donor scar care

Hello all,

I will be undergoing a donor scar revision in a few weeks. Any tip on how best to care for your scar days following the surgery and after? I really would like avoid the scar stretching!

thanks,

Jwaves

Hello all,

I will be undergoing a donor scar revision in a few weeks. Any tip on how best to care for your scar days following the surgery and after? I really would like avoid the scar stretching!

thanks,

Jwaves

This is something I am worried about too. In fact, I think its the biggest thing I am worried about.

I am doing scalp exercises, and in addition I've bought some products that will help reduce the appearance of the scar (I hope), like Mederma.

I'd love to hear a doctor weigh in on this. I spoke with Dr. Charles and Dr. Gabel during a live chat and they gave a bit of advice: don't try to "test" your mobility in the scar area at all after surgery. They said that its natural to want to test your limits after surgery.

Hope that helps.

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

jwaves,

Caring for the donor scar is very easy. Your responsibility will be to keep the donor area clean by washing the area thoroughly but gently in order to not cause any pain. Keep the sutures/staples in as long as your hair restoration physician recommends and then after that just keep the area clean and relax.

Do not put too much strain on the scar. Don't do any intense weight lifting, stretching, or heavy aerobic exercises for the first several weeks. Gradually increase your workout routine. Common sense is the key. If you feel a strain in the donor area, stop what you are doing.

Also avoid putting your chin on your chest as that will cause additional strain on the scalp (I consider this part of intense stretching since it puts a strain on the donor scar).

You can also ask your hair transplant surgeon how your physiology plays a role in donor stretching.

Those with extremely elastic scalps may have "thin skin" (though this is not necessary true). The lack of collagen puts these hair transplant patients at additional risk of donor scar stretching.

I hope this helps.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Emu:

In answer to your question, I have posted previously on different threads regarding scars. In terms of management, avoid any heavy exertion or neck stretching for minimum of two weeks. the more the better. A scar takes a full 6-8 months to fully mature and reagain 90% of its strength. Mederma is okay. One study compared it to vaseline and they were equal. ALdara has some promise for hypertrophic scarring.

Ricardo Mejia

Hair Transplant Network Physician

Juiter FL 561-748-0510

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your insight...I really appreciate this. I have mentally memorized all the advice. The doctor is leaving the non dissolve sutures in for a few weeks and I am not lifting heavy anything for the next month!

One other question, when is safe to start using Mederma after the operation?