Considering Hair Transplant

Here are my photos. I'm 45. My hair grows pretty densely on the sides, but it looks ridiculous with the thinning crown, so I keep it quite short. I've used Propecia and Minoxidil. You can see how well that worked.

I will be in Asia much of the summer and can go to India, Thailand, etc.

Any recommendations?

FYI, I probably can't afford to go with FUE.

Top view

DSCF0198.jpg.dcae9d251577c1bdb92307daedc196f9.jpg

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Here are my photos. I'm 45. My hair grows pretty densely on the sides, but it looks ridiculous with the thinning crown, so I keep it quite short. I've used Propecia and Minoxidil. You can see how well that worked.

I will be in Asia much of the summer and can go to India, Thailand, etc.

Any recommendations?

FYI, I probably can't afford to go with FUE.

Top view

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Back view

DSCF0005.jpg.58dfa43e5c0b812211ae3d33e90316a7.jpg

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Front view

DSCF0006.jpg.47cea274b187fd0657eecc3d6f6b57a4.jpg

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Side view

DSCF0200.jpg.6ea0ffeb316abd066e3dceae9e6c89a5.jpg

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi TomA,

Glad to hear you're using Propecia and Minox. At your age and stage of loss you're ripe for a true megasession of as many as the "right Doc" can safely harvest. Normally I'd tell you to consult with several of the Coalition Surgeons and select the one you're most comfortable with. In your case, I'd tell you to consult with Dr. Hasson at Hasson/Wong as he's consistently harvested more than most with as many as 7700+ with a poster by the name of London Lad here.

Of course, what can be accomplished completely depends on the supply of your donor hair and the laxity of your scalp with a consultant or Doc can better help you determine. If you want anything close to the appearance of full coverage over your entire scalp, I believe you'll be talking about the 7000-8000 graft range. The sides seem to go a little higher than some so this may play in your favor.

Your donor hair looks pretty good but there was one spot on the back (lower part) that was a little thin which looked as if some miniturization from MPB was going on...........I'm not sure. At any rate, after consulting you should have a good idea of what is possible.

Opinions will vary but with the number of grafts you need I'd recommend STRIP versus FUE. More can be harvested in one session and that many FUE's, IMO, would leave you with a fairly sparse donor area where STRIP would leave you with a small, thin scar that hair grown out over 3/4" should cover no problem.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

TomA,

Welcome to our community. Hairbank gave you some excellent advice. Certainly there are many doctors that can do megasessions and do it well...but it is true that Dr. Hasson has hit record highs in terms of number of grafts per session.

As Hairbank said...be aware that just because some patients have been able to achieve such high numbers, doesn't mean that your donor laxity and density will allow for it.

Dr. Hasson is surely one of the best...but to remain consistent, I always advise seeking patients to consult with at least 3 doctors for comparison purposes.

Please keep us posted.

Bill

Thank you for your reply!

Originally posted by hairbank:

Glad to hear you're using Propecia and Minox.

WAS. I don't use Propecia anymore because it didn't really work for me. I still use Minox 5%, but I don't really think it works either. Really, it doesn't seem like I will lose much more hair either way. My dad looks about like me VERY thin, but not completely shiny on top and he's 70. He's never used anything.

At your age and stage of loss you're ripe for a true megasession of as many as the "right Doc" can safely harvest. Normally I'd tell you to consult with several of the Coalition Surgeons and select the one you're most comfortable with. In your case, I'd tell you to consult with Dr. Hasson at Hasson/Wong as he's consistently harvested more than most with as many as 7700+ with a poster by the name of London Lad here.

I will contact him for a quote, just to see what happens. However, honestly, my guess it that it will be FAR more than I can spend. My two oldest kids are both in college. For example, there's no way on this planet that I can spend $10k.

I've also posted here and this may be my only real option:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...861/m/1601050312/p/6

Of course, what can be accomplished completely depends on the supply of your donor hair and the laxity of your scalp with a consultant or Doc can better help you determine. If you want anything close to the appearance of full coverage over your entire scalp, I believe you'll be talking about the 7000-8000 graft range.

At least for now, I don't mind it being a bit thin--just not this thin. I'd like it to look better from a horizontal view, but I don't mind (for now) if it is thin when viewed from the top. The main issue is that it needs to be invisible when I wear my hair short--which I prefer. I don't want to wear it much longer than what you see in the photo. Maybe 1/2" min to 7/8" max.

The sides seem to go a little higher than some so this may play in your favor.

Thanks for that. I was thinking that just this AM, but I chalked it up to vanity. When I look at the hair loss drawings, I could never figure out which one I was...

Your donor hair looks pretty good but there was one spot on the back (lower part) that was a little thin which looked as if some miniturization from MPB was going on...........I'm not sure.

I'm not sure. It might be the camera. I can't notice much difference in thickness between the back and sides when it is grown out.

Opinions will vary but with the number of grafts you need I'd recommend STRIP versus FUE.

Plus it's cheaper!

More can be harvested in one session and that many FUE's, IMO, would leave you with a fairly sparse donor area where STRIP would leave you with a small, thin scar that hair grown out over 3/4" should cover no problem.

Would it HAVE to be 3/4"? I'd like the possibility of wearing it shorter...

Hope this helps.

Yes, very much, thank you again! I like the idea of getting that extra quote, even if I don't end up there just so that I know if other quotes are accurate.

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by Bill:

Certainly there are many doctors that can do megasessions and do it well...but it is true that Dr. Hasson has hit record highs in terms of number of grafts per session.

Dr. Hasson is surely one of the best...

Bill

I will contact him for a quote, but I seriously doubt that I can afford a session that large even in India, let alone here in the states.

But just because I can't afford a Ferarri, doesn't mean that I won't keep looking for a late model Miata in good condition...

I honestly appreciate each reply!

Thanks

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Glad to be of help, TomA. Every time I see your name I think of the old TV show "Toma"..........don't know if you remember it??

Anyway..........you're really approaching this sensibly. And yes, HT's are VERY expensive. I've had 5000 grafts and it cost me $15,100............my two daughters are heading to college in about 5 & 6 years so maybe I can use the time to financially prepare icon_confused.gif?

Length of hair to cover the scar varies depending on how well you heal along with your hair characteristics. Your hair characteristics are not too dissimilar from my own though my donor may be just a tad more dense than yours. With trichophytic donor closure the hair grows through the scar which helps. However, to go to 1/2"......I'm not sure and wouldn't guarantee you could. I recently clipped to 3/4" and no way can you see the scar, but there is a slight "cowlick" in places along the donor line.......not a consistent horseshoe shape, mind you. If you look at my most recent pics taken in Feb of this year, the sides and back where the scar is are at 3/4".

You may want to reconsider on propecia. Even though you're like I was (around 40 or so), and your loss pattern is very established, your hair will likely keep receding down the sides and back............Propecia can help stop this............just something to think about.

Get some quotes but I'd guess if you want "thin" coverage all over maybe you can get away with 4000 grafts but I'm not sure i'd try covering the whole area with any less than that. However, I don't think you can get 4000 grafts in the U.S. for under $10,000 even if you're willing to take a cancelled appointment. The best pricing I've seen in the U.S. is from Dr. Feller who charges $9,750 for 3000-3499 grafts and $13,000 for 4000+ grafts.

Good luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

TomA for god's sake don't do it. Save your money for yourself and family. What these quacks don't show you is the scaring in the donor site which is permanent and there is nothing that can be done to fix it. Look at the photo of my scar which I have been told is not too BAD. Yeah, not too bad when it's not on their head. Again don't do it.

Photo_1.jpg.933e7966df0e8523726b40777d3a587f.jpg

I sent my photos to Dr. Hasson's office as you suggested...

Glad to be of help, TomA. Every time I see your name I think of the old TV show "Toma"..........don't know if you remember it??

LOL, no I don't!

If you look at my most recent pics taken in Feb of this year, the sides and back where the scar is are at 3/4".

It looks really good. About half that good would be OK with me. Even your first week post op looks fine. Maybe its just the pictures, but the line on the back just looks like a "scalp feature" even at that stage. It doesn't look like a surgery scar to me.

You may want to reconsider on propecia. Even though you're like I was (around 40 or so), and your loss pattern is very established, your hair will likely keep receding down the sides and back............Propecia can help stop this............just something to think about.

Ok, but I haven't lost much in a long time, as far as I can tell. Does anyone just stop losing it? If not, then why is the donor region considered safe to transplant at all?

Get some quotes but I'd guess if you want "thin" coverage all over maybe you can get away with 4000 grafts but I'm not sure i'd try covering the whole area with any less than that. However, I don't think you can get 4000 grafts in the U.S. for under $10,000 even if you're willing to take a cancelled appointment. The best pricing I've seen in the U.S. is from Dr. Feller who charges $9,750 for 3000-3499 grafts and $13,000 for 4000+ grafts.

Yep, exactly. Which is why I'm thinking about the guy in India. 4000 for about $4500. Everyone complains about his marketing practices, but I haven't seen a single complaint about bad hair. Wasn't there also someone that was even more highly recommended in Thailand?

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Ok, but I haven't lost much in a long time, as far as I can tell. Does anyone just stop losing it? If not, then why is the donor region considered safe to transplant at all?

Yes, everyone comes to a point where they stop losing hair. Not everyone is destined for a Norwood 7. Some stop much sooner than that. The problem is...hairloss is unpredictable. Just because your hair loss has stopped for now, doesn't mean that it is definitely finished....though it might be. It's up to you as to whether you want to gamble with your hair. What I can tell you is...once you lose it, it's much harder to get it back than to keep it with medication. But, if you do start the medication and you keep your hair...then you will never really know whether or not the medication helped you keep it or you weren't destined to lose anymore.

Bill

Originally posted by Scarred4Life:

TomA for god's sake don't do it. Save your money for yourself and family. What these quacks don't show you is the scaring in the donor site which is permanent and there is nothing that can be done to fix it. Look at the photo of my scar which I have been told is not too BAD. Yeah, not too bad when it's not on their head. Again don't do it.

Your warning is well-taken.

However, I must say--and maybe it is just the photo--it really isn't THAT bad. Your hair is VERY short. Heck, if they had just put a little hair in that scar line...

Can I ask a couple questions?

1. Who did yours and what did he/she tell you about scarring?

2. Is there any reason you don't wear your hair just a bit longer?

3. Did they try to add any hair to the scarred area?

4. Where did they put the donor hair? It doesn't seem like any was added to the back. Is this an early post-op picture?

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi TomA,

I understand that going to a coalition doctor is not an option for everyone due to financial reasons and other priorities in life. I will be getting my HT with Dr. Cooley in NC. But Since you will be in Thailand, I suggest you consider Dr. Pathomvanich (Dr. Path for short) who practice out of Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand

Here is why Dr. Path is a good choice:

1). The highly-respected, coalition doctor, Dr. Wong of H&W in Vancouver highly praises the work of Dr. Path. See link below.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=32&threadid=54696

2). Here is a patient of Dr. Path who have documented his HT and expressed satisfaction of Dr. Path's work. See link below.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/surf231/

3). Dr. Path has good credentials. He is Board certified in Hair Restoration Surgery in the USA. See link below.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailand-hospital/plasticsurg...ur3543844408&procid=

4). Here is an article from the International Herald Tribune (NY Times) describing the excellent facilities and service offered at Bumrungrad Hospital where Dr. Path practices. See link below.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/07/27/news/hospital.php

5). The cost for an HT in Thailand with Dr. Path is at least half the price compared to the USA. ($1 = 40 Thai Baht). See link below.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailand-hospital/plasticsurg...asp?id=mqq0355320821

Hope this helps.

rp1979: Frankly, if I looked like he did BEFORE he went in, I think I'd be pretty happy! Anyway, thanks for the info on Dr. Path!

ALL: How long does it take--after the surgery--for you to look like you did before the surgery? (I'm not asking how long it takes for the hair to come it--that's 10-12 months, I know that.

In other words, if someone looks closely (say 18 inch distance) how long does it take before it doesn't look like you had surgery at all?

I'd like to get a few opinions on this.

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

FYI, this is what the sides look like if I let them grow out. This picture is about 16 months old. Like I said, it gets pretty thick on the sides. In the above (current) pictures, my hair is cut to 3/8 inch.

I'm actually not sure how good this is. Yes, there is a lot of donor hair. But, if I have some moved up top, it would take quite a lot to make it match the sides. And with the scar, I don't think I could keep it this short anymore.

longersides.jpg.affbba88aa908619e2519d02f581ac35.jpg

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Since hair transplantation is very much an issue of supply and demand, patients with limited and stable loss tend to be the best candidates. Young patients with limited loss are not the best surgical candidates, simply because it is difficult to see how far baldness will progress for 20-something patients. In your case, there is not a lot of mystery about where you loss can go. So, while your pattern is advanced, it is well-defined and can be planned for without having to heavily speculate.

In some ways this may go against conventional wisdom, but I feel you may be a good candidate. While you will never get a full head of hair, you will certainly be able to improve coverage and density.

I did say that you "may" be a good candidate for a reason though. Perhaps it is the lighting of some the photos, but your donor hair are looks a little weak. I know you indicated that you donor is dense, but how would you characterize the actually quality of the shaft? It your hair on the fine side? Is it straight or curly when you grow it out a bit more?

Lighting can be tough, since you donor resources look just fine in other photos.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

By the way, you might want to check out some medical therapy, even though your loss seems stable. You still have the potential to lose more hair near the lateral humps and the crown area.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Young patients with limited loss are not the best surgical candidates, simply because it is difficult to see how far baldness will progress for 20-something patients. In

Amen!

TomA,

Obviously, this is not the case for you...and I can only echo what "thehairlosscure" stated already. If you are indeed a good candidate (determined by a doctor), you could benefit from a megasession since your hairloss pattern is already well established. I would personally focus on the front first to re-create a mature and natural looking hairline and then work back gradually decreasing density as you fade off into the crown area. It is best, however, to consult with a doctor to determine if you are indeed a good candidate.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill

Originally posted by TheHairLossCure:

In your case, there is not a lot of mystery about where you loss can go.

Yeah, LOL!

I did say that you "may" be a good candidate for a reason though. Perhaps it is the lighting of some the photos, but your donor hair are looks a little weak. I know you indicated that you donor is dense, but how would you characterize the actually quality of the shaft? It your hair on the fine side? Is it straight or curly when you grow it out a bit more?

Lighting can be tough, since you donor resources look just fine in other photos.

Yeah my hair is very fine, but it is also cut very short (about 3/8 inch in the first photos). I do that because otherwise I end up with that horrible "tuft" look where the thick hair becomes instantly thin at a certain spot on the crown.

In terms of quality of the shaft--I don't know. The top (what's left of it) is not great, but I think the sides are as good as ever.

If you look at the very last photo I posted, about 2-3 posts above this one, you can see a year-old photo that indicates how thick the sides get if I don't cut it short.

I posted another one here...

BadHair.jpg.00274b93c118d4a17d69717d1ea102c2.jpg

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

TomA, I had my HT done 6 years ago. I got it done in Seattle by Dr. Mangubat. 2650 grafts total over 2 sessions. First session 1350 and one year later 1300 grafts. He said that there will be some scarring but it won't be noticable. Maybe he meant to blinds it won't be noticable. This is the first time since I had it done that I cut my hair this short. I actualy shaved my head 3 weeks ago. I look much better with my head shaved than with the porcupine look of the transplants in front which I hate. I thought I won't care if people see the scar but after a couple of weeks I couldn't stand the stares no more and started to grow my hair back. I only wish that some one had warned me back then and saved me from this disfiguring procedure. Doctors take an oath that first "They will do no harm". This is exactly what these quacks do, harm people. The one silver lining from all this trauma is that I managed to get back every penny back that I paid this guy. He didn't give me a refund out of the goodness of his heart since he knew that if I took him to court and a jury saw the scaring and the crapy transplants on top that it would cost him a whole hell of lot more.

Scarred: I am very sorry to hear about your problems with Dr. Mangubat. I'll bet that they might be reparable, though. You should really consider looking into it!

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

Well, I called Dr. Path's office to see if they received my photos and they did.

He has a male assistant there now--he's not pictured on the Web site.

The only problem is that he thought that they might not have any openings until August--and I will only be in SE Asia until about July 17-20. Oh, well, I'll hope for the best!

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

I have consulted with two board certified head and neck plastic surgeons who have told me there is nothing that can be done to fix the scar. I would like to see photos of such repairs. So far I haven't been able to find any either on this site or anywhere else, have you seen any?

Photo_1.jpg.0a7f21e0a84849890a9219c35c3e06f2.jpg