Optical Illusion?

Yet another question for the hair-restored populace...

Was looking at the newly posted, fascinatingly gory photos of my follicular transformation that Spex was gracious enough to post (on the UK site, here: http://stophairlossnow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1093), and wondering:

1) When I look at the "top view" of my dome, either in photos or in the mirror, I see the acres of uniform little holes (which I assume to be follicles, since areas of my head behind the construction zone that I know are hairless appear smooth at that magnification).

2) ...yet when I look at a side or front view, I can see somewhat faint burr of hairs sticking up, all about 1/2 cm in length or so, that in aggregate looks somehow as if less area was covered.

Is it that EVERY relocated follicle has a little hair in it? Or that I'm simply seeing, in scenario 2), the follicles that happen to have a visible hair intact whereas 1) is a somewhat more accurate picture of what I have? I also noticed, post-op, a couple of small hairs (maybe a few millimeters long) lying on my scalp (between others that were standing up) but attached to nothing, as if they were clipped/shed -- which would account for what I see in 2). After all, what counts is the "engine" of the follicle itself that regenerates the hair, rather than the hair itself...hence the 3-month graft shed.

I know...I am analyzing this far too much. In part, it fascinates me; in part, the thought of that much "turf" finally being covered again, and of what it promises, is pretty damned exciting!

Benjamin

Yet another question for the hair-restored populace...

Was looking at the newly posted, fascinatingly gory photos of my follicular transformation that Spex was gracious enough to post (on the UK site, here: http://stophairlossnow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1093), and wondering:

1) When I look at the "top view" of my dome, either in photos or in the mirror, I see the acres of uniform little holes (which I assume to be follicles, since areas of my head behind the construction zone that I know are hairless appear smooth at that magnification).

2) ...yet when I look at a side or front view, I can see somewhat faint burr of hairs sticking up, all about 1/2 cm in length or so, that in aggregate looks somehow as if less area was covered.

Is it that EVERY relocated follicle has a little hair in it? Or that I'm simply seeing, in scenario 2), the follicles that happen to have a visible hair intact whereas 1) is a somewhat more accurate picture of what I have? I also noticed, post-op, a couple of small hairs (maybe a few millimeters long) lying on my scalp (between others that were standing up) but attached to nothing, as if they were clipped/shed -- which would account for what I see in 2). After all, what counts is the "engine" of the follicle itself that regenerates the hair, rather than the hair itself...hence the 3-month graft shed.

I know...I am analyzing this far too much. In part, it fascinates me; in part, the thought of that much "turf" finally being covered again, and of what it promises, is pretty damned exciting!

Benjamin