50 cm2 / Numbers

Guest sac95816

Guest sac95816

Is 1200 to 1500 grafts sufficient to cover an area of 50cm2 with very few pre-existing hairs growing on it?

I'm scheduled for HT on Friday and I plan to have 1200 - 1500 grafts placed into my hairline and top third behind the hairline (I'm actually not trying to cover the entire top third, but only a portion of it). I belive 1200 grafts would result in approximately 24 grafts per sq cm while 1500 grafts would result in approximately 30 grafts per sq cm.

I hope to achieve an illusion of fullness but wouldn't be disappointed with a thinning look so long as I don't look like a cancer patient (I know that sounds bad, non-pc, but it gets the point across).

Thoughts?

SAC

Guest sac95816

Is 1200 to 1500 grafts sufficient to cover an area of 50cm2 with very few pre-existing hairs growing on it?

I'm scheduled for HT on Friday and I plan to have 1200 - 1500 grafts placed into my hairline and top third behind the hairline (I'm actually not trying to cover the entire top third, but only a portion of it). I belive 1200 grafts would result in approximately 24 grafts per sq cm while 1500 grafts would result in approximately 30 grafts per sq cm.

I hope to achieve an illusion of fullness but wouldn't be disappointed with a thinning look so long as I don't look like a cancer patient (I know that sounds bad, non-pc, but it gets the point across).

Thoughts?

SAC

That's not gonna do you any good. 25-30 grafts/cm2 will give you very thin see-thru look. Your 'very few' pre-existing hair will most likely fall from shockloss, or if they don't fall, they will not made any impact to your look after the new grafts start growing. I had about same area ~ 1500 grafts roughly about 25 grafts/cm2, and I was not too happy with the results (the area I am talking about is crown where lot of 3s and 4s were used). In your case, in the frontal 1/3 doc will use mostly 1s and 2s. If you don't get atleast 40-45 grafts/cm2, I think you will not be happy because with 25-30 grafts/cm2 you will be going from bald look to comb over look.

KG

Originally posted by kg007:

That's not gonna do you any good. 25-30 grafts/cm2 will give you very thin see-thru look. Your 'very few' pre-existing hair will most likely fall from shockloss, or if they don't fall, they will not made any impact to your look after the new grafts start growing. I had about same area ~ 1500 grafts roughly about 25 grafts/cm2, and I was not too happy with the results (the area I am talking about is crown where lot of 3s and 4s were used). In your case, in the frontal 1/3 doc will use mostly 1s and 2s. If you don't get atleast 40-45 grafts/cm2, I think you will not be happy because with 25-30 grafts/cm2 you will be going from bald look to comb over look.

KG

i agree with kg here. typical guy without hairloss has 75-80 cm2. 35 would be less than 50% so just imagine the outcome.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Hi Sac,

I also replied to you at the other site. I had 1938 grafts / 4395 hairs, planted in the front 1/2 of my head last year Dec. KG and BC are spot on. You will be disappointed if you only have 1500. I have thick course hair and now wish I had 3000+. The past year was not easy and that is not due to any physical pain, rather the emotional rollercoaster. Get it done in as few procedures as possible (assuming strip). I also agree with KG that you will likely take a significant loss (permanant) of a reasonable amount of hair in the recipient area. This hair would of left you anyhow, the procedure will only accelerate (like immediately) the process. Take a loan or something, don't get a small session.

Best of luck,

HH

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by sac95816:

SAC

With all due respect, I think you are about to commit a mistake.

Better save the money and go for a denser ht somewhere down the line.

This will not look good.

If you want a litmus test, there is one.

Choose a sq cm in you donor area.

Thin out the hair so that only 30 FU are left per sq cm.

You will know, with one look, what you are going to end up with. And that is if a 100% grafts grow.

Do not forget that 15% of the transplanted hair will be in telogen even at full yeild.

So, go ahead and do yourself this favor.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

I havent seen your pictures, so I don't know how bad your hairloss is. But if you're someone who has very limited thinning (frontal 1/3 - 50 cm2), then I say you should go all out. Get as much as 50 graft/cm2... You'll be very happy man 6 months later... In my opinion for 50 cm2 area, you need roughly about 2200-2500 grafts. anything less than 45 grafts/cm2 will be pointless (only exception is if you were norwood 6-7). If you can't afford a bigger session, then I say u wait until you can afford it. But if you go ahead with 25-35 grafts/cm2 to save some money, you'll be kicking yourself 6 months later. Also, don't try to add more grafts by minimizing your bald spot. Try to cover as much bald spot as possible (with thinning surrouding included), or your head might end up looking like island with dense area in the middle and thin surrouding.

KG