please respond with advice

rob

i am 7.5 mos post h/t surgery. i used a recommended doctor from this site. i was pretty happy, until i began experiencing two new things. first, the new hair coming up in front is too wavy. it is very difficult to comb. when it gets humid, it will even be harder. i never had wavy hair in front, i think my donor area must have had a wave in it. anyway it is a pain. i don't have long in the morning to get ready for work, and it is driving me bananas. second, my hairline is disappointing, it lacks definition. i think it may not have taken right. the doctor told me it would have single and double hairs in front, with the f/u's spread out behind it for a natural look. that did not happen. i thought it would come in much denser than this. i had 2000 f/u's in a single session. i don't know if i expect too much, i told the doctor i only wanted to do this once, and possibly the grafts were spread as widely as possible to accomplish that. i wish my hairline looked denser. can i do anything about waviness? i would appreciate any feedback. thank you. i am not mentioning the doctor here in all fairness because i have not yet been able to travel back to the city of the h/t.

i am 7.5 mos post h/t surgery. i used a recommended doctor from this site. i was pretty happy, until i began experiencing two new things. first, the new hair coming up in front is too wavy. it is very difficult to comb. when it gets humid, it will even be harder. i never had wavy hair in front, i think my donor area must have had a wave in it. anyway it is a pain. i don't have long in the morning to get ready for work, and it is driving me bananas. second, my hairline is disappointing, it lacks definition. i think it may not have taken right. the doctor told me it would have single and double hairs in front, with the f/u's spread out behind it for a natural look. that did not happen. i thought it would come in much denser than this. i had 2000 f/u's in a single session. i don't know if i expect too much, i told the doctor i only wanted to do this once, and possibly the grafts were spread as widely as possible to accomplish that. i wish my hairline looked denser. can i do anything about waviness? i would appreciate any feedback. thank you. i am not mentioning the doctor here in all fairness because i have not yet been able to travel back to the city of the h/t.

There are some different possibilities.

I believe if the grafts are distorted, they can grow a little kinky. This happened to me. However if you used a recommended doc, this distortion should be unlikely. Hopefully this is a temporary "in-between" phase and your hair will grow out normally.

Regarding your hairline, is it possible you are losing some of your original hair, which is resulting in the thinning look? You should be using Propecia to maintain any remaining original hair you have. HT do not prevent baldness.

Also, your hair should continue to thicken as it comes in. Hair shaft thickness actually does account for a lot, regarding coverage. I believe around the one-year mark, thickness should be around "normal".

Also, depending on your Norwood level, having one 2000 graft session will only get you so far. I believe most doctors need more than one pass to really build a good hairline, depending on how much needs to be done. For more info on that, look at the articles on "hairlines" in the "Research Library" here.

arfy,

i spoke to my doctor today. she says it is common for the hair to come out wavy until each site gets more maturity. she said at about one year it should begin going away. that was a relief to hear. i'm happy with my h/t, and would like about 500-800 more grafts to fill it out and finish it off.for me the scalp numbness ( which went away mostly) was the worst part of it. well, one thing is for sure, i am a lot better off than i was (hair wise) 7.5 mos. ago!

Rob,

If you think you are happy at 7.5 months, just wait and see how you will feel at a year. It only gets better. You still have got more growth and thickening to see.

Ron