removal of absorbable sutures by hair stylist :)

If the absorbable sutures could not be found, maybe it's because they absorbed? I sure wouln't go reopening the wound looking for them. That sounds like a *horrendously* bad move.

I had absorbable sutures used in the last procedure. The point is that you don't have to actually have them removed, they dissolve over time. That said, though, not all dissolvable sutures are equal, and apparently they do fail to absorb sometimes and have to be removed. In my case, they sort of broke apart after a couple weeks, and i just pulled them out effortlessly in chunks over a span of about a week or so. It was nothing. I won't use them next time, though. They are not ideal, and I think they caused some isolated irritatation at a point or two along the scar. Not horrendous, but I think I'll just stick to the regular sutures/staples next time.

Just for clarification, I think pretty much ALL quality docs use seep absorbable sutures INTERNAL to the wound. I am of course referring to the external closing of the donor wound in the above remarks.

Stimpy

John,

You sound like you are talking to yourself. What's with the dog statement? I'm not getting it.

What are you saying Dr. Haber disagrees with? I'm certain he would agree with the text book definition of the optimal place for donor excision, which is the same as Dr. Feller mentions in the above article you've cited. Some exceptions can be and are occasionally made, but there is an increased of scar stretching when the strip is taken too low.

Bill

John I have seen you post regarding your sutures a few times. I'm very sorry for what happened to you but I do have a few questions.

Were you told you had absorbable sutures?

If so why were you going to get them removed?

I agree a hair stylist should probably not be removing your sutures (if they are supposed to be removed) so did you consider going to a medical doctor to have them removed?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by john36:

wantego

I was not told I have absorbable sutures.Board Certified Dermatologist who treated my inflamed scar 9I will not give name here but it is in my law suit),and who read my med record from Weiss,told me that Dr.paul Weiss did not even put in my med chart that the sutures were absorbable,but the other kind,that is removed after 7-9 days after surgery.Therefore no one knew they are absorbable.

further,it is not my duty as a patient to question my doctors medical decisions.Like i said before,at that time I had complete trust in Weiss.I thought he knows what he is doing,when sutures should be removed,etc.

I listened to my doctors orders.What do you mean did you consider to go to another doctor to have them removed?I trusted my own doctor,doctor Weiss,unfortunately.

hair stylist should probably not remove them you say/I say definately not.Specially if she does not have a clue what she is doing,like I explained above.

John I'm not trying to blame you in any way. I'm just asking you questions that came to me when reading your account.

Personally I do not know what your doctor was thinking if he used absorbent sutures and then asked you to get them out in 7-9 days. Nor do I understand why he would send you to a hair stylist. Ive heard of wives pulling out staples but I think going to a medical doctor if able makes more sense than going to a hair stylist for suture removal. That is why I asked you if you considered having a doctor remove them at the time.

I'm sincerely sorry you have had to go through all this. I'm very disappointed to hear how things went for you via your HT and suture removal.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Dr. Haber here, and it does appear that I was misunderstood. The location of the incision is only part of the process of obtaining an excellent scar. Excellent donor scars can certainly result from excisions taken low, just as wide donor scars can occur even with perfectly located incisions. Surgical technique, wound tension, and individual healing characteristics all play an important role as well. That said, the likelihood of producing an ideal scar is maximized when the incision is placed at or above the occipital protuberance.

As far as suture or staple removal goes, as long as the physician has trained and supervises the person performing this task, almost anyone can do it, as long as they have a gentle touch.

I agree with Dr. Haber. Anyone can take out sutures with a bit of training.

I also agree that it is the closing of the wound that requires skill and tension-management. That is what yields consistent and acceptable scars.

That being said, it is my advice to have me or my staff take out sutures on all of our patients. It gives us a chance to make sure all is going according to plan, to reassure the patient, and to nip any small problems in the bud. Again, the patient has paid a good bit of money for the total package....let us take out your sutures to make sure all is going according to plan.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians