whats the maximum grafts a doc can take from the back & sides?

From my understanding the projected max# of grafts an average head can bare varies from doc to doc. Some docs claim way higher numbers can be taken than others and there is some controversy over this. Hasson & Wong, for example have patients whom they have succesfully extracted and transplanted over 10K grafts over two sessions. Some people debate over whether or not they are subdividing the grafts (i.e. cutting up naturally occuring grafts of 2's and 3's into 1's in order to reach these outstanding numbers). Personally, I look at their results and am blown away. To me it looks like they really are moving those numbers of grafts as the coverage and density appears to be phenomenal.

Of course there are variables that are relative to each individual as well, such as:

(i) hair density

(ii) scalp laxity

caucasions have (on average) greater density than those of their Asian counterparts.

One other consideration is when one extracts that many grafts, in some cases, they are left with a less than favorable scar as opposed to be ing more conservative. But, hell if it comes down to a scar on the back of my head (which can be covered) or hair on the top of my head; Im going for the latter. My thoughts anyway...

Chris,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Notgoing2gobald has given you some excellent information (nice avatar by the way notgoing2gobald icon_smile.gif).

I also recommend reading the following:

How many grafts are available for a hair transplant?

How many grafts will I need for a hair transplant?

Best wishes,

Bill