Propecia and the frontal hairline

John Ritter

I have a question regarding Propecia and hair growth and maintaining the frontal hair. I know that Propecia is shown not to grow any frontal hair but what about the gradually thining hair I have there now. Will it maintain and can it possibly get thicker since there is hair in that area ?

My frontal hairline arches up on both sides so I dont expect to get any new hairs there in that area. But if I can maintain my hairline now that is sort of in a shape of a V then that will satisfy me because I'm not expecting miracles out of a bottle. So bascially can my hair grow thicker in the frontal of the V shapped hairline or will it just cause my hair to maintain there and not change ? I know from studies that 80% of men have discovered new growth but what about in the frontal region where they had thin hair ?

Cause I think the whole purpose of taking Propecia will be a waste if I maintain my hair in the crown area (which is fine to begin with in my opinion) but yet have a forehead or so called fivehead that goes the whole way back.

I have a question regarding Propecia and hair growth and maintaining the frontal hair. I know that Propecia is shown not to grow any frontal hair but what about the gradually thining hair I have there now. Will it maintain and can it possibly get thicker since there is hair in that area ?

My frontal hairline arches up on both sides so I dont expect to get any new hairs there in that area. But if I can maintain my hairline now that is sort of in a shape of a V then that will satisfy me because I'm not expecting miracles out of a bottle. So bascially can my hair grow thicker in the frontal of the V shapped hairline or will it just cause my hair to maintain there and not change ? I know from studies that 80% of men have discovered new growth but what about in the frontal region where they had thin hair ?

Cause I think the whole purpose of taking Propecia will be a waste if I maintain my hair in the crown area (which is fine to begin with in my opinion) but yet have a forehead or so called fivehead that goes the whole way back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Will it maintain and can it possibly get thicker since there is hair in that area ?

I think it will, yes.... if you are a 'good responder" to Propecia in general. What Propecia does well is reverse the miniaturization of follicles (which is technically what male pattern baldness is... the relentless miniaturization of follicles).

As you know, it is hard to regrow hair in an area that is now completely bald. But it is a reasonable goal to use Propecia to "save" the hair you still have, including the hairline.

Propecia can work anywhere on your head where miniaturization is occurring... front, back, even in the donor area.

Good luck!

(By the way, I loved your work in "Three's Company"!)

Thanks arfy! Your advice is very helpful. I think I'll try Propecia for sure now. I always read about it yet they never really discuss what hair you have in front will maintain or not. So basically you answered what I have always been wondering.

P.S. - I'm not the famous John Ritter, if I was I'm sure I would have thicker hair now with all the cash he got.

Most people say to give yourself a year to decide if Propecia has been effective in stopping or slowing your hair loss. Think of it as a long and slow process.