New Hair Loss Drug in Clinical Trials

Guest Cousin_It

Guest Cousin_It

Guys...

Just wanted to bring to light information concerning a drug currently undergoing a Phase II trial for hair loss, PSK3841. The French company conducting the trials is Proskelia Pharmaceuticals, the info provided is this:

******************************************************************************************************************************

Topical Anti-Androgen _ PSK3841

PSK 3841 is an innovative molecule with a unique mechanism of action for the treatment of androgen-dependent conditions, such as alopecia and acne.

In pre-clinical studies, it has shown promising activity in various animal models of acne, alopecia and hirsutism. The product has good systemic and dermal tolerance. In human clinical pharmacology, there was no systemic anti-androgenic activity and again good general and dermal tolerance.

PSK 3841 has completed several Phase I studies and is currently in Phase II for alopecia. A clinical proof of principle phase II study in acne is also ongoing.

This product is available for licensing.

******************************************************************************************************************************

For those interested in knowing more I will provide you with some additional information.

Back in the 90's a French company, Rosseau Pharmaceuticals developed a topical anti-androgen named RU 58841. Initial studies conducted at the time both in Europe and the US on the stump tailed macaque for androgenic alopecia proved extremely positive. The drug action was proported able to stop DHT binding to the receptor by over 90% without any systematic absorption. Hair growth witnessed in these trials spoke for themselves. Unfortunately at the time Rosseau was undergoing changes of ownership and the testing ended. It has basically sat around in limbo since this time.

Recently it has been licensed to other European companies which saw it as a viable treatment in MPB to continue the research. It appears on the surface to have all the benefits of a topical anti-androgen, it works and has not caused any side effects in the studies.

One big caveat, stability of the compound is a problematic. By nature of its chemical formulation it is highly hygroscopic, meaning its attracts moisture from the atmosphere. When this happens, it quickly degrades and becomes unstable and virtually useless. Companies are currently working on a means to counteract this. I am not sure if this has been solved as of yet, though I have a possible solution in mind, but if it has, a monumental roadblock to its eventual release has been removed.

I have done quite a bit of research on the drug over the past few months, reading through clinical trials, contacting the manufacturer of RU and speaking to individuals who have used it. I have actually considered trying it myself. Nothing but positive claims have been made with the exception of its stability. If this has been solved it appears RU will become the most exciting hair growth drug to date.

Yes.............great news, indeed!

Cousin- I look forward to any other information you can bring to the forum regarding this!!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.