I need help guys

Hello people.I'm new here and like many of you here we share the same problem.I started to lose hair,I had a beautifull hair and not its gone.My dad is bald so I guess that is why i'm bald also but unlike me he does not have a problem with that.So i had a surgery and had my hair transplanted.Its not great but it is ok.And cos i dont plan to make more surgeries want to ask you about Propecia.I mean what are the effects of taking it?works?is it harmfull taking propecia?Are there some negative effects to the health?How much does it cost?how long do I need to take it?I tried getting propecia in my country but i could not find so I will have to order it.So I would be very greatfull if you can guys here can give me more informations...

Thanks...

Hello people.I'm new here and like many of you here we share the same problem.I started to lose hair,I had a beautifull hair and not its gone.My dad is bald so I guess that is why i'm bald also but unlike me he does not have a problem with that.So i had a surgery and had my hair transplanted.Its not great but it is ok.And cos i dont plan to make more surgeries want to ask you about Propecia.I mean what are the effects of taking it?works?is it harmfull taking propecia?Are there some negative effects to the health?How much does it cost?how long do I need to take it?I tried getting propecia in my country but i could not find so I will have to order it.So I would be very greatfull if you can guys here can give me more informations...

Thanks...

Welcome to the group Diego.

Propecia is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor which reduces the amount of DHT in your body. It's mostly used to prevent further hair loss, but it can regrow some hair. Most of the studies I know of were done on the crown area. It has been shown that it does increase the total hair count on the crown if taken daily. Some doctors will suggest taking it every 48 hours to save money, but there is no evidence that you get the same effect. Also, from what I've read, the longer you have been bald in a certain area, the less likely that hair will grow back with Propecia.

Now the cost part. If you take it daily, it is about $60 per month. Therefore, you can expect to spend $1-2 per day to maintain the hair you have in the balding region, that is genetically destined to fall out. It has no effect on transplanted hair, but you probably know that.

buy Proscar, 1/4 the tabs and cut your monthly cost by 1/4...propecia is a rip-off...proscar very reasonable. Oh Yeah you will be on it forever, and no side affects for me!

Originally posted by Packers Fan:

Propecia is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor which reduces the amount of DHT in your body. It's mostly used to prevent further hair loss, but it can regrow some hair. Most of the studies I know of were done on the crown area. It has been shown that it does increase the total hair count on the crown if taken daily. Some doctors will suggest taking it every 48 hours to save money, but there is no evidence that you get the same effect. Also, from what I've read, the longer you have been bald in a certain area, the less likely that hair will grow back with Propecia.

Thank you very much but I'm still little confused.Well i started geting bald 2-3 years ago and you mentioned that"Also, from what I've read, the longer you have been bald in a certain area, the less likely that hair will grow back with Propecia"so is it late for me to start taking propecia?Cos i want to restore as much as i can so should i take propecia or some other shampoo or some other drug similar to propecia?I dont know much about this drugs so I'm trying to get the best drug for hair-restoration...So I want to hear other people's opinion.What was your experience with using this drug or some similar.I'm looking forward to your answers people.

Thanks...

The main purpose of Propecia is to STOP further hair loss. That should be the expectation when using it. Any regrowth that a few patients experience is an added bonus but should not be expected. So if you want to keep the hair you have, you should start on it now. You will have to continue it forever.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by diego:
Originally posted by Packers Fan:

Thank you very much but I'm still little confused.Well i started geting bald 2-3 years ago and you mentioned that"Also, from what I've read, the longer you have been bald in a certain area, the less likely that hair will grow back with Propecia"so is it late for me to start taking propecia?Cos i want to restore as much as i can so should i take propecia or some other shampoo or some other drug similar to propecia?I dont know much about this drugs so I'm trying to get the best drug for hair-restoration...So I want to hear other people's opinion.What was your experience with using this drug or some similar.I'm looking forward to your answers people.

Thanks...

It is possible that regrowth will occur from those dormant follicles with Propecia (Finasteride) but really shouldn't be expected. Take Propecia to stave off future loss. You can utilize minoxidil (Rogaine) as a growth stimulator. Like Finasteride, however, minoxidil must be used for an indefinite period of time once started or you will lose all benefit.

Think of Propecia as the mechanism that staves off future loss and minoxidil as the mechanism that jump-starts new growth. They both work very differently but together can bring very good results after a few months or a year's worth of use.

Take it from someone who saw first-hand the shocking setback of stopping Minoxidil once starting: it is not fun. It can be a hassle, but for me it was worth it. For many, it isn't. Try it for one month to see how you like it. This amount of time will let you guage how much of an inconveniance it is for you and is short enough to not see any benefit that would later dissipate if use is discontinued.

I use the Wal-Mart (Equate) brand. If bought in single bottles, it is about $12 a month. It is around $30 for a three-month supply.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Diego-

I'm like Robert , I started minoxidil when I first started noticing hair loss(9 years ago). I used for four months. I felt it wasn't working and stopped! The resulting hair loss was so intense I panicked!! I moved to the Philippines about a year after my hair loss was noticable. I tried every "snake oil" in Asia!! I moved back to the US three years after that and started taking Proscar. I took it for six months (no side effects) but didn't see my hair growing back so I stopped. AGAIN I saw a lot/accelerated of loss!! My problem is I didn't understand what the products were really doing and what the benefits could be. Propecia/Proscar/FINASTERIDE- should stop your hair loss within the first 18months of taking it. Minoxidil/Rogaine can help the hair follicles that are still healthy to grow and act as a blocker for DHT in other follicles. That is what they are supposed to do. I have not had any bad side effects since I started using these products again. I FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!! Their benefit is going to be noticable after a year, but once you start taking them -YOU MUST CONTINUE!! I saw acceleration in my hair loss when I didn't follow the directions and stopped using the products. Minoxidil & Finasteride are the only two products that are APPROVED by the US FDA, they have been tested and evaluated to produce the good effects that you hear about. The one and only draw back- you must use them for the rest of your life! Any hairs they have benefited plus the hairs that were doomed to fall out anyway, will look like your hair is falling faster if you do not follow the directions and don't continue using them. If you have side effects, talk to your doctor about them. I know that sounds intense, but consider the money it costs for you hair transplant and all the different products that you might be considering now, Minoxidil&Finasteride are proven to do what they say. My bad experiences were my lack of understanding and impatience. Hair loss itself takes quite some time to notice!! I noticed a thin spot 9years ago on my crown. One year after that I had a two inch bald spot and my hair line was receeding!! I did not follow the directions for Rogaine and stopped using it after only four months. My point is this - you can use these two products because they are intended to stop your hair loss where it is. Continue using them as directed and they will benefit the healthy hair and cut back on your DHT, that means they will AT LEAST slow down your hair loss. Some people have noticed regrowth from these products, it can happen. I wouldn't be focused on that aspect, just concentrate on stopping DHT NOW!!. As for the propecia, ask your doctor or pharmacy if they can get FINASTERIDE. it is the clinical name of Propceia/Proscar. BE PATIENT!!!

Shiny Side Up!!

How likely do you think it could be that hair follicles develop a dependency on Minoxidil and Propecia and when men see a sudden loss of hair when they stop using those products MIGHT not have experienced that loss if they had never begun using the products?

Maybe the loss that occurs is not because it would have happened any way but because the hair was " juiced up " by the introduction of those products, develops a dependency on them and then whithers away when they are removed.

I don't know, I'm just thinkingaboutit.

thinking,

Remember, minoxidil does nothing for/against DHT. It is, basically, a growth stimulator. Therefore, it is theoretically possible for some of the hair to develop a sort of dependancy to the medication, but that is not to say that the drug will cause it to fall out. I believe that any loss that results of discontinuing the medication would be about the same as if the person had never started the medication, maybe a bit more.

I highly recommend that someone try minoxidil every day, twice a day for at least 2 or 3 weeks before making their final decision to use it. That 2 or 3 weeks won't be long enough to force your follicles to become dependant but it is long enough to be able to tell if you are sensitive to the medication and if your schedule can accomodate its' application.

It is just another part of my daily ritual now; kind of like brushinng my teeth.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thinking & Rob -

let me clarify my rambling from earlier. I first used Minoxidil for only four months. about three weeks after I stopped, I noticed a more signifigant amount of hair loss. I have discussed this with four doctors, each of them believe the natural hair loss and the positive effect of Minoxidil made it look more intense than it might have been with out ever taking it. I mean to say the minoxidil will stimulate growth adn if you stop using it the hair that benefited from it will fall out, read the statements in the instructions. I didn't mean to say it sped my hair loss, although that's what came out. If you do use either of the products read the statements on the products instructions, they do say: "you will likely loose the hair you have gained within 12 months of stopping treatment". This staetment would lead us to believe the hair gain is dependent on the products.

Diego -

I would say go for the two products, many people benefit from them. The FINASTERIDE is meant to slow and or stop further hair loss by blocking DHT. Minoxidil is meant to help stimulate hair folicles to grow. You already had the transplant, keep the healthy with minoxidil and finasteride.

Shiny Side Up!!

I have used Minoxidil (rogaine), I strongly oppose using it. It was a nightmare for me. I started using when I saw lot of thinning in my crown, and it worked wonders for me. I got my crown filled in just few months. I used it for 2 years, but then I got really sick of using it becuase I started a fulltime job and I hated using it going to work (also try using it during winter time!!! Wet hair in freezing cold will give you headaches). So slowly(first reduced it once a day, then stopped completely) I stopped using it. Within in just 2-3 months, I suffered so much hair loss that my crown ended up looking worse than what I had started with. Don't use rogaine... Just my opinion..

KG