Anti-Swelling Advice

Joecifus

Thought y'all might want to start a thread covering things that worked for you.

I had a great experience regarding swelling, I know some others haven't, so I thought I'd share the things my Doc did that kept swelling away. Please feel free to comment or add your own advice to help others.

On my first procedure, I had absolutely no swelling at all. On the second procedure, I had some for 1-2 days in the front of my right ear. The difference, I believe, was that I did not wear the headband the second time (on doctor's advice for that particular time since he did most of the work on the top and crown).

Here's what he advised, and what worked for me:

- I took heavy doses of Vitamin C regularly for 10 days up to and through the surgery.

- Bromalin (a pineapple extract at any GNC) for 6-7 days before surgery was recommended (I couldn't take it due to medication I was on already).

- No caffeine, alchohol or smokes as far prior to the surgery as you can stand it.

- Post-op, wear a gym-type headband around the forehead for 4 days.

- Prednezone tablets (sp?) for 3 days afterward - an anti-swelling agent I believe.

- He also gave me diuretic tablets (forces fluid from the body) if I noticed any swelling. I did take one of these about 4 days post-op due to the swelling by my ear. It went away at the end of the day.

That's it. Hope it helps someone.

Thought y'all might want to start a thread covering things that worked for you.

I had a great experience regarding swelling, I know some others haven't, so I thought I'd share the things my Doc did that kept swelling away. Please feel free to comment or add your own advice to help others.

On my first procedure, I had absolutely no swelling at all. On the second procedure, I had some for 1-2 days in the front of my right ear. The difference, I believe, was that I did not wear the headband the second time (on doctor's advice for that particular time since he did most of the work on the top and crown).

Here's what he advised, and what worked for me:

- I took heavy doses of Vitamin C regularly for 10 days up to and through the surgery.

- Bromalin (a pineapple extract at any GNC) for 6-7 days before surgery was recommended (I couldn't take it due to medication I was on already).

- No caffeine, alchohol or smokes as far prior to the surgery as you can stand it.

- Post-op, wear a gym-type headband around the forehead for 4 days.

- Prednezone tablets (sp?) for 3 days afterward - an anti-swelling agent I believe.

- He also gave me diuretic tablets (forces fluid from the body) if I noticed any swelling. I did take one of these about 4 days post-op due to the swelling by my ear. It went away at the end of the day.

That's it. Hope it helps someone.

Some physicians advise against taking any supplements or vitamins prior to surgery. I am curious about how Vitamin C is supposed to be helpful. I thought it has an anticoagulent effect which would be something to avoid. Do you know what the purpose of the Vitamin C is? Did your surgeon say that it would specifically help reduce swelling or was there some other benefit?

Thanks Paul

I believe that if you're going to swell up you're going to swell up. I've had 3 surgeries, and I have never swelled up in the slightest, and I did nothing to prevent swelling. I think its an individual by individual situation.

Manko

It may well be a simple matter of individual reaction, but I had no swelling whatsoever following my recent HT.

I took Predinsone and iced my forehead several times a day. All the other restrictions I believe have more to do with bleeding than swelling. Except for the headband thing, which I've never heard of, and obviously didn't use myself.

Vitamin C is not an anticoagulent. You are probably thinking of Vitamin E. Vitamin C simply helps promote healing.

I used an ace bandage wrapped around my forehead at night. It provided more constriction over a broader area than a head band would, but the idea is the same. My surgeon, who was a general surgeon before becoming a hair transplant surgeon, recommended this. It seemed to be very effective. I had brief swelling around the eyes (which weren't bandaged) for one morning during healing. I would definitely include the bandage in any future post op care. Also, prednisone definitey does protect against swelling for many people. Not all swelling in all people can be stopped, but it can be limited or avoided in many.

Paul-

Thanks. I'm sure some or many docs have individual preferences regarding vitamins, etc. But, if pre-ops are armed with the suggestions of others in this forum, they can at least discuss any individual item with their doctor, and come to their own conclusions.

thx

j