Saw Palmetto

Reduce levels, some will say "Yes" and some "No". This usually reminds me of the question; which came first, the chicken or the egg? I don't believe there are any solid clinical studies that support the use of saw palmetto for hair loss. It is used and marketed in some commercially sold "hair loss" products. I did take it at one time but opted for the proven pill, Propecia.

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

Like Laughter's Medicine stated, there are no controlled studies that I am aware of that evaluate saw palmetto for hair loss purposes. There are, however, studies that have been done evaluating saw palmetto for an enlarged prostate. It seems to help for an enlarged prostate, but I don't believe anyone knows why. Your best bet for slowing down or even halting your hair loss is Propecia.

Actually there was a recently published study that looked at Saw Palmetto vs. placebo for treatment of prostatic enlargement. Saw Palmetto it turns out was no more effective than placebo.

So it does NOT work for enlarged prostate. Not aware of any study of its effects on hair loss.