hypothetical

quimby

What do you think the world would be like when (not if) the day comes when there is an unambiguous cure for baldness? Do you think there would be scenes similar to V-Day? How would you personally react (week long bender?). Just a light-hearted thought for discussion.

What do you think the world would be like when (not if) the day comes when there is an unambiguous cure for baldness? Do you think there would be scenes similar to V-Day? How would you personally react (week long bender?). Just a light-hearted thought for discussion.

IMO............I don't think it will be as dramatic as some might think. Since HT's have been around, especially with mega sessions of the past few years exceeding total grafts harvested of more than 10,000, a pretty full look can be achieved. Also, whatever the cure (HM or something else) it's likely to be so expensive (yes, even more than HT's icon_wink.gif) that few will be able to afford it.

Personally, I'd love it. However, it would be like anything else.............once a bald person doesn't have to be bald anymore, it'll be a given and the next "issue" will be brought to the front burner......i.e. everyone will want to be buff...taller....different features.......whatever the case may be.

I'll be interested to hear other thoughts on this...........neat thread! Hang around and join in the discussion, quimby.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

quimby,

Actually, I have to disagree with hairbank a little on this one. Most of the population, other than us hair guru's see hair transplantation as "getting plugs" leaving people with an unnatural and obviously bad look.

The problem is, however, the same people who are under the impression that hair transplantation is the same as unnatural looking plugs are the same people who will buy into the "miracle cure" scams out there today.

Regardless, I tend to think if there really was a "cure" for hairloss, one's its proven true, it would be pretty big news.

Of course, something such as this would probably end up being big bucks anyway...at least in the beginning, maybe even more than hair transplantation.

However, depending on the "cure"...I would personally react differently. If the "cure" is to target baldness before it happens (kind of like a vaccine), then I couldn't do anything about it. If it was to regrow hair, well, I suppose even with all the hair transplantation, I could ALWAYS use more density icon_wink.gif.

Interesting discussion.

Bill

If there was a cure? Hmm. I'd do it and be done with it. I don't know if I'd go celebrating, it's not THAT big of a deal.

Hairbank - there already is a miracle, no-fail cure for being buff. Go to the gym. Easy! The fact that 99% of the population is too lazy to go is actually a good thing as it makes those of us who do look so much better in comparison icon_smile.gif

I agree, YG..... icon_wink.gif

I've been on layoff from my workout routine for almost 1 year now but am getting to the point I'll HAVE to go back! I feel like weight training not is not only good for your body but your overall attitude as well!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Oh, I agree. And I have a feeling that regular exercise improves blood flow to the head which results in better healing. I'm at 3 months 1 week after my 1st HT and I swear, another few weeks and I'll be able to ditch the hat.

Most of the population, other than us hair guru's see hair transplantation as "getting plugs" leaving people with an unnatural and obviously bad look.

I think this is true also. It's funny because there are actually a ton of pop culture references to bad hair plugs out there. I have seen Halloween "business man wigs" with ungodly looking plugs sticking out of it, commercials on T.V. in which people's hair plugs are pulled out for comedic effect, etc. The only information about modern hair transplantation that I was exposed to before I began learning about it on my own was from Bosley infomercials at 4 in the morning, which most people either don't see or assume is bull (which I guess it kinda' is). I saw this one guy in person once who had ten fat, long plugs of hair slicked back over his head, which was literally a light shade of purple. I thought, "Why on earth would anyone do that?" It was not until I started doing my own research that I realized how the techniques had changed. This is just another reason why modern hair transplants, if done properly, are undetectable: the average person simply does not know what evidence to look for if trying to detect a ht. Hair transplantation still pretty much seems like this esoteric practice. So in a similar ironic fashion to what Younguy said about people not working out and healthy people reaping the benefits, it is a great thing for us that most people are ignorant when it comes to the art of modern hair restoration, and that some balding guys either don't care about their hair or don't bother to look into it, even though more interest in the industry might generate even more research (although I guess science takes time regardless).

However, it would be like anything else.............once a bald person doesn't have to be bald anymore, it'll be a given and the next "issue" will be brought to the front burner......i.e. everyone will want to be buff...taller....different features.......whatever the case may be.

I agree with this also, and think that even with a cure for baldness, hair transplantation, in whatever form it evolves to, will still be around to some extent, simply because people will want their hair refined. The focus will go from simply wanting more hair or better looking hair to wanting the "perfect" hair. It is seemingly impossible to regrow the hairline with medications currently, so this might suggest that even a drug that could regrow a basic full head of hair probably won't stimulate much in the hairline.

About working out:

Is there a way to get stronger without getting much bigger? I started a basic weight lifting routine in high school, and basically got to where I wanted to be in terms of mass and definition, but I want to get stronger. To give you an idea, I'm 170 and can bench 200, which shows that I'm not a big gym buff. However, I like my size now, which is skinny with pretty good definition; I just want to get stronger without bulking up. All my friends who lift look way too big, and argue that it is impossible to get stronger without being huge. But I remember there were skinny kids in high school on the wrestling team who could bench like twice their weight. I guess I should have posted this in the non hair loss related threads, but no one looks in those. icon_biggrin.gif

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

started
About working out:

Is there a way to get stronger without getting much bigger?

Youngsuccess,

Yes, more reps, lighter weight. This is called endurance or strength training. This will help "cut" you and make you stronger. Combine this with a healthy diet and could potentially be ripped icon_wink.gif

Bill