how many grafts

i think that i am roughly a 3a based on the norwood scale. how many grafts would i need to get a full head of hair back or at least the allusion of a full head of hair?

bb

i think that i am roughly a 3a based on the norwood scale. how many grafts would i need to get a full head of hair back or at least the allusion of a full head of hair?

bb

This is a question that comes up quite frequently, and there simply is no single answer based simply on your Norwood pattern. There are so many variables involved, it is hard to determine without a thorough examination of your head, or at least really good photos. Not only is your Norwood pattern a factor, but also your hair density, hair thickness, skin tone, and hair color. It also depends on just how aggressive you want to be.

Even the doctors can have vastly different opinions. After I sent my photos off to several doctors, I got estimates ranging from 1200 to 2200 FUs. I wanted to go rather conservative for now, since I am young and have almost no information about my mother's side of the family, as far as hair loss patterns. I could very well end up a NW 6 someday, so I wanted to preserve donor hair for later in life if I need it.

I would recommend doing just as I did... send high quality photos to at least 4 doctors to get an opinion. Describe exactly what you wish to accomplish, and ask for an estimate of how many FUs it would take to do it.

All of the doctors I emailed were very good about getting back to me quickly.

Good luck!

Tedd

You should be able to get a good estimate of what you will need, if you decide how many grafts per square cm. is a good goal for you (based on total donor supply and long term planning).

Calculate the balding area in square cm, and it should get you some approximate numbers. Your Norwood 3 is going to look different han someone else's Norwood 3.

I think there are also some graft estimates at www.hairtransplantadviser.org