'll have to admit these ten days have been quite a long road. On day six I took a long soak in the tub and, unlike a good patient, as most doctors are not, I used my finger nails to rub off some of the scabs in the front of my scalp. ARRRRGGG, I looked down to my horror to see at least 10 little follicles attached to the some of the crusty scab remains. That sucked! What a picture a grown doctor, hunched down on all fours, frantically scouring the water for lost grafts, like a crack fiend who dropped his stash in a sewer drain. I called Dr. Jones and was assured that out of 2000 grafts that a few will be lost in the early stages, and not to worry. I am revealing this part of the story to just remind to all that it's probably best to just use the old Adam Smith Lassez Faire approach for the first ten days at least, so the follicles can take refuge in the new fibrotic matrix of collagen and fat that the body will build around them in this time. So all and all I'm pretty happy, not a soul has noticed, and I've only been wearing a hat part of the time. I had a bit of swelling, that went away by day five completely. I'll try and keep posted as much as possible; I'm starting my residency in the St. Louis area so please feel free to email me so I can show you my seedlings or donor scar if you would like; I can even remove sutures or staples for the low low price of free, that is if you trust a first year doc to do it.

Good luck to everyone,

Haplo,

aka CK

Just a bit on the pictures; my original plan was to have 90 percent hairline work; bring down the temporal recession; Dr. Jones pointed out that my crown was thinning much more than I could see, and that this area would have to be filled in, and that we could always go lower on the hairline later. I took this as sound advice, and I can see from the pictures that I did need a lot of work in the crown area. The pizza pic is 1 day post op in New York. "I drove there from toronto" and the second pic is about one hour post op.

I drove 9 hours with no problems, well besides the fact I had 2000 little holes in my head and a 7 inch gash in the back. Think god I didn't get stopped by any hot lady cops

pizza.JPG.9781a3d177c93b523333bf713d6a7651.JPG

Lookin' good. Did you have any problems driving the day after surgery? I was considering to do that also, but in the end decided to fly there instead - 1 hour sure beats 9 hours. But I can see how privacy of your own car makes up for the lost time.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Microprose;

no problems driving; it was actually perfect; I could spray my head down with graftcyte the whole time. Just me and the road. I did take a couple of tylenol, but as I said the drive it self was a great way to wind down after the whirlwind of HT surgery. I also got the M. J. Fox book on tape Lucky Man, which was very appropriate for a long self actualization drive to New York.

bon chance

CHad

Chad,

Looks good. You look like you were at the same stage I was. I also didn't realize how much had bailed in the back, until a friend took a picture.

Today is 10 days for me. A friend pulled my staples out at 5:10 this morning. My head feels so much better now. Last night, I was ready to pull the damn things myself. The itching and pulling is gone, and slowly the persistant headache is fading. Out of 58 staples, I only had 1 gusher. Not bad.

My barber is going to get rid of my Bozo The Clown hair at noon today. In retrospect, I should have gotten buzzed before hand.

I've taken more sh*t in the last week here at work.

--Blake

My sutures came out today, but since my hair was pretty short I was spared the bozo similarity. I'm driving to see my girlfriend in chicago tomorrow. I've got a few scabs left; now all that's left is for my new hair to start growing; I've heard wonderful fairy tales of some grafts growing without shedding first?

we'll see.

bon chance

Haplo

Chad,

I lost some of the hair shafts, but I have a bunch left that appear to be growing along with the non-transplants. I've heard it takes up to 4 weeks for the hair to shed. What I don't know is if a shocked folicle can grow hair. I guess I'll find out over the next month if they are going to bail.

--Blake

I hope you guys both keep us posted at around the 5 month post-op mark. Even though I am finished, at least for a good while (thank you God!), I find a good HT quite interesting, and almost hinging on unbelievable ! You really cannot tell anything has been done - just more hair. I will place a good bet on both of your post-op results being outstanding..just a good hunch.

Chad: This could become a future medical field for you ? who knows.

Thanks

NW