Am I REALLY too young?

Parsons,

If you have not started to lose your hair formally at this point, and at your age, YES, you are too young for a hair transplant.

I recommend you read this thread that I posted to address this very same question:

Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

I hope this helps,

Bill

Whats up Parsons, Bill is a very knoweldgable membero n this board and always comes up with the best advice. However, from a young kids perspective i can see how this might be affecting you. I am a Norwood 2a at 21 years old and recently had a HT with a coalition doctor. Id say if it worries you and your depressed about it seek one. But if you look ok right now. Why bother? Think down the road, if you need more ht's that could result in money that you do not have. I think I should of thought about it more before i went and got one done... Id give the rogaine about a year and see a doc about propecia. I was on propecia for about 10 months and tried rogane for a year b efore i got an ht. propecia halted my baldness...... Wow, that was a long post

I hear where both of you are coming from, expected replys like that actually. I've had it since I was little, and it's in my family, just started REALLY early for me lol

I cant use the medications or whatever, you cant grow back what you dont have...

it's really a pain to be the only one when I was in Highschool with a receding hairline...I can actually do somthing about it now, so I dont want to waste 2 more years

with a waver or whatever, is it possible to get it done?

Parsons,

Though I understand where you are coming from...did you read the thread that I posted?

No ethical surgeon would touch your head at 19 and no signs of hair loss.

You have to think long term no matter how emotional this is for you.

If 8-10 years go by and there are no signs of hair loss, you will be a much more likely candidate to get your hairline lowered through surgery.

I understand how you feel bro...I started losing my hair at 21 and it wasn't fun. I wanted a quick fix because I thought my youth was in jeopardy.

Well, I'm 30 and I care just as much now about my appearance as back then...and I've now had 3 surgeries starting at the age of 27 and feel a HECK of a lot better about myself.

But if I started getting surgeries at 21, it would have had the word "disaster" written all over it.

Bill

I'm sure there are doctors that would do it, you're over 18 the decision is yours. With that said, if you must have it done, please go with a recommended coalition doctor.

As far as reasons why you shouldn't get it done, I think the other posters already gave the reasons to you. If those reasons were not enough to talk to you out of it... Put it this way, everybody's donor hair is very very limited, and we all wish we can have more of it regardless of Norwood level we are. If you go through a HT right now, and use some of the donor area to lower your hairline, you're happy and life is good... Fast forward to say, 10 years later, and you're 29. Now you're starting to see hair loss at the crown area, and hairline is starting to recede, don't think it would be better to have that amount of hair that you used to lower your hairline now? I'll let you weigh it out yourself, would you rather have a higher hairline or a few patches or bald spots on your head? I think most of us that have to deal with thinning or bald spots, we'd trade that anyday to have a full head of hair, but with a slightly higher hairline.

Parsons,

I cant use the medications cause you cant regrow what you never had...

It is true that Propecia will not grow you a new brand new hairline; hell, it usually doesn't regrow hair that was originally there.

But if you have no signs of hairloss, then get a transplant, then later have to go on finasteride to arrest other hairloss and.... BAM! Propecia DOESN'T WORK for you, you are going to be royally F*cked! We who are on finasteride actually probably take it for granted, as some people experience side effects, or simply just do not respond to it.

I think most people think doctors recommend the Propecia for a year because they assume the doctors are suggesting that it will regrow their lost hair. I don't think this is exactly the case- I think they are trying to make sure if you can respond favorably to the medication in terms of not having adverse reactions and not losing more hair, because it is a lifelong commitment and most likely going to be incorporated with most hair transplants. Remember, medication is mostly beneficial in retaining your hair and preventing significant further loss. In reality, getting on Propecia is a much better option than planning to play catch-up with hairloss with transplants as you are suggesting. But...since you have not "lost" hair at all, Propecia isn't even an option yet.

There is however no harm in requesting online consultations with coalition doctors, as a few of them occasionally do hairline work on people as young as you are, it has been documented on this forum and on a few of their websites. I would think the minimum criteria that patients need to meet in these cases is that the person is at least on finasteride though and possible future loss patterns can be considered, which I don't think is easily assessed in a person as young as 19 with no hair loss yet. Having had my hairline restored at 24, I am normally more on the sides of the younger guys, but in this case, sorry bro, I would think you need to wait AT LEAST a couple of more years. But again, don't take our word for it- you can contact these doctors yourself. Good luck.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

parsons,

Other than the issues I mentioned in the other thread, there aren't any OTHER reasons, but the reasons I posted in that article are reason enough NOT to get it done.

Clearly you are not understanding the idea of a FINITE donor supply. You cannot just assume future operations will solve your problem in the event you lose all your hair.

Consider this...let's say you are destined to be a Norwood 6 which is pretty heavy loss (like mine was before transplants), or even worse a 7. You get a transplant now to densely pack and lower your hairline. 3 years from now you start to lose your hair. You decide to try to "stay ahead" of your hair loss and get subsequent procedures. It works for awhile, but your hair loss is getting worse and worse. You will end up with a densely packed nice looking hairline with bald spots and hair patches that will leave you looking extremely unnatural. You will have no choice but to shave your head to look somewhat normal, but now you have a linear scar going from ear to ear from surgeries in the back of your head.

BESIDES, any doctor you find TODAY to do your surgery, wouldn't be any ethical ones...so that should be another warning to you.

Of course...the above scenerio is worse case scenerio and NOT guaranteed to happen.

But I believe proceeding on the SAFE side since hair loss is UNPREDICTABLE.

But it seems pretty obvious that you are looking for at least ONE person to say "Go for it" and you really don't want to hear the reasons why it's NOT a good idea.

Like most people your age (I was there 11 short years ago), you are looking to hear what you WANT to hear, and then you will proceed.

Good luck to you.

Bill