Not a lick of progress

BaldingHateIt

Here we are, 2005 is upon us...and the best we have for hairloss:

1. Propecia...just delays the day of reckoning for most....

2. Avodart...unapproved, anecdotal evidence says better than Propecia, but no wonder drug....

3. Minoxidil...messy, pain to use, limited benefit to frontal/temporal areas....

4. Herbal remedies...a license to steal....

5. HTs: hit or miss, mainly miss...costly, usually obvious...even if FUT, the bizarre "HT pattern" - no hair in the temples w/a peninsula of hair jutting out - hardly convinces...I can spot 'em in a second.

Where are we? why is the field stopped dead in in its tracks?

Here we are, 2005 is upon us...and the best we have for hairloss:

1. Propecia...just delays the day of reckoning for most....

2. Avodart...unapproved, anecdotal evidence says better than Propecia, but no wonder drug....

3. Minoxidil...messy, pain to use, limited benefit to frontal/temporal areas....

4. Herbal remedies...a license to steal....

5. HTs: hit or miss, mainly miss...costly, usually obvious...even if FUT, the bizarre "HT pattern" - no hair in the temples w/a peninsula of hair jutting out - hardly convinces...I can spot 'em in a second.

Where are we? why is the field stopped dead in in its tracks?

I do not think we are still in the water as far as the improvements that have been made in hair transplants. The last few years have given us proven results in using microscopes exclusively to achieve smaller grafts which lead to smaller incisions and ultimately more natural results!

The research is on going with cell multiplication with Intercytex leading the studies. Dr. Cooley has been involved with this for years and is an active participant. The annual meeting of the ISHRS is to promote, discuss and teach new transplant surgeons and the existing physicians all the findings for the past year.

Medications will always be a challenge and who knows what the future holds in that regard. The long term studies are not yet available for Propecia but it does effectively slow the loss and buy time. It is still the best we have right now.

I am impressed with the progress I have seen in this industry over the last few years and I have no doubt that the future is bright. If we can hold onto the hair you have until cloning is available and the inplantation techniques are perfected, well, then who knows????

Happy Holidays !

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Balding,

I think that your post was made mainly out of frustration.

The medications (Finasteride or Dutasteride, Minoxidil, Nizoral 2%, topical DHT inhibitors) combined can have amazing results over time. Coupled with a first-class hair transplant (given adequate donor area) can yield outstanding results. As far as your comment regarding "the bizarre "HT pattern" - no hair in the temples w/a peninsula of hair jutting out - hardly convinces...I can spot 'em in a second." This is hardly a fair assessment of today's techniques in hair transplantation by the physician's listed in the Coalition of Independant Hair Restoration Physicians. These physicians take great care in determining graft placement to give the transplanted hair the utmost in natural results.

As far as newer technology and research, like Ailene said, progress is being made. Intercytex is very generously funded and employs many of the best physicians in the world. Things are happening.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog