TIME FOR GROWTH

tkerr22

I had my second transplant done on March 7th and am just hitting the three month period. I haven't noticed much new growth yet and was wondering if it might take longer to grow in after the second surgery? After my first I started to see some growth by around this time. I see a few hairs growing but am not sure if they are regrowing hairs from shock to my previous transplanted hairs or new hairs, or both. I do have some red spots and pimples popping up. So basically am i being too worried too soon on the growth? Is the waiting time longer after the first surgery in later surgeries? And third, I noticed some shock after the second surgery that resulted in previous transplanted hairs falling out. I was wondering how long those hairs take to grow back in as well?

I had my second transplant done on March 7th and am just hitting the three month period. I haven't noticed much new growth yet and was wondering if it might take longer to grow in after the second surgery? After my first I started to see some growth by around this time. I see a few hairs growing but am not sure if they are regrowing hairs from shock to my previous transplanted hairs or new hairs, or both. I do have some red spots and pimples popping up. So basically am i being too worried too soon on the growth? Is the waiting time longer after the first surgery in later surgeries? And third, I noticed some shock after the second surgery that resulted in previous transplanted hairs falling out. I was wondering how long those hairs take to grow back in as well?

It can take from 3 to 12 months for them all to start growing. I read comments from many HT veterans that it may take longer after the first surgery. I'm getting my second on July 3.

Once those pimples or little postulates start up you can bet the growth is about to start! It is a good indicator that something is starting to happen under the skin...so be patient and think positive! Good growth! Jebster icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Yea, teh waiting part is hard. My first set of transplants were starting to look pretty good> I had them done 7 months prior to my second procedure. It kind of hurt when I had my second done and saw quite a few of my previous transplanted hairs fall out due to shock. My hair right now is looking as it did just before my second procedure, but it was kind of hard to take a step back again for 3 months after getting the second procedure done. but it's been just over three months and I've had a couple of those pimples pop up but still haven't seen much growth yet. I know I'm prematurely getting nervous but there is so much anticipation that it is ahrd not to. I just wish those suckers would start popping up at an amazing rate!

Having had 3 procedures done myself I've learned that time and patience are a must. Like there is any choice in the matter anyways!

Usually around months 3-4 new growth of transplanted and "shocked" hair make its way back. I've also experienced that the donor scars begin to diminish in size at this point as well.

Hang in there. It always gets better with time. 3 procedures and a little time and I have been very happy with my results.

Second transplant results are always more difficult to appreciate because they exist among other hair. To show a difference requires double the hair present which may be difficult to do and may not even be the goal of the second session. First session results are much easier to appreciate, because they are usually done where ther is little or no hair. Second sessions are usually done to increase the density or move to new areas. When hair counts have been done, there is no evidence of lesser survival on second transplants. But I would agree with everyone that it is much harder to visually appreciate the improvement because of the need to double hair density to visually aprreciate the improvement. Wait until 12 months after the procedure, take photos, then compare them to the photos before the second procedure.

Additionally, the pre-existent hair shed will grow back at the same rate as the grafts starting about 3 months after the procedure. icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer

Dr. Limmer

Your a class act Dr. who takes time to answer questions that a lot of us have. Much appreciated considering how busy all of you must be.

Thanks again.

Thanks also to Dr. Beehner, Dr. Parsley, Dr. Rose, Dr. Charles, etc.