2nd HT w/Shapiro

SouthCarolina

I am 6 days post opp with my 2nd HT with Dr. Shapiro. The 1st was 3 years ago in FL which yielded about 1800. I am a NW 7 so my expectations are not as great as some of you. I also wear a system over my transplants. (I'm 46 years old.)

This time I got 2100. It was actually more than I expected and I was pleased. We filled in between the old grafts and concentrated in the center more and also on the lateral hump (over the ears). We decided to go a little more heavy on the part side in order to allow a possibility to throw the system away when this grows in. With these new grafts I must say that I haven't seen the top so full in 20 years! I am excited to see how this turns/grows out and at least for now ... I'm filled with a at least a little hope of gaining my "follicular freedom" from the system.

I know the big wait is next so...

An unusual note. We observed that it appeared most of my 1st HT grafts were singles. I had a lot more 2's and 3's this time. Hopefully that will pay off in density.

I have plans for 1 more HT to round things out. Probably 1000 or less since I don't have an over abundance of donor.

This was my first trip to MN and their office was great. It was modern and clean. (The weather was crappy and cold!! MN is no place to live ... at least in the winter. Its was snowing too! Very uncomfortable for us Southern guys.) Shapiro was tops as you might expect and ALL the assistants in the office were professional yet absolutely friendly. I was there 10-11 hours. The actual procedure was almost painless. A piece of cake. Only a small pin prick.

Negatives. Everyone knows about the wait for regrowth so enough said. Getting someone to take the stitches out later and that 10 day window is not enjoyable but there's not actually any pain. My having to deal with a system and taking it on & off each night to wash the grafts is the MOST annoying part but most of you won't have to deal with this situation.

I also met Dr. Rose. He seemed to be a great guy (down to earth like Shapiro) also.

Final results are a ways off so I won't even try to say otherwise .... but I'm hopeful.

• Administrators

A big congratulations to you and thanks for sharing!

As a former "system" wearer I can relate to your excitement at the thought of a "system" free life style.

Perhaps like a feminist burning her bra you will have a ceremony to symbolize your freedom when that day comes! My personal preference is for burning. But drownding it like a hairy rat is another good option. If others care to add their suggestions - by all means jump in.

Ok, perhaps I'm being too severe. In all fairness some find that surgically restoring the frontal hairline and wearing a system behind it can provide a very natural hairline with a full look throughout.

But once again my preference is fire.

Congratulations in advance.

Pat

Sharing our ideas and photos is what keeps this site real. Please participate by posting and replying.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Yeah, I got an idea for that 'ol rag. Send it to Kent, that clown that's looking for handouts for a transplant. He can clean that smelly thing, put it on his bald head and maybe he'll quit buggin'.

Seriously though, SC, I can feel your joy all the way across where ever your at. One of the nicest parts about finding this website is hearing the happiness you guys express after such a life changing thing as this. SC, I could also feel your pain about that f**ken rag. That's what makes your joy come out so loud now.

SouthCarolina,

Congratulations on selecting an excellent Doctor. Dr. Shapiro was on my short list also and I know does great work. I am a systems wearer also, or was until tonight. I am also a nw6-7. I will post pics later for you to see. I know in your situation, you will continue your system until everything looks greeat. Maybe when that happens, you can post your end results....

Congrats again...

Griswald