Recommendations for a doctor in the Iowa/Illinois area?

I live in eastern Iowa and I was hoping someone who has had a positive experience with a doctor in the vicinity could provide me with some info and costs. Also, what should I expect in terms of cost per graph for a well-reviewed doctor? I'd say I'm a 2 on the scale.

I live in eastern Iowa and I was hoping someone who has had a positive experience with a doctor in the vicinity could provide me with some info and costs. Also, what should I expect in terms of cost per graph for a well-reviewed doctor? I'd say I'm a 2 on the scale.

I'll start out by recommending the two that are bordering your state that are also members of the Coalition Surgeons (see the link at the top of this site). Dr. Konior is in Chicago, Illinois and Dr. Shapiro is in Minnesota. I'm consulting with each currently to plan my 2nd HT.

You can start by consulting with each, but, I would recommend you thoroughly research this site. There are posts with former patients of each that will be very helpful to you.

I had my first HT a year ago, received 1200 FUT's and paid $4,000 which averages $3.33 per graft. I have consulted with a few so far in my search for the 2nd procedure and they do vary a little. If I were to give you an average, I'd say around $4 per graft with some as high as $5 and some as low as $3. Sometimes, the amount you receive makes a difference. It seems to be discounted if you receive over 1500-2000 in some cases. Someone on the site just posted their HT experience and said they were quoted $8,500 for 2000, but if they wanted 3000 it was only $9500.

I think you can negotiate a little with some of them, but not with others.

There are other HT surgeons in and around your area that I'm sure would be fine, but, for something as delicate and "appearance-related" as this, I'd recommend going with someone from the coalition. Also, don't rule out flying somewhere. I didn't the first time, but am planning to this time. Many of the clinics offer 50% or more reimbursment for travel making this a very viable alternative.

Again, refer to this site for past experiences. There's some great information. I can't tell you how much I've learned since my first procedure in only 1 years time just by reviewing the posts and looking at actual results.

I hope this helps,

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

murdoc--- Shapiro, Rose, Konier will be your best options. With that said, location should NOT be a real consideration if you are truly looking for the best HT doctor for you. You are in luck as these doctors are well within driving distance if you desire a roadtrip icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Check out Dr.Konier in Chicago, he is a people person and very easy to talk too.He will let you know up front what is possible and whats not.I am on the 2 month waiting list for him to do my TP in may.

Good luck to ya!

Newscan.gif