Thomas Law, M.D. in NYC

N-6

Hi, does anyone know anything about this surgeon? He is a member of the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS). According to the American Hair Loss Association, membership in the IAHRS is "an elite credential in this field". I don't know if American Hair Loss Association carries weight but its worth for me to investigate. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hairthere, from my research, it looks like Dr. Law is not very visible on forums which is not necessarily a bad thing and may just be the way he runs his practice. He's 1 of only 7 NY docs in IAHRS, right alongside some of the docs that you suggested. I'll keep gathering info on docs. Thanks for response.

Dr. Law is not very visible on forums which is not necessarily a bad thing and may just be the way he runs his practice.

I agree with this statement 100%. But, wouldn't you feel better going with a doctor who had tons of proven results and positive, unbiased patient reviews to look at? HT surgery is not something to take a chance with.

The docs I mentioned, especially Feller, are some of the best HT docs in the world, and they're in your backyard. For an HT you want to go with the best.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

N-6,

The IAHRS and AHLA were fashioned by Spencer Kobren, who has his own set of standards for including doctors. That said, how he prescreens physicians appears to be well concealed and historically, his alliance has included physicians that weren't able to meet the high standards for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network set by this community. To see how we recommend hair transplant physicians, click here.

That said, I'm not familiar with Dr. Law. However, I'd suggest doing as much research as possible (publicly and privately) before selecting a physician.

All the best in selecting a quality surgeon and getting the head of hair you deserve,

Bill

To back up what Bill is saying, my first HT doc was in the IAHRS, and he was using outdated technology. HTN is very discriminating with the docs allowed into the coalition. They have a very careful screening process, and the docs must show examples of their work to members of this forum.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks for your feedback guys. I dont know much about the IAHRS and AHLA other than preliminary stuff I mentioned but definitely have heard of Spencer Kobren (nothing negative from what I can recall).

It can be challenging choosing the right physician because this industry is not technically regulated. Then there are organizations that recommend certain physicians based on their own criteria. What organization has stricter criteria? I dont know that yet. Of course, what are the credentials/education/experience of the people who are doing the selecting on behalf of each organization? I dont know that yet either. Then there is the issue of monetary contributions by physicians to the organizations who recommend them. I dont know that either. Sometimes it can feel like lobbyists/politician situation. Its all a very subjective process. All that said, I'm thankful that there is a lot of public information out there and opportunities to consult with physicians and their patients privately to help us prospective patients make an informed decision. Thanks again.

In any given geographic area of the country, from time to time we tend to see a few of each doctors patients for various reasons. I have seen 3-4 of Dr. Law's over the years and have always been impressed with the fine work he does. It shows artistry and his personal touch. I know that he places most of his own grafts. He also is a regular attender of ISHRS meetings and keeps up. There are several low-key doctors like him in the country who nonetheless do excellent work and shouldn't be disparaged simply because they choose to be lower profile.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

N-6,

While we carefully prescreen and select physicians for recommendation based on high standards, at the end of the day, it is you who need to be comfortable with your choice. Thus, we encourage you to spend a significant amount of time researching all physicians you are considering.

Also, if Dr. Law has Dr. Beehner's stamp of approval, I think he's worth consulting with.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 11 months later...

I have a consultation with DR Law tomorrow his before & after pictures look very good

I had a consultation with Dr John Frank of the Anapelli hair clinic Dr Frank was on The San Francisco 49ers in the 80's who became a Plastic Surgeon i wonder if Dr Beehner knows about him ?? or anyone else on here ?

I did look at law's web site and his results look good. He also uses proper terminology when referring to grafts which is a good sign too, and he shows some immediate post-op work that looks refined. That being said I would still give dr. Feller a chance to assess your situation. Whatever you decide best of luck to you and keep us updated.

I went to Dr Law and he's a nice guy and he would not want to work on me because i had 3 surgeries and if he took another strip i might not have enough hair to cover and i might not get the results im looking for Atleast he's honest

Well im just thinking of a 4th surgery and yes i had went to Feller and he was a nice guy

I got 1800 grafts from him @ a great price 7 years ago but i still have a Big Balding area in the back and not to knock him i was not satified of the final result...Hes done great work on people and is respected ....I had 2 previous surgeies of a total of 1200 grafts done by Dr Cordaro before i went to Dr Feller now i have a total of about 3100 grafts

I was refereed to Dr Law by someone that had a procedure done by him. He said he was satisfied so I went. Dr. Law was personable but kind of vague about details or my expectations. We talked a bit and discussed the cost and I felt it was reasonable so I booked a date. He was suppose to contact me to set up financing. I waited a week and when I didn't hear from him I called and left a message. Another week went by and my procedure was less than a week away so I called again and got him on the phone and he wasn't even sure of the date tha was booked. We agreed to change the date to get the financing straight. Long story short I needed to contact him and it took over a week to have his assistant get back to me. His "office number" is his cell phone which he doesn't seem to answer. I became wherry and started asking about him and see if anyone knew about him, a friend of mine is a hairdresser and he had the answers I needed. He told me he never heard anything good about his work and saw some bad work done by him. My same friend had 3 HT and his last was with True and Dorin and said that is the only place he would go if he needed another HT. So I made an appointment and realized everything happens for a reason. I canceled my procedure with Dr. Law and told him I didn't feel comfortable knowing how difficult it was to get in touch with him. What if I had some complications. He handles his practice very unprofessionally and that is what helped me find True and Dorin which are held in high regard on this forum. I think it was a great outcome for me. I am 2 months post op and can't wait to see my results. I know it will be far better than if I went with Dr. Law. Good luck, this forum will help steer you in the right direction. I found this forum 2 days before my procedure with T&D, I wish I found it sooner.

2,542 strip with Dr. Dorin on December 8, 2010.

1286 Singles.

1176 Doubles.

80 Triples.

3878 hairs.

Your right hes not very prompt his before & after pictures are very good

I talk to Dr Frank @ Anapelli Hair Clinic Dr Frank is also a Plastic Surgeon and he looked at my donor area and said i have a good amount of hair left especially on the sides i did have 3 surgiers already but there are people who had 5 or 6

I would of had a consultation with True & Dorin but they charge alot for a consultation and im not sure if im going for # 4 just yet.. Thanks for the imput