Female Hair Transplants

uncjim

I've been curious as to the theory behind them. I would assume that females don't loose their hair as men do (the classic Male Pattern Baldness). Maybe there are exceptions to this, I don't know. If there are, I think it would be nearly impossible to diagnose.

With the above being true, the usually stable fringe hair that remains for men would be highly unstable for women, and therefore susceptable to thinning. I would guess then that the approach would be to perform an HT and then hope that medication would stablize the baldness progression.

Assuming that the effectiveness of meds has limitations (how effective and for how long),the success rate therefore must be significantly lower for women.

Anyone have any insights?

Jim

Uncjim's Journey

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

I've been curious as to the theory behind them. I would assume that females don't loose their hair as men do (the classic Male Pattern Baldness). Maybe there are exceptions to this, I don't know. If there are, I think it would be nearly impossible to diagnose.

With the above being true, the usually stable fringe hair that remains for men would be highly unstable for women, and therefore susceptable to thinning. I would guess then that the approach would be to perform an HT and then hope that medication would stablize the baldness progression.

Assuming that the effectiveness of meds has limitations (how effective and for how long),the success rate therefore must be significantly lower for women.

Anyone have any insights?

Jim

Uncjim's Journey

..guess not.

The more I think about it, I assume that the responsible approach would be to put a female paient on medication first to she if she responds. Only then should surgery be considered.

Through a personal correspondence, I know this isn't always the case and I find that troubling.

Uncjim's Journey

I agree - HTs in females are more of a gamble.

The female pics I've seen on doctors' web sites are of women with a bald spot toward the front. This may be the "female version" of MPB.

For the overall thinning type of hairloss (in women OR men), I believe the only hope would be minoxydol or finasteride.