I am Afraid!

Guest MisterChris

Guest MisterChris

I have been researching HT for the better part of 10 years. I'm in my mid/late 30s and am a NW class 4/5, but still have hair on top, albeit thin with recession. It hasnt receeded down far on side or in back so I am sure I have good donor supply.

In fact, in the late 90s I had consults with several doctors. Only one of them (Beehner) had impressive results and a decent personality. I'm not sure Beehner is doing exclusively FUs and I'm not sure he's equipped for mega sessions.

Now, while HT is *expensive*, I can afford it, although it will set back my savings. That is not the biggest concern. . .

What it comes down to is that I'm deathly afraid of a botched result! I dont have unrealistic expectations, I'm just afraid of spending the price of a new automobile in one afternoon, waiting for nine months, only to find out the result is too thin, wispy, grows in funny, cant be styled, has a big donor scar so cant be cut short, loss of sensation, permanent pain, or worst of all it is *obvious*.

I havent even chosen a doctor and because of my fears, I'm not moving forward on this, although I should be.

Please someone talk some sense into me.

Guest MisterChris

I have been researching HT for the better part of 10 years. I'm in my mid/late 30s and am a NW class 4/5, but still have hair on top, albeit thin with recession. It hasnt receeded down far on side or in back so I am sure I have good donor supply.

In fact, in the late 90s I had consults with several doctors. Only one of them (Beehner) had impressive results and a decent personality. I'm not sure Beehner is doing exclusively FUs and I'm not sure he's equipped for mega sessions.

Now, while HT is *expensive*, I can afford it, although it will set back my savings. That is not the biggest concern. . .

What it comes down to is that I'm deathly afraid of a botched result! I dont have unrealistic expectations, I'm just afraid of spending the price of a new automobile in one afternoon, waiting for nine months, only to find out the result is too thin, wispy, grows in funny, cant be styled, has a big donor scar so cant be cut short, loss of sensation, permanent pain, or worst of all it is *obvious*.

I havent even chosen a doctor and because of my fears, I'm not moving forward on this, although I should be.

I can tell you that the quality of HT's have improved dramatically in the past 10 years. If you go to a top doctor your guaranteed a great result. The new tricho closure technique can make the donor scar undetectable. Many people here have said that their barber was unable to find the scar after a few months. As for the results well they speak for themselves check out this forum and the patient gallery. I have not seen anything but completely natural results from the top doctors.

I am just over 2 weeks from my HT with Ron Shapiro. I cannot feel my scar as it is completely flat and at the moment it is only a very thin line which will fade over time. The donor area is still detectable because I don't have long enough hair to cover the shaved area, which means I will be resorting to using concealers for a couple of weeks (I suggest that you leave your donor hair long around 2-3 inches in length if you want to hide the donor area immediately post op). As for the expected results well Im only expecting the best from who many believe is the best in the world.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

check, www.hassonandwong.com, i believe they may be the best=i just had a punctiform micrograft proceedure, and hope i did not make a mistake

Originally posted by MisterChris:

MC,

Whether or not you want the HT is totally up to you for a variety of reasons. From your post, it appears you're suffering from "analysis paralysis" icon_wink.gif. If you've been researching this for 10 years, you've seen the HUGE technological advances that have been made when it comes to the insicisions, donor scar, graft placement/angulation, session size.......the list goes on and on.

Personally, when I chose H & W for my 2nd HT, after I consulted and committed to have it done, I didn't dream that it would turn out bad. IMO, when you have a list of excellent surgeons to choose from with proven results, and they'll stand behind the procedure if isn't satisfactory, it's just a matter of deciding to spend the money and making the appointment.

I'm not making light of any concerns you may have. It is a surgical procedure and there have been those who have had less than fortunate results. However, if you chose from the best (i.e. Coalition Surgeons) you can't go wrong.

Good luck with your decision.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.