Hair Growth Question

Generally, the hairs grow in a bit coarse and look a bit different but they smooth out over time.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Occasionally I will notice what you are talking about in a returning patient - where one or two hairs near the front hairline are extrememly kinky and can even start off at a different angle, but more commonly exit their site at the proper angle, but then take sharp turns in different directions, almost resembling part of a broken pretzel. While it is true that many men with coarse, slightly wavy/curly hair will have more general "kinkiness" of the hair in the first year and that it can "settle down" and be much less noticeable after a year, I think the really bizarre ones like I described are most likely due to trauma to the follicle during the insertion phase of the procedure by the forceps or by repeated attempts to place the graft. If they are out front and noticeable and unlikely to be improved by new grafts around them, etc, my preference is to FUE (core) them out at that subsequent session and put a very fine suture in to close the tiny hole, or to leave it alone to heal by itself if it is back behind at least a couple of hairs. The presence of one of these hairs certainly doesn't mean you have a bad hair transplant surgeon. They happen to the best ones. If they were all over the place, or accompanied by a lot of pitting also, then I would worry about the quality of your doctor's assistants and I would look for a new surgeon.

Mike Beehner, M.D.