Smoking after a HT

I wonder what people's opinions on this are.

I know that smoking decreases bloodflow which would theoretically slow down the healing & growth rate. For this reason, I initially quit smoing for a few weeks after my own surgery. However, then I decided to quit worrying and went back to happily puffing away.

The hair grew out just fine (my HT was done by Dr. Feller in Long Island) and I'm very happy with the results at 8 months. Hard to believe more is going to grow!

In all fairness I do have to say that I'm a bit of a workout junkie. I've scaled back the past 2 months and only work out 5 days/week, but worked out daily the the first 7 or so months after, skipping the months immediately post-op so as to not have the scar stretch. I'm also fairly young at 28.

So, what is it? All else being equal: surgeon skill etc. If you're a lazy couch potato, don't smoke but if you exercise regularly, feel free to? Or is smoking just not that important?

YoungGuy,

As a general rule, healthy living is important for reasons other than your hair.

Therefore quitting smoking and exercising regularly is part of healthy living.

If you are asking whether or not being a couch potato and smoking are going to stop your newly transplanted hairs from growing? I would say no - however, some hair restoration physicians may have some pre or post op requirements on smoking. It's best to check with them.

Bill

I was watching TV the other day... they had some guy on. I think he was a general or something.

But he was also a doctor. What did they call him...

Oh yeah, the Surgeon General. And HE said smoking causes lung cancer, so glad I could share that with you before something bad happens. =)

Good luck!

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7