very dry and peeling

I am almost 3 weeks post ht and have been taking minoxidil 5% for the last two weeks and have just started using nioxin as well. When i wake up in the morning my head is peeling like crazy, how long should I take the minoxidil on my whole head? was thinking about just using it now on the crown area or should I continue to use it on my whole head? Just not sure if I like the peeling head look or if that is really good for me. any thoughts would be appreciated

I am almost 3 weeks post ht and have been taking minoxidil 5% for the last two weeks and have just started using nioxin as well. When i wake up in the morning my head is peeling like crazy, how long should I take the minoxidil on my whole head? was thinking about just using it now on the crown area or should I continue to use it on my whole head? Just not sure if I like the peeling head look or if that is really good for me. any thoughts would be appreciated

I agree with Jacob. Drop down to the 2%. It should be less harsh. Maybe in time your scalp wil become acclimated to the 2% and you can move back up to the 5%. Minoxidil is tolerated differently by different users so your experience is not unheard of.

Also take a look at minoxidil.com. There are alcohol-free versions of minoxidil available there.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I have eased back on the 5% to just once a day except for the crown area. Do you think using it could harm my transplanted hairs, they have all pretty much fallen out already and the doc said yo use it to prevent shock loss, but with them all pretty much fallen out should I continue to use the minoxidil on the transplanted area? If not maybe I will just use on the crown area. any advice would be great, thanks about the website will look at it, is the minoxidil without alcohol as good? thanks again

If you want to see benefit from the minoxidil, then I would continue to use it, but drop down to 2% if it really does bother you. You should not have done any damage to the grafts so far, so you can be at ease about that.

I have not used alcohol-free minoxidil since I am lucky in that I tolerate 5% generic minoxidil very well. It seems that I can slather it on my scalp all day with no detrimental effects. Luck of the draw, I guess. Relatively speaking, you wouldn't see TOO much of an imporovement by using 5% over 2% if you are only using it for a couple of months post-op on the recipient any way. Definitely give the 2% a shot.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog