My Long term hair transplant experience

oswaldwasbald

I first started investigating hair-transplant options way back in the 1960s when I was a Norwood 4 and had already exhausted trichologists, scam clinics and all sorts of quack remedies.

At that time there was a very limited number of doctors performing hair-transplant surgery in the U.K., which was where I resided. I had a large number of 4mm plugs in sessions of 20 at a time. It worked pretty well because they were interspersed amongst my existing hair but over the ensuing years, as the balding process continued, the tell-tale toothbrush effect became apparent and this caused me a great deal of distress.

By 1991 I had had enough of people's eyes moving up to my scalp when engaged in conversation with me and I decided to explore more surgery to try to conceal the pluggy look. At that time I was in Toronto and interviewed a number of doctors who had perfected micro and minigrafting. I decided that Dr. David Seager offered me my very best chances and received a total of 554 minigrafts and 335 micrografts. The procedure was carried out with a minimum of discomfort and I was very pleased with the results. Finally, I had lost that awful pluggy look and people never again moved their eyes up to my hairline. It was a great relief.

Unfortunately over the next 10 years I pretty well lost all my remaining original hair and was now effectively a Norwood 7 and had developed.

I saw an advertisement for the Seager Hair Transplant Centre and was immediately encouraged by the enormous strides that had been made with all follicular unit micrograft megasessions. By now a seasoned hair transplant veteran, I sought another consultation with Dr. Seager and the more I researched the more enthusiastic I became to try out the new technology to fill in the temples, improve the density of some areas and to soften my hairline.

Now faced with a very limited amount of donor hair availability Dr. Seager suggested out of the approximate 2500 FU grafts he felt he could harvest; that I have a megasession of 1750 follicular unit grafts and a second session of 750 so that the most strategic graft placement could be effected.

And so it was that on January 3rd 2003 I had 1841 grafts.

post1.jpg.23dac7e8cb0a5b6c885c857b774eb7af.jpg

I first started investigating hair-transplant options way back in the 1960s when I was a Norwood 4 and had already exhausted trichologists, scam clinics and all sorts of quack remedies.

At that time there was a very limited number of doctors performing hair-transplant surgery in the U.K., which was where I resided. I had a large number of 4mm plugs in sessions of 20 at a time. It worked pretty well because they were interspersed amongst my existing hair but over the ensuing years, as the balding process continued, the tell-tale toothbrush effect became apparent and this caused me a great deal of distress.

By 1991 I had had enough of people's eyes moving up to my scalp when engaged in conversation with me and I decided to explore more surgery to try to conceal the pluggy look. At that time I was in Toronto and interviewed a number of doctors who had perfected micro and minigrafting. I decided that Dr. David Seager offered me my very best chances and received a total of 554 minigrafts and 335 micrografts. The procedure was carried out with a minimum of discomfort and I was very pleased with the results. Finally, I had lost that awful pluggy look and people never again moved their eyes up to my hairline. It was a great relief.

Unfortunately over the next 10 years I pretty well lost all my remaining original hair and was now effectively a Norwood 7 and had developed.

I saw an advertisement for the Seager Hair Transplant Centre and was immediately encouraged by the enormous strides that had been made with all follicular unit micrograft megasessions. By now a seasoned hair transplant veteran, I sought another consultation with Dr. Seager and the more I researched the more enthusiastic I became to try out the new technology to fill in the temples, improve the density of some areas and to soften my hairline.

Now faced with a very limited amount of donor hair availability Dr. Seager suggested out of the approximate 2500 FU grafts he felt he could harvest; that I have a megasession of 1750 follicular unit grafts and a second session of 750 so that the most strategic graft placement could be effected.

And so it was that on January 3rd 2003 I had 1841 grafts.

On October 24th 2003 had the 2nd and final session of 707 grafts.

I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled with the results so far and cannot speak highly enough of Dr. Seager and his highly skilled professional staff, many of whom have worked under his supervision for several years. The last procedure that I had was the most comfortable and painless I have experienced and healing was rapid and without any problem. To my surprise I had almost no numbness at all around the donor region.

I have been following this forum for quite a long time and decided to post my story because I believe there are not many posts from people whose experience goes back to the sixties from Norwood 3 to 7.

I also believe that Dr. David Seager, who is highly regarded by his peers (recipient of the Golden Follicle Award), does really excellent work but does not appear to enjoy the credit he merits on this forum. I have noted that whenever a positive testimonial appears from an enthusiastic patient or when a prospective patient indicates he is considering surgery with Dr. Seager, it seems to me it is quickly followed by posts from the regular contributors who are quick to say " yes but you should also consider Dr. X, Y and Z" etc. This has often left me with the feeling that perhaps some vested interests were behind the motivation for these posts.

I do not intend to become a long-term contributor to this forum but I shall be posting some photos showing the progress of this my final hair transplant procedure.

If I were to offer any advice from my experience it would be, as others have often voiced, to think very seriously how any procedures will look not just in your 20s but over the rest of your life as the balding process continues to take its toll. There are some great doctors out there and clearly many others who are less skilled. For my money you should certainly include Dr. David Seager of the the Seager Hair Transplant Centre in your short list of recommended top hair-transplant surgeons.

post2.jpg.dd25fea8fe43df301254656da36ded31.jpg

Owaldwasbald,

Dr. Seager does fine work and is very highly regarded amongst his peers. It's ashame that his patients aren't more forthcoming on this forum. Maybe you've started something.

You and I have something in common as we both go back a long way. CONGRATULATIONS on taking control by making a fine choice in Dr.Seager.

Jim

Uncjim's Journey

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

• 2 weeks later...