John E. Frank, MD with MHR

None with Dr. Frank nor have I heard of him. Just curious, with all of the excellent surgeons recommended by this site, why consider him? MHR has a very checkered past. Personally, I would NEVER consider using them. Can you provide details of your loss and where you're at in the process?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

The problem with places like MHR is that they are very limited to what they can offer their patients. The reason for this is that the physician only gets a percentage from MHR, usually about 20%, and so their main objective is to do as many cases per day as possible in order to make as much money as possible. This results in very limited technology.

I would recommend asking the physician how many cases are being performed each day, are they dissecting 100% under microscopes and are they using custom-made blades for the site creation i.e. later-slit method.

In order to get a surgery that looks completely natural, it is essential to be using the latest technology, without it this just isn't feasible.

This is the beauty of independents. While not all use the best technology, they really are the only ones' that are able to offer it. Since it limits a physician to one case per day, it just isn't appealing to the larger outfits.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile

NikkiJ, you bring up some great issues when comparing independant and chain HT clinics. My personal opinion (for what it is worth) is that anyone having a HT performed by a chain is taking an unecessary risk, in addition to overpaying for many small sessions.

The same issues still persist for independant clinics, the only difference being one independent clinic cannot reach the same number of patients the chains can. The internet is a double-edged sword as well. While it allows us to monitor and critique results, it also provides a vehicle for many of these clinics to "sell" the uneducated subpar work. In time, I would like to see some type of standard of work requirement necessary to perform hairtransplantation

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.