The FUE BUZZ

It has been debated and desired for the past few years but the jury is still out:

-Is it possible to get an FUE HT and then buzz your head and it will look completely normal?

Obviously the donor will look a bit sparse on close inspection but I am more concerned about the receipent.

I want to do this as I love having a buzz cut, I just look silly with a buzz since I have no hairline.

Anyone tried this?

It has been debated and desired for the past few years but the jury is still out:

-Is it possible to get an FUE HT and then buzz your head and it will look completely normal?

Obviously the donor will look a bit sparse on close inspection but I am more concerned about the receipent.

I want to do this as I love having a buzz cut, I just look silly with a buzz since I have no hairline.

Anyone tried this?

someone posted a response to one of my posts regarding this same question. I believe it was balody but Im not sure might have been gazza cause I get those british boys mixed up. Anyway, I got a hyperlink which showed this guy who had two transplants (both strip) THEN a FUE done ONLY INTO the scar. thats right, all of the hairs from the FUE were placed into the back of his head into his scar and he was able to wear his hair short (as in a #3 buzz cut) without the scar being visible. It was done by Dr. Jones if memory serves correctly. Anyway, the scar in the donor area was completely undetectable after the FUE. Im wondering why your concerned about the recipient area as being obvious. How would the recipient area differ than that of a strip transplant? FUE, from my understanding, only has beneficial qualities with respect to the donor area scarring...Unless your talking about 'cherry picking' fine hairs for the hair line-which probably never happens-this would never matter if the hair was buzzed down anyway. Am I missing something?

I thought the website included one of the following words: 'whoop' or 'shoop' but I have been unable to find it again. If you have any luck finding it or if anyone who sees this knows what Im talking about please respond as I would like to see those pics and results again.

Originally posted by el guapo:

Anyone tried this?

Let me try to explain some points.

First of all it is important which extraction instruments are used. Anything above 0,8 increases the chances of visible scarring.

Also important is that the patient must be willing to shave the donor area completely during each procedure. This will help to spread out the extractions and thus minimize the number of grafts taken per cm2.

Given that most donor areas are between 150 and 200 cm2 :

For 2000 grafts extracted it means a reduction of about 10 to 13 grafts per cm2, not likely to be visible unless very close inspection.

The more grafts are extracted the more likely the donor area starts to appear less dense.

I guess as of about 4000 grafts extracted the donor area might start showing some signs of missing grafts at very short hairlenght.

There are no miracles, not even with FUE.

However I would still go as far as to say that 4000 grafts FUE extracted donor area at 1 or 2 mm will be much less visible than after a 4000 grafts strip scar at the same lenght.

BArt

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

The only variable not mentioned here is that scarring also has a lot to do with the hair transplant patient's physiology.

Scarring can sometimes be unpredictable so even in the hands of a first-rate hair restoration physician, using small extraction instruments.

These risks are minimized in the hands of a quality hair restoration physician, but are not 100% predictable.

Bill

this is true about scarring as when i look at my hairline with a magnefying glass i can see the tiny bits of scar tissue from my fue

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Assuming you have good work done, you can trim the recipient and it will look fine. Angles and recipient scarring are not really big issues with custom blades and overall good technique.

I would add, however, that many of the "wow" results we see are the products of top work in combination with hair length. When rows of hair lay over each other you get a better appearance of coverage. Remember that, even with dense packing, you are not getting your pre-MPB hair density. The relative thinness may be more apparent with shorter hair. Less is not more but, with buzzed hair, it can be enough to create the appearance of a hairline.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I would add, however, that many of the "wow" results we see are the products of top work in combination with hair length. When rows of hair lay over each other you get a better appearance of coverage. Remember that, even with dense packing, you are not getting your pre-MPB hair density.

Very well Said !!!

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

hi ng2gb

unfortunately for myself i made a poor choice of clinic to do my fue.i probably could have done a better job myself but thats in the past and i`m looking forward to having one more strip sometime next year.also they harvested too many fue`s from one area which is noticably more thinner than the rest of my donor.

i have seen a few good fue patients since and their results are outstanding.

ng2gb

no you cant,you could originally 3 years ago but now its really hard to see as time has healed it,the only problem is there is a nice thin/balding area right in the middle of my hairline which gives the appearance of a center parting.

i would recomend fue to anyone as long as its done by a reputable dr and you are a suitable candidate.

Thanks for the replies guys.

"How would the recipient area differ than that of a strip transplant?"

-It would not I believe.

I am more concerend about the difference between planted and non-planted hairs.

And not really on a hair to hair basis, more as a whole. If you look at a transplanted graft individually I am sure you will have problems setting it apart from a native graft. Its more the transplanted area as a whole.

If a section of your head (frontal 3rd) for example is transplanted, and then the area behind it (mid scalp) is native hair, will those two areas look different and make the frontal 3rd stand out?

(The difference can be the angulation, shaft diameter, density, scar tissue etc etc)

Another question I have is if you would need to achieve the same density if it was you intention of buzzing it down or keeping it very short?

"Isn't this what Dr. Cole calls "less is more"."

-Yes it is. I have seen some results on rare occasions where it seems it may be possible but I have not seen this in real life. Dr Cole planted (pun intended) this idea in my head in an article a while back.

Not sure why he is using such big extraction tools tho?

"Scarring can sometimes be unpredictable so even in the hands of a first-rate hair restoration physician, using small extraction instruments.

These risks are minimized in the hands of a quality hair restoration physician, but are not 100% predictable."

-Thats a great point. Can this be tested before the procedure?