23 and balding

Hi, I am 23 years old and I am now experiencing hair loss. I have a question that I hope you guys can help me figure out. I cut my hair 'military style' to help reduce the noticeable (to me at least) hair loss. Suprisingly, my hair grew back and I no longer had to use 'Toppik'. Now that I let it grow again, I am once more experiencing hair loss. Why oh why is this happening? Why does my hair grow back when I cut it very short? Has anyone had a similar experience? I look forward to your input. Thank you in advance.

Hi, I am 23 years old and I am now experiencing hair loss. I have a question that I hope you guys can help me figure out. I cut my hair 'military style' to help reduce the noticeable (to me at least) hair loss. Suprisingly, my hair grew back and I no longer had to use 'Toppik'. Now that I let it grow again, I am once more experiencing hair loss. Why oh why is this happening? Why does my hair grow back when I cut it very short? Has anyone had a similar experience? I look forward to your input. Thank you in advance.

No.........I don't understand why you would be experiencing this. Are you sure you're not just thinking the hair's thicker when it's short because it's bristly, or is it really starting to fall out as it grows icon_confused.gif?

You may want to consult with a dermatologist to see if what you are experiencing is loss due to Male-Pattern-Baldness or possibly some skin condition.

Do you take Finasteride or use Minoxidil?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'd see a derm ASAP and start doing research on the benefits of Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil (Rogaine). At your age, maybe they can help you keep what you have indefinitely.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi

Could be the hair cyling through faster as the hair is thinning. Also, have you ever thought maybe it's the illusion hair gets when it is longer or shorter. Shorter hair can look thicker and longer hair can hide thinning depending on hairsyle?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

cali,

What everyone said above is good advice. It could very well be an illusion...your hair may look thicker at certain styles. It is also possible for people to go through shedding phases during various times of the year (hence the hair growing back). Check with a dermatologist to be sure. If it ends up being MPB, consider getting on finasteride ASAP to try to prevent future loss.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

What you experienced is only natural.

When you start loosing your hair, the hairs become weaker and tend not to grow as long.

If you cut your hair short, you will see no big difference between the minituarizing hairs and the hairs that are healthy.

As a result, when you grow your hair long, only the healthy hairs grow out, hiding the shorter thinner hairs, making it appear as if you have less hair. (Which you do - sort of)

Thats why I keep my hair at about 1cm length usually.

Propecia may help your minituarizing hairs grow stronger - at least for a few years.

Thank you all for you time and advice. I made an appointment with Dr. Kabaker in Oakland to see him in June. I will ask for a prescription for Propecia. Once again, thanks for the advice. Good deal.

cali84,

I can't say anything one way or another about Dr. Kabaker since I never heard of him...but more importantly have YOU heard of him. Are you considering a transplant or just want to get finasteride?

IF you are considering a transplant, I caution you to do the necessary research ahead of time, not just on physicians/clinics, but also as to whether or not you are a good candidate for an HT. I can already tell you that your age is potentially an issue, and especially younger patients with minimal loss are not good candidates.

That being said...do NOT let any doctor/clinic pressure you about getting a procedure done. There are some doctors out there that just want to take your money regardless of whether or not it's in your best interest.

Bill

Cali84, You are one lucky guy. Here you are getting unbiased, truthful advice from complete strangers. The fact that you are asking for advice from these strangers who are completely objective is a blessing. I know how difficult it is at your age with your whole life still ahead of you to be experiencing the start of your journey into being Bald. I was just like you a few years back except that I was not smart enough to go online and ask for advice from complete strangers whose motives I wouldn't have a clue about. But Let me be the one to reassure you that some the ones that have already responed to your post are just fantastic people who as you can tell from the thousands of posts to their credit are here to help guys like you and I. I want you to know that if you ever decide to get a hair transplant check with these guys first for their recommendations. They have been throught it and are in no way going to stir you wrong. I hope that I was a little helpful although I know that I can't come close to Bill's advice who is a Celestial Follicle Club Member. I have posted a photo of my HT results which looks great, doesn't it?

Photo_1.jpg.b69b665abbfd6c92abf5b96263d2b8f9.jpg

Scarred,

The fact that you are a "victim" of a bad hair transplant does not mean you are not smart. Unfortunately, many people have made decisions based on their trust of these not-so reputable companies. It's a sad thing really...which is why one of the major goals of this community is to EDUCATE people who are seeking.

You were certainly a victim, but now you are wiser. Welcome again to our community.

Bill

Scarred, thank you for sharing your experience with me. It is unfortunate, but like Bill said, you are now definitely wiser. I wish you luck and I look forward to hearing your future posts and advice.

Bill right on for your advice, I found Dr. Kabaker from this website and I set that appointment to see if I am elegible for a hair transplant in the future, because even if I wanted to do it now, I cannot afford it. However, I will keep on looking for more options and 'interview' more than one physician when deciding to get it done. My main goal is to get a prescription for Propecia. I read about it and I am interested to begin to use it. For those of you that do use it, have you experienced positive results from it? How about the sexual side effects that are mentioned? Also, how much does it cost?

Thanks for everyone for their input, I am glad and grateful for this forum.

Cali

Hi Cali

Wow, Scarred you sounded very profound in your mail. Nice to hear some good things from you and we are grateful as you have paved the way for networks like this.. Cali, the side affects in my opinion are a bit overratted. Yes, there are a small percentage of people who do have them but again it's very low. This does not mean you shouldn't be observant when taking precriptions

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Its funny, I actually find the sexual side effects a partly positive thing.

The way it effects me is that I am less interested in sex. This is good cause this makes me less desparate and I get laid a lot more.

(Catch 22?)