questionabledocs.org

Pappas

Some here at this site and any other internet forum are shills for certain docs, methods, or systems, no doubt. Don't believe everything you read on this or any site. Go to questionabledoctors.org and plug in your physician to see if the state board has a problem with your physician. Talk to them about any issues you perceive. If you don't like it, walk out.

The state medical boards only record if a doctor has been disciplined, not if he has complaints from patients, has been sued etc. Since only a tiny fraction of complaints result in a doctor being disciplined, your suggestion is not the whole solution. (I still think it is helpful to complain to the state medical boards, even if the doctor is not disciplined).

The problem is that a crappy-looking transplant is still considered a "success" legally. All the doctor has to do is move the hair from the back to the front, and he has done his job. If you look bizarre as a result, that's your problem. So the standards of success are extremely low, as are the standards of failure.

If your criteria for picking a doctor is just "he's never been sued" or "he's never had his license suspended" that is going to possibly expose you to the worst doctors doing transplants... Because many of the worst transplant doctors have never been sued successfully, or never had their licenses suspended, but have screwed up thousands of guys. What you are suggesting is like saying "if you meet someone who doesn't have a police record, then you can trust them". Sorry but that is not true.

That's why sites like these are valuable, it lets real-life users report on their experiences. If you disagree with some of the information here, then lets hear about it, instead of making blanket statements?

And by the way Larry Lee Bosley has been cited by at least 14 states he's in for something. Just a thought before you go under the knife.

BOSLEY, LARRY L MINNESOTA

BOSLEY, LARRY L BEVERLY HILLS, CA NEW YORK

BOSLEY, LARRY L BEVERLY HILLS, CA WASHINGTON

BOSLEY, LARRY L BEVERLY HILLS, CA MISSOURI

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA CALIFORNIA

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA MARYLAND

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA CONNECTICUT

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA OHIO

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA UTAH

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA MICHIGAN

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA VIRGINIA

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA GEORGIA

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA INDIANA

BOSLEY, LARRY LEE BEVERLY HILLS, CA MASSACHUSETTS

Pappas,

I agree there are some shills or at least people of question on this site, How close is the Doc/Patient relationship and also the financial possibilities of refferals ? (very good point - I agree). On the other hand this site has saved more than a few from walking in the doors to Bosley - MHR etc..or sometimes even worse a plastic surgeon doing "part time" HT.

The educational properties here are quite important to a person considering HT. Looking at a list of poor doctor names is fine but it teaches you nothing about the process, view as many sites and obtain as much info as possible, in my opinion this site is an excellent place to monitor.

NW

Pappas asked "How do you know any of this is true? "

Research. I've already been burned, so I made a point of finding out these types of things.

Very few complaints to a state medical board will result in a disciplinary action (including all types of bad doctors here, not just bad hair transplant doctors). There is a general crisis situation about how hard it is to get a state medical board to discipline bad doctors of ALL types.

I am familiar with the website www.questionabledoctors.org and Public Citizen (that's where I learned that very few complains end up in disciplinary action) and I think they are valuable resources. I didn't say not to look there, just that you need to look elsewhere too. A doctor can have many complaints, but if the board takes no action, there is no record of that which the public can access.

The NuHart chain of clinics is (in my opinion) not a good place to geta transplant. But questionabledoctors.org only tracks individual doctors (there is no "Dr. NuHart" to my knowledge). Individual doctors tend to come and go at places like NuHart. It might be very hard to find out NuHart was bad, just going by the state medical records. I recently learned that NuHart lost a class-action lawsuit brought by hundreds of dissatisfied patients. This is something that the state medical boards do not keep track of.

As I said, a crummy-looking transplant can still be considered a "success" from a legal standpoint. The standards of success are extremely low, in the eyes of the state medical boards. Bosley did not get in trouble for doing bad-looking work but because they doctored photos, made false claims, etc.

So I don't disagree with your post, Pappas, I just suggest that the state medical boards only tell a part of the story, and patients need to dig around in other places too.