Looking to start on Propecia/Proscar...

HairySituation

Hey all,

As of right now... I am a 23 year old male and would say that my hair loss right now seems to be the whole scalp. When wet, I do not really see any specific pattern, except that it looks really bad all over and you can see my scalp a lot more than i've ever remembered.

When my hair is dry, it doesn't look bad really... and that's how i hope to keep it! I want to get onto Propecia... or more likely Proscar and cut that into fourths since I'm a poor college graduate right now.. I'm a bit scared to start on it right now though... and that's because...

Recently i've run into this problem when I started using Head and Shoulders... I don't know why i even started using it since my scalp was fine and I never had dandruff or scabbing in my life... but by using this shampoo i noticed i was actually getting a really bad case of dandruff... and since I've stopped using it... now I have this scabbing over my scalp... especially in the crown area. I tried using neutrogena's T/Sal shampoo, which was supposed to aid a bumpy scalp... and boy was that a bad idea.... so much hair shed because of that... and right now my scalp is very dry... scabbed... and not having health insurance i do not know what to do.

I'm scared about what to put on my head because I do not want to cause anymore damage. Prior to head and shoulders... I can tell my hair was thinning. Since I prefer long hair, I can feel that most of the hair follicles were short stubby ones instead of long ones like how it should be. So the follicles are still there for the most part... they're just in a thinning phase I guess. I was hoping that by starting on proscar now... I would be able to halt the shedding... and allow for these short follicles to grow long again and catch up to the others... giving me the dense thick hair I always had. I know that I must act now to preserve the hair follicles before they start comin out... but this dry scalp business is scaring me.

Any idea what I can do to clean my scalp and rid of this scabbing and dryness... without shampoo? I use Nizoral sometimes but it's not really getting rid of the scabs...

Thanks for listening,

Chris

Hey all,

As of right now... I am a 23 year old male and would say that my hair loss right now seems to be the whole scalp. When wet, I do not really see any specific pattern, except that it looks really bad all over and you can see my scalp a lot more than i've ever remembered.

When my hair is dry, it doesn't look bad really... and that's how i hope to keep it! I want to get onto Propecia... or more likely Proscar and cut that into fourths since I'm a poor college graduate right now.. I'm a bit scared to start on it right now though... and that's because...

Recently i've run into this problem when I started using Head and Shoulders... I don't know why i even started using it since my scalp was fine and I never had dandruff or scabbing in my life... but by using this shampoo i noticed i was actually getting a really bad case of dandruff... and since I've stopped using it... now I have this scabbing over my scalp... especially in the crown area. I tried using neutrogena's T/Sal shampoo, which was supposed to aid a bumpy scalp... and boy was that a bad idea.... so much hair shed because of that... and right now my scalp is very dry... scabbed... and not having health insurance i do not know what to do.

I'm scared about what to put on my head because I do not want to cause anymore damage. Prior to head and shoulders... I can tell my hair was thinning. Since I prefer long hair, I can feel that most of the hair follicles were short stubby ones instead of long ones like how it should be. So the follicles are still there for the most part... they're just in a thinning phase I guess. I was hoping that by starting on proscar now... I would be able to halt the shedding... and allow for these short follicles to grow long again and catch up to the others... giving me the dense thick hair I always had. I know that I must act now to preserve the hair follicles before they start comin out... but this dry scalp business is scaring me.

Any idea what I can do to clean my scalp and rid of this scabbing and dryness... without shampoo? I use Nizoral sometimes but it's not really getting rid of the scabs...

Thanks for listening,

Chris

Chris,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

I do find it interesting that overuse of anti-dandruff shampoo can cause a dry flakey scalp and dandruff.

It's probably best to get your scalp evaluated by a dermatologist who can evaluate your scalp and tell you what the "scabs" actually are and then recommend a proper treatment for the condition.

If you are experiencing thinning hair due to male pattern baldness, you might want to consider using Propecia and Rogaine in combination with one another which will give you the greatest chance of restoring some hair medically. But getting your scalp condition evaluated by a dermatologist is an important first step.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...