My transplant experience

I had 2165 FU transplant done about 10 days ago. The experience was somewhat as I expected but the things that surprised me were:

1) The doctor doesn't actually insert the transplanted follicles himself. His staff does. I guess this makes more sense and speeds up the procedure. I had three techs inserting hairs at one time during part of the procedure.

2) I saw one tech with a blob of what looked like fish guts on the back of his hand. They were my follicles. He picks them off his hand and inserts them. I thought, what if someone bumps him and they end up on the floor?

3) The initial injections were very uncomfortable but once the scalp went numb, I couldn't feel a thing. The most bothersome thing was sitting still in that chair for six hours. I was allowed to get up once to use the bathroom.

4) I swelled quite a bit after surgery and the swelling progressed down my face. The day after, I looked like Frankenstein. Day two, Arnold Schwartzenegger. Day three, a China man. Day four, a person with Downs syndrome. Finally, at day five, I looked normal again.

I treated my scalp like a newborn baby and followed the graftcyte instructions meticulously. On the seventh day, I shampooed with the graftcyte shampoo and, as the instructions said, I got a little more aggressive and washed the transplanted area gently with the tips of my fingers and rinsed with a gentle shower spray. After drying off, I noticed a number (about 100) of little 1/8 inch white 'noodles' on my scalp. I prayed these were just scabs but I couldn't help but think they were follocles that came loose. I called the office and they said these were just the crusting and flaking that normally occurs. She said that it's rare that any follicles come out after five days and if they did, I'd see blood (I hope she's right). Now, about 95% of my scabs have fallen off and I doubt anybody could tell I had the procedure done. About 70% of the transplanted hair is still remaining and I'm hoping it doesn't fall out but I'm told that most of it will as the follicles go through their dormant stage.

Now, as others have said, the waiting (the hardest part) begins. My wife asked me, "What if only half of them grow in? Did you get a guarantee? Will they re-do those that didn't grow in?

Good question.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the response from the doctor

I had 2165 FU transplant done about 10 days ago. The experience was somewhat as I expected but the things that surprised me were:

1) The doctor doesn't actually insert the transplanted follicles himself. His staff does. I guess this makes more sense and speeds up the procedure. I had three techs inserting hairs at one time during part of the procedure.

2) I saw one tech with a blob of what looked like fish guts on the back of his hand. They were my follicles. He picks them off his hand and inserts them. I thought, what if someone bumps him and they end up on the floor?

3) The initial injections were very uncomfortable but once the scalp went numb, I couldn't feel a thing. The most bothersome thing was sitting still in that chair for six hours. I was allowed to get up once to use the bathroom.

4) I swelled quite a bit after surgery and the swelling progressed down my face. The day after, I looked like Frankenstein. Day two, Arnold Schwartzenegger. Day three, a China man. Day four, a person with Downs syndrome. Finally, at day five, I looked normal again.

I treated my scalp like a newborn baby and followed the graftcyte instructions meticulously. On the seventh day, I shampooed with the graftcyte shampoo and, as the instructions said, I got a little more aggressive and washed the transplanted area gently with the tips of my fingers and rinsed with a gentle shower spray. After drying off, I noticed a number (about 100) of little 1/8 inch white 'noodles' on my scalp. I prayed these were just scabs but I couldn't help but think they were follocles that came loose. I called the office and they said these were just the crusting and flaking that normally occurs. She said that it's rare that any follicles come out after five days and if they did, I'd see blood (I hope she's right). Now, about 95% of my scabs have fallen off and I doubt anybody could tell I had the procedure done. About 70% of the transplanted hair is still remaining and I'm hoping it doesn't fall out but I'm told that most of it will as the follicles go through their dormant stage.

Now, as others have said, the waiting (the hardest part) begins. My wife asked me, "What if only half of them grow in? Did you get a guarantee? Will they re-do those that didn't grow in?

Good question.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the response from the doctor

I TOO HAD THE SAME WHITE(NODDLES) STICKING OUT. I WANT TO TELL YOU THAT THEY WILL DRY OUT AND FALL OFF. IT WILL NOT AFFECT HAIR GROWTH.I HAD MY TRANSPLANT 8 WEEKS AGO AND I AM SEEING SOME REALLY GOOD GROWTH ALREADY.AS TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT SOME FALLING OUT IT IS TRUE THAT YOU WILL BLEED. I HAD A COUPLE FALL OUT AND THERE WAS ALOT OF BLOOD HOWEVER ALL WENT FINE AND THE GROWTH IS GREAT!

eddie

• 5 months later...